A blind 1K

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model D with PM5

A blind 1K

Post by Recess »

Just posted this on my blog, but thought I'd put it on here too - in case anyone had any feedback.

I wonder how I'd have got on if I hadn't covered the monitor.

As next week I'm going to 'Madchester' where I'll be racing some big boys at a 1K - I thought I'd see how I was faring today. The answer is not too well - but the caveat was that I covered the monitor - so I'd let my body do the talking instead of looking at the numbers on the monitor.

End result was 3:11.1 - 3 seconds slower than the Scottish Champs last year, but faster than the World Sprint challenge in March. To be honest, I don't really know how I feel about this. I know I need to do better. I know I can do better - which means I'm disappointed but also hopeful. If that makes sense.

The row itself was interesting. I felt ok through the first 350m, then it started to get tough. At 450m to go I had to slow the rate a little bit (not much) and go for harder pulls. I don't think this helped my final time at all well. As you can see in the graph below:

My plan tomorrow and Tuesday is to set the monitor to 1000m - then see how far I can hold a 1:33,5 average for. If I can manage it for 700m at least, then hopefully the last 300m will go through the energy of being in the company of my team.
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: A blind 1K

Post by plummy »

Your "not too well" is still 13 seconds faster than my PB from around 7 years ago so there's nothing shabby about that time at all. The fact you got that close (within 2%) with nothing to chase, nothing chasing you and no feedback is amazing in itself.

We all know that if you are close to catching someone ahead. winning a race, looking like losing a race then adrenaline can kick in to drag a bit more performance. If you had some sort of feedback on your pace and the row REALLY mattered, you'd certainly have found at least a couple of seconds more.

High drag you have there John.
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
Recess

Post by Recess »

165. It's the only way to roll...

Thanks for the comments, really appreciate it. Let's see what happens on Saturday!!

John

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Ooooh, very interesting idea and gr8 execution, John :!: =D> =D> Looks like you had a timer or clock to support you :?: :!:
Well, for me a 1k is where you need not listen to your body at all, especially in the last 400m.

Anyways, I could listen to the sound of the flywheel... I seem to remember some test on Facebook on brain dominance, so I guess that´s not your thing (with music and stuff - that´s more my kind of thing... :wink: :wink: ). For me the sound changed a little at the shift of each minute, most remarkedly at the 1 minute mark which also shows on the graph more or less...

Are you going for the BR Saturday, John, and if you do - do you have a race plan (that you would like to reveal) :?: :!: :?: :wink:

(Well, I had hoped for the company of Jon, and that at least one of the heavy guys could beat you - so now it´s pretty much up to me, isn´t it... :lol: :lol: :wink: )
(Sorry, you like the rounded back and you come very well forward at the catch - still I prefer a more straight back like: https://www.facebook.com/DecentRowing/v ... nref=story)

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
Recess

Post by Recess »

Yeah, I'm trying to work on the back thing. It seems my natural posture is a rounded back. When I do straighten up, I notice the splits drop...

And yes, going to try for the BR on Saturday. Up until today I wasn't too sure, but I managed 700m at the right pace, and stopped short because I didn't want to knacker myself.

Plan? Erm, big power for 5 strokes, then start counting down. Today I used Plummy's technique of counting down in 11's. Means I get to a certain point and don't see extra strokes needed, which can be crushing!

So if I can hold an average of 1:33.5 until 300 to go, and then just beast it home, hopefully it'll work out ok. It'll be close, so I'm going to need all the yelling I can get!!

John

Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Recess wrote:Yeah, I'm trying to work on the back thing. It seems my natural posture is a rounded back. When I do straighten up, I notice the splits drop...

And yes, going to try for the BR on Saturday. Up until today I wasn't too sure, but I managed 700m at the right pace, and stopped short because I didn't want to knacker myself.

Plan? Erm, big power for 5 strokes, then start counting down. Today I used Plummy's technique of counting down in 11's. Means I get to a certain point and don't see extra strokes needed, which can be crushing!

So if I can hold an average of 1:33.5 until 300 to go, and then just beast it home, hopefully it'll work out ok. It'll be close, so I'm going to need all the yelling I can get!!

John
Yes, to me it seems you got it all right, John :!: :D

It´s all about will those last 300-400m :!: :idea:

And important to stay in those 11 (or 12 or whatever they are), as Plummy says :!: :fssmile: :fssmile:

Soooo, it´s all up to you on Saturday :!: =D> =D> =D>

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway