Fitness Matters Training Programme

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Fitness Matters Training Programme

Post by Paul Victory »

A number of Free Spirits took part in the 6 week trial programme run by Sam Blythe of Fitness Matters. Unfortunately, I had to drop out because of my knee injury, but the overall results achieved were spectacular.

Sam is now running a second programme, starting next week. He's charging for this one, but a lot of people who did the trial programme have signed up again, including me and some other Free Spirits. Whereas participants in the first programme were sworn to secrecy, Sam has indicated that he doesn't mind if we share the results of our workouts with our team mates, provided we don't give away the full details of how the program is structured (which is after all his intellectual capital).

I thought it might be a good idea to set up a thread here to discuss how we're getting on. I know this will to some extent duplicate the discussion taking place within the Fitness Matters Training Programme group on Facebook, but I thought it might be nice to share our progress (and setbacks) with team mates.

Who knows, it may encourage some of you to sign up for Sam's next programme. At the very least, it will allow others to evaluate whether it's working or not.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Caratacus
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Re: Fitness Matters Training Programme

Post by Caratacus »

A large factor in the plan is the motivation and encouragement you get from your fellow participants so a thread on this forum for those of us following the plan can only be of benefit. As to the part about not giving away the full details of the plan does that mean we shouldn't post screenshots? It would be a good idea to set the boundaries early so we know what we can and can't discuss. Anyway, looking forward to the next six weeks - improved my 2k from 6:48.0 to 6:41.2 and my 10k from 37:15 to 36:39 over the course of the last programme and also set a benchmark of 17:36.6 for 5k for the new plan. It will be interesting to see what kind of improvements we as Free Spirits can make collectively.
Felton H
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by plummy »

I've signed up for this plan and although I have a huge amount of respect for Sam I'm a natural born cynic as to whether his plan will do anything special for my times given the length of time I've been at this lark. I won't be particularly impressed if I just beat the 2k & 5k Time Trials I did last week as markers as my form isn't great at present and I think any "plan" would do that. That said, if this plan gets me below 7:10 for 2k and 19:00 minutes for 5k I may offer to marry him :wink:

What may skew this is I hurt my back last weekend and have just come back from an hour on the treatment table so I may not be able to commit as hard as the plan calls (not that I have any details as yet).
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Felton, this is what Sam said on his Facebook page.

Feel free to post some screenshots of the more standard format sessions on your club page if you are a member of an online team. I would however appreciate it if you refrained from sharing the specific pacing information I provide as part of this plan. You are after all paying for this service.

So I guess it depends on what kinds of session will be included in the new programme. But no harm posting details of the more standard rows and having a general discussion about how we're getting on.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Thanks Paul, I'll wait to see what sessions he offers and discuss generally

Plummy - I think you're right that the plan isn't going to be revolutionary and you could probably get similar results by following the Pete Plan or whatever. I wasn't sure whether it would be worthwhile paying for it when l could quite easily just redo the initial 6 week plan. What you do get is 50 or so people all doing the sessions at the same time and offering encouragement which may prove to spur us on.
Felton H
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

For what it's worth, I have submitted my 2k and 5k times. Reflecting my current lack of fitness, they are both about 5 seconds per 500m outside my SB pace.

Times are as follows:

2k; 7:11.6 @ 1:47.9
5k: 19:02.4 @ 1:54.2

Probably a fair enough reflection of where I am at present. I don't expect to be troubling the nonathlon leaderboard before the end of the season, but it would be nice to get a bit closer to my previous times.

Paul V
Kirstin
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Kirstin »

I'm back in for the second round. The first round really pushed me to my limits but I was thrilled with the end result. (Probably should have had my head examined for doing the full program and not the light) Due to improved times I should be working harder this time, but I think in some ways it will be easier now that I've regained some basic fitness.
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

I'm in for this round. The FM plan picks up right as my OTW club plan ended, literally, Sunday. So the comparison is interesting, the previous 8 weeks mostly taking place on the water. It will be nice to focus on the erg (still have to do both). I took Monday as a quick break and began today. The sheer volume of people posting is a bit daunting, not being much of an FB user, I have to dig around for things I need. But so far so good. The sessions are interesting and require a lot of focus. I think I will learn a lot along the way.

Cheers.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
plummy

Post by plummy »

The sheer volume of postings are actually rather off-putting. Talk about just being lost in the crowd!

As usual it all seems, or at least "feels" as if it revolves around "who's the fastest". I did my first session last night but wasn't really sure why I posted the screen shot (as we are supposed to do) - I'm not sure who if benefits when it's washed away by another couple of dozen within hours, many of whom are already ploughing on the session 2,3,4 etc
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

I use the fact that I have to post a screenshot as a motivation while I'm doing a session and find it helps with consistency. Also as there is no league table like the CTC I have no idea of anybody else's pace while rowing so am just competing against myself. The sessions will also repeat themselves with small variations over the six weeks so you can compare later sessions to these early ones to chart your progress.
Felton H
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

For me, it's about sticking as close as I can to the target - particularly the stroke rate. I think it's good discipline and posting the screenshot means there's no hiding place. I'm not particularly concerned about what other people are posting, but will keep an eye out for other Free Spirits.

I've only done one session so far - yesterday ran away on me.
Rodger
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

I don't know if you're allowed to answer these, but I have a couple of questions.

- What's the goal of Sam's programme? Is it focused on 2k performance?
- How many hard sessions are there in a week?
- Are there different variants of the programme to chose from, or does everyone get the exact same set of workouts?
- Are the workouts distance or time based?

Good luck to all of you!
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Paul, I agree, you end up automatically filtering out most of the posted results and look out for other Free Spirits and maybe others that are close to your level and also those that have interacted with you
Felton H
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Rodger wrote:I don't know if you're allowed to answer these, but I have a couple of questions.

- What's the goal of Sam's programme? Is it focused on 2k performance?
- How many hard sessions are there in a week?
- Are there different variants of the programme to chose from, or does everyone get the exact same set of workouts?
- Are the workouts distance or time based?

Good luck to all of you!
It's focussed on improving performance over all distances, but particularly 2k. It's based on 4 hard sessions a week, with a recommendation that any other rowing is at a fairly gentle pace. It's a fixed set of workouts at specified ratings (often using a rate ladder), with target pace based on your current form over 2k and 5k.

That's probably as much as I can reasonably say without 'giving away the store'.
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Very best wishes to you all ... =D> =D>
Not on FB, so is it possible join if not?
And how much does he charge?
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
plummy

Post by plummy »

Wolfmiester wrote:Very best wishes to you all ... =D> =D>
Not on FB, so is it possible join if not?
And how much does he charge?
Not sure you can join as Sam kind of insists on screenshots of each session. There is a spreadsheet to go with it for your own records. This is a template and once you plug your 2k/5k times (for this programme) in it gives you all the target paces automatically. I think Christine did the spreadsheet - damned good job she did too! =D>

It's £24.00, so that's £1.00 per session (6 weeks at 4 per week).
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

thanks.
VERY reasonable then!
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Wolfmiester wrote:thanks.
VERY reasonable then!
Certainly worth it IF it achieves the required results. Watch this space for further news! :fswink:
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

A week and a half in -- really enjoying the variety of workouts. The pace and rate targets are very specific, and having to concentrate on hitting them makes the sessions seem to go faster. My previous plan targets were heart rate based... and having only just begun tracking HR more closely, I didn't really know my ranges well. This one is not, and I prefer the use of time trial pacing.

Takeaways from the first week -- even if the weather's nice & chilly, don't start up a plan session wearing a tight long sleeve workout top. Halfway through 10k of intervals, I began to feel I was wrapped in plastic cling wrap. :oops: Much sweat involved! :D
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Kirstin
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Kirstin »

Definitely a lot of sweat involved. It's still quite cool here in the morning so I start my warmup with the garage closed, but after that I open the garage door about two feet and turn on the box fan and I'm still a soggy mess when I'm finished.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Today's session was a real indicator of how much fitness I've lost since December. It was 8 x 750m with 1 minute rest - same as the December CTC. The only differences were static starts and a suggested stroke rate of 28-30 (which is a bit low for me for sprints intervals - I did the December CTC at 33 to 34 SPM).

I averaged 1:46.6 pace in December and the guide for today's session was to start at current 5k pace -1 and try to negative split. As this means starting at 1:53 pace, I decided to aim to reduce my split by 1 second each interval, which would still be a lot slower than December's CTC. It went OK for the first 6 intervals, but then the wheels fell off. I almost HDed in the 7th interval, but couldn't bear the thought of having to do it again, so I kept going at a much slower pace. The final interval was more or less the same as the 7th apart from a final sprint.

Splits were as follows:

Distance Time Pace
750 2:49.2 1:52.80
1500 2:47.7 1:51.80
2250 2:46.2 1:50.80
3000 2:44.6 1:49.73
3750 2:43.0 1:48.67
4500 2:41.1 1:47.40
5250 2:44.7 1:49.80 :evil: #-o
6000 2:44.1 1:49.40 #-o

6000 22:00.5 1:50.04

So I was almost 3.5 seconds slower pace than December. Static starts probably cost a second or so for each interval after the first and the stroke rate restriction (which I breached twice) probably another second or two, but it's still a bit discouraging. The most disappointing thing is that my knee is still quite sore and I will probably have to seek medical intervention if it doesn't clear up soon. :evil:

Having said that, I think the programme is well thought out and hopefully will help me regain some of my lost fitness (sore knee permitting). [-o<

Paul V
zootMutant
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

Paul Victory wrote:
So I was almost 3.5 seconds slower pace than December. Static starts probably cost a second or so for each interval after the first and the stroke rate restriction (which I breached twice) probably another second or two, but it's still a bit discouraging.
You think the stroke rate restriction only slowed you down 1-2 seconds? :-k

The Wolverine Plan L4s are stroke rate prescribed. The idea is to keep the intensity per stoke the same, but vary the stroke rate to vary the overall intensity. With a 1:44 reference pace, the prescribed pace per stroke would be as follows:

16 = 2:10
18 = 2:06
20 = 2:01
22 = 1:57
24 = 1:53
26 = 1:48

I'm sure the increase at higher speeds is not linear, but still this suggests more than 1-2 seconds improvement when you increase the stroke rate 5 spm. What do you think?
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks Zoot. I agree with your general reasoning, but I think the difference is less at higher ratings. I averaged 33.5 spm in the CTC and 30.25 spm today, so the difference was only just over 3 spm and allowing for the higher ratings, I'd say 1 to 2 seconds in total, maybe 1 second per 500m is about right. But that's just gut feel and the fact that I had to hold back my stroke rate to stay within the target range probably didn't help.

But I'd definitely not 100% fit at present. Apart from residual soreness in my knee and loss of cardiovascular fitness, I'm also carrying around 3 to 4 kgs more than my "fighting" weight from last December.
zootMutant
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

Thanks for your feedback, Paul! :fsbgrin:

I suppose you could always try it again at the higher rate to see how much of a difference it really makes. O:)
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

zootMutant wrote: I suppose you could always try it again at the higher rate to see how much of a difference it really makes. O:)
Thanks, but no thanks! :wink: