3 day global million metre relay - RUNNING TOTAL

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

MaxDev
True Free Spirit

Post by MaxDev »

Well I wrongly though Tricia's 60' PB was 11652m, since that's what ELM shows, but her sig says 12142m, and she's beaten that twice during the relay. New PB then, Tricia? No-one's mentioned it so far.

Would have made things a lot easier for me, had I known. Once I got started I actually felt not too bad, though I was rating 27 for around a 2:00 split instead of my usual 25-6 as my drive was a bit weak.

In some ways, not knowing Tricia's distance probably helped a little as well, since I felt I had to go for it with everything I had left to make absolutely sure we made it to the extra 50km...

Stuck at 2:01 for 52 mins, then upped the pace to 1:57 for 6 mins, then flat out final minute (reaching 1:37 split) - total 14960m. :)

Team 3 day total: 1,051,133 metres 8)

Well done again everyone!

Max
Maxim Devereaux
32, 6'1", less than 100kgs if I'm lucky

PBs:

Designed for living; built for erging
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Well done everyone v proud to be part of this great bunch :D
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Hey Gooner shouldnt you be drunk and incapable by now?
pb times
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Stan, how I so wish that I was :cry:

Was a good laugh being a social outcast like I am I was in the pub by 4 but Graham didn't get there till 5.30 and Janet and Mike turned up about 6. For once in my life I stuck to the script and left only twenty minutes late (busy week haven't seen family no presents or fod for xmas etc etc).

Hope to do it again soon, maybe we could find a venue, train for an hour or two and then get shedded :shock:

One day I'll grow up
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Paul Victory
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Well done Max

I'd like to echo Neil's remarks. What has impressed me most about this TEAM effort is not all the PBs (although that was great) but the fact that everyone stepped up to the plate. There was not a single 'no show' over the entire three days.

Today the world, tomorrow the moon!

Paul
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Mike Channin »

I second all the comments about the 'team spirit' shown during this event. The number of PBs rowed shows just how hard we will all pull for each other. Was a pleasure and an honour to be involved in this with each and every one of you.

Great effort from BWD towards the end there with another massive PB. Another big PB for Stan too. Epic rowing from Tricia hummingbird, and great stuff from Max too. Oh, and special thanks to Paul V for getting involved at short notice and my hassling on Sunday - great work Paul!!!!

Well done for our 'tail enders' for getting us well past the 1,050,000m mark. Fabulous stuff.

Now, what to do next. I think graham may have some good thoughts there....

(Oh and the beer was great and Janet, Graham and the Gooner were wonderful company too, BTW)
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I've analysed the relay results and I thought people might be interested in some overall stats.

Total distance covered was 1,051,133 at an average pace of 2:03.3. Average distance per hour was 14,599 meters.

If we assume that Dave did the 69th leg at an even pace, we passed the million meter mark in 68 hours 24 minutes and 45 seconds.

In total, there were 32 participants, 2 of whom did 6 sessions each (well done, Max and Boris).

In 6 of the sessions, over 16,000 was covered, with two of these by Nick.

I'm not sure how many new PBs were set, but I know there were a lot, including some by very large margins (over 800 m by Shrek).

Most of the people who did more than one session covered the most distance in their first session. However, Stan and Bangers both did their best times at the end, when we were getting close to our (new) target. And Tricia not only did a new PB in her 2nd session, but also got close to her new PB in the 71st leg, when the pressure was on to beat 1.05m.

Well done again to everyone.

Paul
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by plummy »

I've printed off the relay scores and stuck them in pride of place on my office wall - glad to be a (small) part of a wonderful event - here's to the next one!
:) :) :)

I'm miffed I didn't get a pb but it just wasn't there on the day - really well done to all of you who cranked one out :D
Regards

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

What can I see people, I was in the pub rescuing the Gooner from career threatening advances to young ladies whilst you were pushing us over the line!

What a fantastic effort from those who rowed and from those who didn't (this time :twisted: )

I think the final PB board is as follows.

Mike Channin 16025 +25, 90mins + 25k+30k+120mins+35k+150mins+top ten ranked marathon
MaxDev 15518 +195 (plus 30' and 10k)
Rita (Lovely Rita, Erging Metre lady) 13255
Jainser 16117 +834
Nick Shuker 16282 +21
Redshell 14444
Stan 14704 +30
Thomas WP 15643 +500
Tom Barrick 16378
Wolfie 15018 +858
Sam Donoghue 14480 = +14480 and 1m metres
Mark Evans 16243 +111
BorisZ FM 2:53:01.3
Webberg 14221 +80
J Lemon 14141 +438
Paul Victory 15,619 +215
JanetS 12,571 +100
BigWaveDave 15736 +356 and 30' and 10k
Stan 14746 +42
Tricia Colibri ? twice

I make that 32 new PB's in one relay.

If I could bottle this spirit and sell it we'd make a fortune.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Free Spirits Elixir of PB, 2006 Vintage. (warning, may seriously affect your ergo times - take sparingly)
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

I will buy a bottle of that please :lol:

WELL DONE TO ALL

AWESOME

:D :D :D :D
Carole Sergeant
15 million meters achieved Dec 30th 2009
4.5 stone weight lost since mid Jan 2009
Rita
Free Spirit

Post by Rita »

Paul Victory wrote:Well done to everyone.

I really enjoyed watching the progress of the team and taking part and I know the fact that I was part of a bigger whole helped me to achieve a new PB today.

My only concern is, what are we going to do for an encore...?

Paul
I think Concept2 already has our encore lined up....

The 2nd Annual Virtual Team Rowing Challenge – January 2007

http://www.concept2.com/us/motivation/c ... irtual.asp

We invite you to participate in the 2nd annual international online Virtual Team Rowing Challenge, January 1-31, 2007. Form a team of friends, family, co-workers, schoolmates or rowing teammates – you don’t even have to be in same location: you can be a “virtual team.”
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Agreed. Let's go kick some ass (as the American contigent would put it...)
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

You watching the Ashes at that time Mike or are you worried the Suffolk constabulary are coming to knock on yer door :D
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Just got in from 140th Anniversary Dinner of the OTW boat club, where I managed to be one of the last men standing, despite being attacked by illicit Polish Prune Liquor stuff (kind of like drinking varnish, only stronger) :?

Hadn't even thought to try watching the cricket - probably just as well as I'd never have got to bed then...

Am feeling surprisingly normal now - drinking with you lot Friday and Big John last week has obviously tuned up my liver function nicely... 8)
Tom Barrick
True Free Spirit

Post by Tom Barrick »

Awesome work everyone! Not been around for a few days due to the power outages in the US Northwest and freezing temperatures, I think Tricia can commiserate. :x Looking forward to the January Challenge as well!
CTC - ELM - Nonathlon

webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Now that the dust has settled on this event, there are a few things that I would like to mention.

Firstly, the fact that not one baton was dropped says all you need to know about the team spirit here. Given that we all do our thing in the confines of our gym/garage/shed and we rely upon and trust each other's integrity is a rare and valuable attribute in a cynical and sneering world.

Secondly, the guts displayed by the 4 rowers who went off after the million was breached have my total resepct. It would have been very easy to have handled down and done nothing but instead the drive and committment was sustained.

Thirdly, the number of PB's was impressive but better than that were the pieces that were completed when there was no chance of a PB. Most of us, if we're honest, try to PB something every time we sit on the slide. If not PB then we like to think we have done a good piece and could have achieved something if we had gone a little harder. To get on the machine, tired and knowing that a PB was not going to happen but that the team needed the metres displays the altruistic side of all of us.

Fourthly, the support from the non rowing team mates was important. For various reasons some of the team could not do an hour set. Nonetheless they were available to support and encourage and hopefully in the future the next such event will see a wider participation.

Lastly, don't think that this is the end of such things. Paul Sims was right in saying that we could (and perhaps should) have gone on. Knowing what we do now, the next challenge looks more achieveable.

fantastic effort all round and proud to be a Free Spirit. :D
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

Totally agree with all this. I can't remember where the first idea for the relay came from but we certainly bought in with style.

I have started a "what next" thread in the main forum.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days