Clearing up the ELM website

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

johnglynn
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by johnglynn »

I was thinking it might be a good idea to reset the Free Spirit ELM (delete all the challenges + everyones points) every six months or so (possibly even every 4 months).
Probably at May (Start of rowing year) and then November

We would store all the previous values (peoples points and challenges results) somewhere on the website. The reason for this is a lot of people, myself included invest a lot off time and effort in the challenges. I'm sure Derrylad likes been at the top of the table and I'm sure person XX likes been ahead of person YY, and these things should be recorded.

The Advantages of this (as I see them) are

- It will bring everyone closer points wise. If John and Mary are very similar speed wise (Both names are made up). John is slightly faster. After 1 year John now has 50 points more then Mary (after 100 challenges). Then Mary rows an excellent challenge and scores 3 points more then John. But John is still 47 points ahead. So Marys excellent row made very little difference. And it will take months of excellent rows from Mary to catch up. If the points gaps are smaller each point is more valuable.
For example for over a week myself and PSims have been fighting over the standard ELM 3rd position. As much as it pisses me off to see PSims has changed my 1 point advantage one day into a 2 point advantage for himself the next. It is great motivation to push harder at the ELM challenges.

- It allows new members of the team to complete, (at the moment half the challenges have expired, which of course they should) . This locks huge numbers of points off to new people. Reseting the points in November will allow people who join in September to compete against everyone else, when the new ELM season starts.

- It will hopefully give people extra motivation every 6 months or so to push hard again to try and and beat person XX.

What do people think ? If I'm talking out of my rear end shout up also, I might be a big lad, but I'm on an island far away :wink: , and the other Free Spirit on this island is bigger then me.
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Resetting the scoreboard

Post by plummy »

Yep I agree JohnGlynn. I now look at most people as "way out of reach" so don't feel incentivised to bust a nut to try and catch up - I simply don't have the time of life or energy/ability. I suppose that's where the new proposed algorithm would be useful so I could at least be fighting against people my own age/weight group.
On another point, why are the ELM challenges that expired in June still there - could they be removed so the whole screen is tidied up? :roll:
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

I am not doing ELM at the moment other than the 250km one. Too knackered and don't fancy "wasting" a row by doing a short flat out one. Leaves me knackered for the next day. To be honest I have not even looked at the other challenges recently.

I think that the inactive ones can stay if their times are needed as a benchmark for other challenges. This would not be such a problem if they appeared below the "active" ones. I emailed the webmaster about this a week or so ago, and he said he would "add it to the to-do" list. It should not be a hard jobe - just one that needs to be done!
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

johnglynn wrote:I was thinking it might be a good idea to reset the Free Spirit ELM (delete all the challenges + everyones points) every six months or so (possibly even every 4 months).
Probably at May (Start of rowing year) and then November

We would store all the previous values (peoples points and challenges results) somewhere on the website. The reason for this is a lot of people, myself included invest a lot off time and effort in the challenges. I'm sure Derrylad likes been at the top of the table and I'm sure person XX likes been ahead of person YY, and these things should be recorded.

The Advantages of this (as I see them) are

- It will bring everyone closer points wise. If John and Mary are very similar speed wise (Both names are made up). John is slightly faster. After 1 year John now has 50 points more then Mary (after 100 challenges). Then Mary rows an excellent challenge and scores 3 points more then John. But John is still 47 points ahead. So Marys excellent row made very little difference. And it will take months of excellent rows from Mary to catch up. If the points gaps are smaller each point is more valuable.
For example for over a week myself and PSims have been fighting over the standard ELM 3rd position. As much as it pisses me off to see PSims has changed my 1 point advantage one day into a 2 point advantage for himself the next. It is great motivation to push harder at the ELM challenges.

- It allows new members of the team to complete, (at the moment half the challenges have expired, which of course they should) . This locks huge numbers of points off to new people. Reseting the points in November will allow people who join in September to compete against everyone else, when the new ELM season starts.

- It will hopefully give people extra motivation every 6 months or so to push hard again to try and and beat person XX.

What do people think ? If I'm talking out of my rear end shout up also, I might be a big lad, but I'm on an island far away :wink: , and the other Free Spirit on this island is bigger then me.
John - I think you have raised some excellent points here - this may be why some of the newer members havent joined in.
A further point is that I think people should update the pb table to make it harder to get improvement points. I am guilty of this one myself. The only reason I have not done it is it may effect current points which I feel I have earned. Resetting the league to 0 every 4-6 months would give the whole thing new impetus.
Just my opinion anyway. I will now wait to be shot down :lol:
pb times
PSims
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Agree

Post by PSims »

I agree - most leagues have an end of season and then a new one begins.
The old "closed" challenges get in the way now as well.

Perhaps stop adding new ones for a bit, or set end Sept as latest date.
Then clear down and start again in October.

I've got soooooo many new ideas for Slug baiting.....

Re: PB table - if you update it straight away, the system then gives you zero for improvement. So you have to wait until the challenge you have added to has finished before updating the PB. Bit naff really.
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

steve the slug
Spends too much time in the forum

resetting the challenges

Post by steve the slug »

I agree with what john is saying, we should reset them every 3 or 4 months.

Regarding the 'old' distance challenges, it would be better if there were different monthly ones like 50k, 100k, 150k, 200k, this would give those who know that they cannot achieve anything like the 250k a chance of scoring and also seeing how they compare against similiar people.

i am all for adapting to change, we have just got skype phones in work now.

slug
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit

Post by Gregor Andrews »

I've split these post away from the "Honeymoon period" thread as people might not notice them in there.

By the way, I agree that they should be cleared to get rid of the clutter on the league page.

We could make a thread in here and update it as we remove the expired challenges.
6'6" 1971
PSims
True Free Spirit

Clean sheet in September?

Post by PSims »

We need an "end game" in a league - otherwise it will just peter out.

Anyway, we need to make some room for new challenges so they stand out.

I am thinking....

:arrow: Bollen's Billions :roll:
:arrow: Bespoke 10k 8)
:arrow: Sluggy's Surprise :twisted:
:arrow: Ladies Only :wink:
:arrow: Happy Hour :P
:arrow: Millipede :evil: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :arrow:
...got you interested yet?

P.S. John - didn't know it p1sses you off that I sneak ahead for 3rd - but that's given me a little twinge of satisfaction. Not quite as much as slug baiting, but good fun!!!
Paul

ChrisB

Deletion...

Post by ChrisB »

Agreed with all that has been said...

However, why wait 4 - 6 months, at the end of each challenge, after the Email has been issued stating who beat who etc., why don't we just delete the challenge from the list? :D

By the way, I'm just trying to stay ahead of you all and when I catch Derrylad up... he rows a challenge he's not rowed before and beats me as standard! All good fun though... :D

I've just completed 120km in 7 days... never in my life have I rowed that distance in such a time and am at 175km for the 250km challenge... Its a bugger! I'm aiming for a 20km tomorrow...

Enjoy all...
PSims
True Free Spirit

Saving the data

Post by PSims »

I was thinking of pulling all the results off (absolute and improvement points, and the result distances/times/splits) and storing them somewhere....database, excel or something?

Jonathan - Help? Is this something we could do?

Or...we could create a new "Team" Free Spirits II and leave the old one on-line? Would that work? Flaming IT guys - give them an idea and they start designing a solution! :)
Paul

johnglynn
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: Saving the data

Post by johnglynn »

PSims wrote:Or...we could create a new "Team" Free Spirits II and leave the old one on-line? Would that work? Flaming IT guys - give them an idea and they start designing a solution! :)
Great idea, we would still have the old results on the same website. And it would give us time to get a more permanent solution
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC