How wide apart are your hands?

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model D with PM5

How wide apart are your hands?

Post by Recess »

I'm trying to tweak every aspect of my stroke in the hunt for every last second (or half second) I can gain. Today, it occurred to me that maybe (certainly) I'm losing a lot of power because when going for 100m sprints, it seems I'm not locking out my arms for proper power transfer.

And then, today, doing fast intervals (1:30), I noticed that it was easier to lock the arms if I hold the handle with my hands a bit closer together. And this translated to splits down to 1:29 / 1:28 at the same SPM.

So, obviously, the answer for the time being is to close the gap a bit - but is there any rule? I used to be on the outskirts of the handle, now I'm about 5cm in on each side.

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: How wide apart are your hands?

Post by Paul Victory »

Interesting.

I usually start with my hands at the edge of the handle, but I often find my left hand creeping in towards the centre, particularly on very long rows. This is presumably due to some sort of imbalance or uneven stroke.

I will try placing my hands closer to the centre on sprints and see if it makes any difference.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
gregsmith01748
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

I almost always have my hands so that my pinky is right on the end of handle. I think it would be related to how narrow or broad your shoulders are. If your hands get in too close together, then it is tough to get a clean finish for the stroke. If they are too wide, I think that it would be tough to get as much power into the arms phase of the stroke.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
sander
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by sander »

I have the "old" wooden handle on my home erg and I grip it with about 1.5cm showing on the outside. I am with Greg: It depends on the broadness of your shoulder and will impact on how efficiently you pull the finish.

A side question: Are there more people like me who like the straight old handle more than the new one?

I am using this one:

I find it more comfortable than this one:

Training Blog: http://blog.rowsandall.com/
Free Data and Analysis. For Rowers. By Rowers: http://rowsandall.com
GuidonTheBee
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by GuidonTheBee »

I'd always assumed that it was related to an individuals biomechanics in a similar way to cycling handlebars width i.e. there was a biomechanically optimal width (in terms of joint stresses, avoiding injury, etc) but that it might be possible to work outside that with care.

For almost all training I just about have my pinky flapping off the edge of the handle but for TTs & races (especially sprints) I'll have a firmer grip with all fingers just on the handle.

If my grip is too narrow I sort of feel as if I'm compressing my chest a bit but I guess that should be less of an issue on sprints ?

(My home erg used to have a wooden handle but I got a blue one a few years ago. It took a while to grow a slightly different set of calluses but I wouldn't go back now)
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

I always have the hands as far out as possible. My feeling is that my breathing is bothered with hands/arms moved inwards.
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

BorisZ
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by BorisZ »

sander wrote:
A side question: Are there more people like me who like the straight old handle more than the new one?
I like the old one better as well. May be the lesser diameter is nicer for smaller hands? I use both though so that callus for both handles is maintained. For the little I do ... :oops:
57yrs 182cm, 16.5MM+ so far...PB's @ DF 130
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

From my point of view it depends on things like shoulder with and, arm length, strength & endurance capacities of engaged muscle groups, rowing technique, rowing speed & aimed distance/duration. :fsbgrin:

If you're interested in this topic, you'll find some possibly helpful informations by using "cable row muscles worked" (e.g. google image search).

On longer rows I generally vary the grip by feeling. Doing basic endurance stuff I tend to grip wider, on shorter (and harder/faster) sessions I tend to grip tighter.