Where to start?

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

RowingForChange
Warming up
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Where to start?

Post by RowingForChange »

Hi there firstly like to say a big hello from glasgow hope everyone is well and look forward to meeting new people on here.

Now as the title suggests I'm really looking to ask where I begin with rowing?

Literally just purchased a concept 2 indoor D rower with the pm3 monitor, purchased for £350. It's in good condition so I feel I got myself a bargain.

Anyway enough of that, looking to see where I should start literally no idea where to begin in terms of getting fitter and better at rowing.

Any advice at all would be very much appreciated. I know these things are horrible at first but really feel I've got the determination to stick with it and get better.

Thanks in advance,
RFC
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Where to start?

Post by plummy »

Welcome to Free Spirits RFC and congrats on your bargain purchase. Over time you might find it's the best £350.00 you ever spent!

You've made important first steps in getting the right equipment and joining a motivated and supportive team who are happy to work around whatever aspirations and/or ability you have.

Regarding where to start there are a couple of questions need to answered:
Do you have any history in sport/fitness - i.e. are you moving from another sport cut short by injury (running/rugby etc) or taking up sport for the first time?
What are your goals? - weight loss/general fitness improvement or hoping to get "competitive"

Technique is very important and although (unless your technique is extremely bad) you are very unlikely to hurt yourself, it would be better to look at some technique videos (there's loads out there on the the internet) so you perhaps don't build in bad habits at the start that you will have to work twice as hard to remove further down the line.

As an absolute beginner, I would be inclined just to get o the machine and row at a comfortable pace for a comfortable length of time and build slowly from wherever you find you are - whether that be 10 minutes at 3 minutes per 500m or 20 minutes at 2:30 pace. Once you've built something of a base you could then look at some of the generic training plans out the such as The Pete Plan or Pete Plan Light. (I don't have links to these to hand but I'm sure others will plonk them on later posts).

Golden rule - don't try to do too much too soon and get injured/ill. Other than that, enjoy and stay in touch for any questions or support you want

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
RowingForChange
Warming up
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by RowingForChange »

plummy wrote:Welcome to Free Spirits RFC and congrats on your bargain purchase. Over time you might find it's the best £350.00 you ever spent!

You've made important first steps in getting the right equipment and joining a motivated and supportive team who are happy to work around whatever aspirations and/or ability you have.

Regarding where to start there are a couple of questions need to answered:
Do you have any history in sport/fitness - i.e. are you moving from another sport cut short by injury (running/rugby etc) or taking up sport for the first time?
What are your goals? - weight loss/general fitness improvement or hoping to get "competitive"

Technique is very important and although (unless your technique is extremely bad) you are very unlikely to hurt yourself, it would be better to look at some technique videos (there's loads out there on the the internet) so you perhaps don't build in bad habits at the start that you will have to work twice as hard to remove further down the line.

As an absolute beginner, I would be inclined just to get o the machine and row at a comfortable pace for a comfortable length of time and build slowly from wherever you find you are - whether that be 10 minutes at 3 minutes per 500m or 20 minutes at 2:30 pace. Once you've built something of a base you could then look at some of the generic training plans out the such as The Pete Plan or Pete Plan Light. (I don't have links to these to hand but I'm sure others will plonk them on later posts).

Golden rule - don't try to do too much too soon and get injured/ill. Other than that, enjoy and stay in touch for any questions or support you want

Plummy
Hi mate thanks for taking the time to reply...

Yeah I have been keeping an eye out for them and that was the lowest one I've seen thus far so really pleased.

As far as previous history in sports I used to play football when at school but since I've left and got into full time employment I seem to "not have the time" to do any form of exercise but I've given myself a shake and focused on getting a better diet/lifestyle changes and now I'm looking to introduce cardio to further aid getting myself looking better.

Been watching loads of videos online about technique and aiming to get it nailed and focusing on a smooth consistent paced row seems to be what everyone stresses about.
zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

Welcome RowingForChange! Always a pleasure to see new rowers!
RowingForChange wrote:... looking to see where I should start literally no idea where to begin in terms of getting fitter and better at rowing.
plummy wrote:As an absolute beginner, I would be inclined just to get o the machine and row at a comfortable pace for a comfortable length of time and build slowly from wherever you find you are - whether that be 10 minutes at 3 minutes per 500m or 20 minutes at 2:30 pace. Once you've built something of a base you could then look at some of the generic training plans out the such as The Pete Plan or Pete Plan Light. (I don't have links to these to hand but I'm sure others will plonk them on later posts).

Some very good advice from Plummy. Not much I can add. :fsbgrin:

I'm not sure what the 'Pete Plan Light' is; I think Dave might be referring to the 'Beginner Training'.

Anyway here are a couple of links.

The Pete Plan
The Pete Plan - Beginner Training

Let us know if you have any questions, and please keep us posted on your progress!

Cheers,
zoot
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by CamiCrew »

Hi Rowing for Change!

Just want to say welcome! You've taken a great first step by introducing yourself.

=D>

Cheers! Enjoy your new purchase.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

A huge " Hello ", RFC.

If you haven't done so already, then Zoot's excellent, introductory post on the Beginner's Thread, is well worth reading.

Go steady now.

Jill :)