Feedback wanted - video

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Kirstin
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Feedback wanted - video

Post by Kirstin »

https://vimeo.com/156202850

Any suggestions? I know my back is probably more rounded than most rowers. I've struggled with posture issues since my early teens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hewitt
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Re: Feedback wanted - video

Post by hewitt »

Looks very good to me.......but most peoples errors come out during the higher rate sprints.
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015

Post by Recess »

That's a lovely smooth looking stroke. I wish mine was as controlled as that!

Not that this may be the case with you - it's hard to tell - but one thing I picked up a while back was that I seemed to be going straight from legs to arms - and wasn't letting my backswing do a lot of the work for me. The transition from leaning forward to leaning backward can generate a lot of force, and when harnessed correctly, can improve split times.

When done incorrectly, the force curve looks like a mountain range!!! (which is my case mostly...)
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Very smooth. I agree with Jason that the worst errors come out when you up the rate and are pushing hard.

There's a slight over-compression at the catch (shins going past vertical) and John's thinking that your back is a little under-utilised may be correct too (but that may be because you are in smooth, cruising mode).

One of the most common "faults" (I do this too) is leaning back to early which takes the power of your back out of the stroke. I've snap-shotted you at mid stroke and notice that you are already leaning back and your legs are a LONG way from finishing their stroke:
ScreenHunter_34 Feb. 22 09.35.jpg
ScreenHunter_34 Feb. 22 09.35.jpg (26.88 KiB) Viewed 2374 times

Overall - pretty darned good though :D

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
gregsmith01748
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

I agree other commenters that your technique is pretty enviable.

I second Plummy's comment that working to delay the opening of your back a bit might allow you to get a bit of free speed. The other suggestion that I would make is to try to hold your knees down a bit longer at the beginning of your recovery so that your arm extension is complete and your torso has begun to swing toward the catch before coming up the slide.

If you want to work on either of these suggestions, you might want to try a "legs only" drill. Basically, you get yourself into a strong position at the catch (with just the right amount of compression :wink: ), and then drive with your legs, just like a normal stroke. But keep your arms extended and torso in the catch position so that the stroke ends with your legs extended. Repeat for maybe 10 to 20 strokes. Then add in the body swing, but keep your arms extended and do that for twenty strokes. Finally, do the whole stroke, but mentally focus on keeping the three parts of the drive (legs, then body, then arms) and the three parts of the recovery (arms, then body them legs) very distinct. Of course, in normal rowing it will be more fluid and connected than in this drill, but by being rigid in the drill, you can train yourself to make small changes in the overall timing.

It would be interesting to see how your technique changes if you increase the rate.

I offer this as someone who has significantly more severe technique issues that you do, but maybe the thoughts will help.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
Kirstin

Post by Kirstin »

Thank you all for the feedback. The over-compression at the catch was trained into me in college. May take a bit to change that. :) I'll try to get some video at a higher SR. That one was at a 24 - a training piece for Sam Blythe's program. Hard part will be lining up one of my practice sessions with a time that Jon is home. I usually work out immediately after he leaves for work.

Greg, I will definitely try the legs only drill.
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Agree with all the comments so far...

Very brave of you to post a video, Kirstin :!: 8) Overall very decent technique, and very smooth chain movement :!:p :D Personally I prefer more engagement of leg power right from the catch, I get the impression that your force curve is pretty "flat" - and like the low rate vs. higher rate comments I would guess that you rowed more powerful - and maybe more technically flawed - in your 1k race... :fssmile:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
Kirstin

Post by Kirstin »

Liefcat wrote:Agree with all the comments so far...

Very brave of you to post a video, Kirstin :!: 8) Overall very decent technique, and very smooth chain movement :!:p :D Personally I prefer more engagement of leg power right from the catch, I get the impression that your force curve is pretty "flat" - and like the low rate vs. higher rate comments I would guess that you rowed more powerful - and maybe more technically flawed - in your 1k race... :fssmile:
Not terribly brave - I did look at it before I posted it. :lol: Besides, I would rather have a critique here and make improvements than go on making mistakes at public events.

Yes, my force curve is very flat. Or at least it was when I looked at it six weeks or so ago. I know what it's supposed to look like, but had no idea what I needed to change to get it there. That bit of data wasn't available on the C2 model As and Bs back in the day.

Wish I had video of my 1K race. I am quite certain every flaw I have would have shown up. I think I'll bring a babysitter next time to make sure I stop working early enough to actually think about my own race. I'll have Jon get some video of me next week at a higher stroke rate and pace. Might as well uncover all of my flaws at once.
BorisZ
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by BorisZ »

Not sure about this: Should the drive be shorter and the recovery a bit longer, especially at a lower rate? A 2:1 recovery/drive appears to be the published best way. Anyone with advanced video editing software could measure and see how it's for Kirstin.
57yrs 182cm, 16.5MM+ so far...PB's @ DF 130
Recess

Post by Recess »

Hi,

Fortunately, that's something I can do. I took the video, and stepped through it frame by frame. And it's pretty much a 1:1 stroke/recovery in this example.

Below is one stroke slowed down to 1/5th of the speed. If you're going to count the frames, remember there are 25 frames a second - but I counted it as 1:08 drive, 1:08 recover. It may be 1:07 depending on when you decide each part starts and finishes, but either way, it's near as damn it 1:1.

https://vimeo.com/158838086
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
BorisZ
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by BorisZ »

Kudos for your skills and effort to figure out the timing from the video! (I have no idea whatsoever how one would do that.)
So I guess my hunch is correct. Getting the ratio changed might be something to strive for.
57yrs 182cm, 16.5MM+ so far...PB's @ DF 130