Life after Sam

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Life after Sam

Post by Recess »

I, like many others on here, have spent the past three months following a fantastic training plan designed by Sam Blythe at Fitness Matters .

A fantastic, varied, well structured and well supported plan - and I know I've improved since starting it.

But as this plan draws to a close, and a new one is set to take its place in a few week's time, I'm trying to decide whether to continue in his hands, or focus on something else instead.

Benefits of his plan really boil down to structure and support. Having a plan that you feel duty bound to follow in the timescale helps jettison any motivation problems - and the support network of the Facebook group is worth the money alone.

Down sides are that I don't feel it's giving me enough focus on the 1K attempt I want to do in November. Yes, the 2K, 5K and 10K will improve, but there's not that many eyes bleeding, lungs bursting sessions to help me deal with 3 minutes at all out power

So, like I said, I have to decide what to do next. Sam? Pete? Wolverine? Make something up myself? Pay Sam to design a 1K plan?

I'm thinking Pete plan with some supplementation - but I'll really miss the "We're all in this, at the same stage together" part that I get with Sam...

Just a rant, but any thoughts are welcomed!

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
gregsmith01748
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: Life after Sam

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Stick with Sam, add 1 session of sprints (250 to 750m) and tack on some peak power work at the end of 2 steady state sessions a week. I think company and structure are worth sticking with. And I'm sure Sam would help you with your side project.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
Recess
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Recess »

Great advice. I've been adding high rate high (for me) speed sessions alongside his stuff anyway - so I could just continue on with the community side of things.

But what I'll do is ask Sam for his thoughts on how I should be supplementing, rather than just making it up on my own.

Cheers Greg.

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

John, I've also been wondering about this.

I followed Sam's initial trial program for a few weeks before I was forced to withdraw due to injuries sustained off erg while on my travels. Then I decided at the last moment to take part in the latest program, but have fallen slightly behind due to issues related to my earlier injuries.

Having said this, there's no doubt that I am finding it very motivational to have the support of the group doing the program and the structure is forcing me to keep going when I might otherwise have taken a break. I've almost caught up with the outstanding sessions and I'm finding the latest sessions challenging but achievable and I feel I've definitely made progress over the last 5 weeks. How much of this is due to Sam's program and how much is due to general recovery following my injuries is difficult to assess.

I'll be heading off to Portugal at the end of the week after the current program ends and heading over again for two weeks at the start of July. I've more or less decided not to sign up for the next 8 week course, but I may subscribe to general FM membership and start doing some of Sam's WODs. However, I'll probably take a few weeks break first and I may even revert to doing the WP now that I seem to have got a better handle on rate restricted rowing (thanks to Sam) or possibly the PP for a while.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Draggon
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Draggon »

Paul Victory wrote:I'll be heading off to Portugal at the end of the week
I see you're traveling again... let me be the first to say - "Be Careful, Paul!!" :lol: