55 spm as a biginner good?

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

AnonTrysRowing
Warming up

55 spm as a biginner good?

Post by AnonTrysRowing »

Ello, I havn't rowed before but today I was forced on the rowing machine. I rowed for 2:00 and I got 55 spm. My friend who rows, said that it was amazing but what do you think? Is it good and how good?
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: 55 spm as a biginner good?

Post by plummy »

It depends on what you mean by "good". If it was a competition to win a highest stroke rate then 55spm then would certainly be at the top end but if you are looking for answers re whether it was good "rowing" I doubt it means much at all and to be honest as a beginner I would say it's very bad form. (I've seen 90spm before now by the way!)

Rowing is not about thrashing up and down the rail at the highest possible spm, it's about the application of correct technique and power as well as the SPM suitable for the event/training session you are involved in. For example,if you are taking part in a 2 minute flat out race, then 55 spm "might" be useful as it's sustainable for about that long - but if your "pace" is 2:00/500m then you aren't going to win many prizes overall.

If you are rowing a 10km piece then I doubt you'll get past the first few minutes before wondering where all the oxygen went in the room and you are lying on the floor.

Plummy
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
hewitt
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by hewitt »

AnonTrysRowing wrote: My friend who rows, said that it was amazing but what do you think?
Your friend who rows and forced you on to the rowing machine should know a lot better than telling you that 55spm is good.

What pace were you rowing at for the 2min? What df were you on? How tall are you? How old are you? Are you male or female?

Just a few common questions.
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
AnonTrysRowing
Warming up

Post by AnonTrysRowing »

hewitt wrote:
AnonTrysRowing wrote: My friend who rows, said that it was amazing but what do you think?
Your friend who rows and forced you on to the rowing machine should know a lot better than telling you that 55spm is good.

What pace were you rowing at for the 2min? What df were you on? How tall are you? How old are you? Are you male or female?

Just a few common questions.
Male 15, 166cm 65kg
I don't know what I was on... I just rowed on a 'normal' looking machine. I am complete noob btw
danfennell
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by danfennell »

Strokes per minute (SPM) is somewhat analogous to the concept of gears in a transmission or on a bike.

Different paces, distances and training goals will dictate the appropriate rate. I use everything from 18spm on power/endurance building rows to 49spm on an all out minute.

Learning and working on good form at lower rates and then transferring that power to higher rates is the way to go - IMO.
Dan | Age:48 | Ht: 186cm | Wt: 93kg