EIRC 2019 (English Indoor Rowing Championships)

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

EIRC 2019 (English Indoor Rowing Championships)

Post by plummy »

I received confirmation direct from the organiser by e-mail last night that EIRC 2019 is happening (after the cancellation in 2018 owing to refurbishment of the venue):

"Yes we are running the English Indoors on the 3rd Feb 2019. Really hoping to get the entry form and further detail s up soon, but feel free to pass this onto any networks you have that might be interested. I will of course be there on the day so if there is anything I can do either prior to or at the event to help Please just let me know .
Very best wishes Rebecca"

For those that are new/aren't aware, it is held at the National Cycling Centre (Velodrome) in Manchester, just opposite the Etihad (Manchester City) Football ground).
I've checked the football fixtures and Man City are playing Arsenal (BIG game) at home....on the 2nd...phew!!

It's not that far away...!!
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Wolfmiester
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: EIRC 2019 (English Indoor Rowing Championships)

Post by Wolfmiester »

ok, IF I'm in the country ... I'll definitely think about it :-)
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
plummy

Post by plummy »

This has just arrived in my inbox from Rebecca (EIRC organiser):

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/english- ... tocomplete
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
plummy

Post by plummy »

This Sunday it's the English championships in Manchester and I've put my name down again as it is so local to me. I have taken young Andrea Lewis-Coker under my wing and been trying to help her with her training and technique and she has entered the Women's 30~39 HWT race. Her target is a new PB (currently 7:39.x) but I think, looking at her training results she could attack 7:30 and has a fighting chance of a medal (depending who else rocks up). She's up at 10:30 and my race is 12:50.
To be honest, I think this WILL be my last 2k race (where I attend a venue) as I still hate the performance pressure of it all and after 12 years I think I've put in a decent shift.

Next weekend I'll be in Germany for the Starnberg 30 minutes where I hope to at least worry 7500m (but given recent attempts I think 7450 will be a stretch). There's more than a fighting chance that it will be my final race (attended). Never say never but I suspect so.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Have a great day at the races Andrea and Dave! I understand it‘s Andrea‘s first race so I hope your nerves won‘t trouble you. If so, ask Dave, he’s an indoor rowing methusalem (in terms of experience of course, not age :D ), he will know what to do.

Thank you for flying the Free Spirits flag and looking forward to your race reports!
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

sausage, I'd forgotten this :oops:
Weather permitting though, I still might come and cheer you on :wink:
Wolfie

Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Turns out Man City are at home today, and 2 lanes were closed on the M6 North, so I thought best to avoid. sorry about that.
How did go for you both?
Wolfie

plummy

Post by plummy »

Ange's report crept on to a separate thread. Guy was there as well and I saw James Merrey's name in the list but didn't catch up with him at all.

I had an idea that 7:20.0 would be as good as it would get, 7:24.8 was my SB so something in between might be OK. After seeing Andrea row a cracking race I figured I'd better try and beat her time (albeit she's 20 years younger) and I targeted 1:51 splits until the last 2~300 and that's pretty much how it went ending up pulling 1:46/7's ish for the last 150m. Stroke rate held at 30~31 and ended up with 7:21.3 - which is OK given I'd have been over the moon with sub 7:20. Many people were complaining about the dry air and me amongst them, not so much during the race but after and well into the afternoon it felt like someone had had a go at my throat with a rasp.

Thanks Wolfie for even considering coming and to Jill for her message of good luck. I'll let Guy tell his own story when he gets home and recovered. He promised to be lore active on the forum ;-) ;-)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Tako »

Congrats Dave!
Sounds like a very good result to me!

When I got a notification about whether problems at Munich airport, I thought you were unlucky like last year when travelling to Starnberg, but now I realised that I mixed the weekends.
Good luck next weekend and hopefully the air there won’t be as dry. Although last year it was if I remember correctly...
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Congratulations on a great race and a new SB Dave! =D>

Take, yes, Starnberg is next weekend and yes, the air there is very dry.
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Well done Dave and great to hear you achieved a SB. Good luck at Starnberg and I hope it won't be your last race because I have a small Starnberg itch that I suspect will need scratched one day.

Looking forward to seeing Guy's race report because from the photos it looks like he struck gold!
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
GuidonTheBee
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by GuidonTheBee »

Well raced Andrea & Dave. Second with a PB & a seasons best respectively - excellent performances both !

As mentioned by Plummy, I was as at the English IRC last Sunday and I promised to try & be a bit more active on the forum. (This isn't the first time I've tried to be a bit more active but I'm no quitter ;) ! )

I wasn't sure whether or not to enter the EIRC, mostly because having peaked for the Scottish IRC, Welsh IRC & BRIC before Christmas, and being really pleased with what I'd achieved, I wanted to get stuck into a decent few months of base building. However, I've done the EIRC a few times & it's a good, well organised event and I knew there would be quite a few people to catch up with so I decided to stick an entry for the 2k & 500m in at the last minute. I'd done almost nothing fast since BRIC, just a few 100m & a single 1 minute for the IRC so I thought it'd be good to go & see some friends, support my sport & have a bit of fun.

Needless to say, by the time I got to the Velodrome my competitive spirit had kicked in & I was regretting not doing any race prep ! I knew I wasn't in shape to go out hard for time, so my race plans were roughly to go out fairly conservatively, try and stay within contact of the leader if I could & then either see if I could pick anyone off or defend whatever position I had in the final stages.

My 2k category weren't racing until 12:50, meaning a 10:50 - 11:50 weigh in window which meant I had a chance to catch up with a few people but ended up missing Andreas race while getting set for weigh in unfortunately.

For the 2k I pretty much stuck to my plan. The early leader went >30m up on me which was more than I'd hoped for but I wasn't confident to push any harder so I held steadyish at 1:42-1:43, mostly in 4th or 5th place I think. I was struck by a terrible dry mouth after about 750m but managed to mentally file that under 'Unpleasant but not a priority'. Somewhere around 700m to go I started to press on a little although I don't think it had much of an impact, probably because everyone else was starting to think the same way ! At 300m to go I dared to apply full pressure ("One minute to go - whats the worst that could happen ..."), though I didn't rate up much, which did a decent job of reducing the gap to the leader, good enough for 2nd in the end (6:47.1). It seemed like a really good, close race with a few of us all finishing within quite a close timeframe.

My lack of recent speedwork was even more evident in the 500m. As is often the case with sprints the first half felt great, pulling way faster splits than I should have been & consciously having to back off to something more sensible. Then the final 200m seemed to last forever, pulling through treacle which was just getting thicker & thicker. At the BRIC I had been tailing off but this was far more dramatic and it was a huge fight to cling on to the win (1:28.0). I think second place was catching me & I don't think I'd have been able to hold him off for much longer !

All in all a great day. Good to catch up with people with just a couple of bits of discomfort along the way ;)
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Congratulations and thank you for the race report =D> =D> =D>.

20190206_164930.jpg
20190206_164930.jpg (111.52 KiB) Viewed 3265 times
20190206_164955.jpg
20190206_164955.jpg (164.72 KiB) Viewed 3265 times
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Well done Guy - a great pair of times, especially considering you're not 'match' fit
Felton H
Tako

Post by Tako »

Congratulations Guy! Great performance!!
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺