Aches and Pains

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Aches and Pains

Post by plummy »

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!

I think a look at your technique would be top of the list of things to look at as your Biceps shouldn't be doing much in the rowing technique. It would imply to me that you are doing more "pulling with your arms" than "pushing with your legs"
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
hewitt
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by hewitt »

When you drive with your legs keep your arms straight, no bend in the arms. Remember that rowing is mostly legs .
You do not bend your arms till after they pass your knees with a slight lean back to finish with the handle across the chest.

Rule number 1...... Silverback gorillas row with there arms because there arms are bigger than there legs. We row with our legs because our legs are the biggest muscles in our body.

If you bend your arms or over grip the handle to tightly it will result in injury to your forearms and lower bicep muscles.
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
Draggon
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Draggon »

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've taken a few days off to hopefully get some healing done. I lifted last night - even bicep curls - and didn't really notice anything out of whack.

I'll try to get some video tomorrow. I don't "think" I'm pulling too much with my arms, but this wouldn't be the first time that what I think and reality have run akilter of each other. :) Had been thinking of getting some feedback on form, but hadn't had the urgency 'til now.
Draggon

Post by Draggon »

Okay, I've posted the video over in the video analysis thread (seemed more appropriate).

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3057&p=133711#p133711

That was kind of fun... :)
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

Weird that this thread should be posted just now. :shock: I'm currently in New Zealand and had a fall when out walking the night before last. I put out my arms to protect myself and seem to have damaged my left shoulder. I currently can't raise my left arm above vertical without it being extremely painful and I'm concerned that I may have torn whatever ligament in my supraspinatus was damaged previously. :evil:

I'm going to see how it is in another day or two and may get it looked at. No point in going to a physio though as I am travelling a lot and longest stay for the next ten days will be 3 days in Queenstown, where we arrived yesterday afternoon.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
gregsmith01748
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Sorry to hear that Paul. I hope it's just a strain and heals quickly.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks Greg. It's a little bit better today and I called into a gym in Queenstown a short while ago and tried pulling a few strokes on one of their ergs. It actually felt OK, so I'll probably do a few meters tomorrow to round off the VTC. I might even have another go at the CTC or the IRL if everything feels really good. :roll: :shock: :lol:

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Daffy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018

Post by Daffy »

Glad to hear you're on the mend Paul, especially as you're in such a fantastic place of opportunity. I have to say I wouldn't be going to a gym if I were there! Queenstown has fond memories for me from long ago - the first place I paraglided (Elf and Safety non-existent! - We were chucked off the hill with one instruction - don't pull both handles at once. Good advice, if somewhat minimal!). Also white water rafting, helicopter rides, and bungy jumping. Ah, those were the days! The food and wine were excellent, the scenery amazing, and the trekking wonderful. Sigh. Manchester suddenly seems a little tame.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks Jane. I managed to do a slowish 20k in total today (well technically it was yesterday as its now Monday morning in New Zealand). Then I went prospecting for gold in Arrowtown (didn't find any unfortunately) and went up on the Gondola ro this huge hill overlooking Queenstown where they do all the paragliding and bungy jumping from. Unfortunately :^o , it was too late in the day to do either activity (phew!), but there were some incredible views over Queenstown, Lake Wakatipu and the nearby mountains.

On to Te Anau today and Milford Sound tomorrow. Shoulder still a bit sore, but rowing doesn't appear to have aggravated it.