Crash-B 2016

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Crash-B 2016

Post by Recess »

Crikey, I'd no idea they'd already released the date for this! Feb 28th 2016.

Now, the question is - to go or not. I thought last year was a once in a lifetime thing, but I know it'll kill me not to be there (although it almost killed me BEING there last time!)

Decisions...

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Re: Crash-B 2016

Post by dr3do »

Well… whatever decision you take, it almost will kill you. :mrgreen: As I got the impression (from your report from last time) that you really enjoyed it, I would vote for: go for it. :lol:
gregsmith01748
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Wow! I didn't know that they had set the date. I'll have to start planning for that.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
Recess

Post by Recess »

So, I need to make a decision about whether or not to go next year or not. Turns out I can just about afford it - mainly because I can visit some work folks and class it as a business trip.

But, the question is - should I? Last time was a great experience, and though I was OK with coming 4th as it was the first time I'd done it, if I were to go back, it would be with a mind to at least come back with something. Of course, that's assuming the same people and the same times.

So, as being there's exactly 6 months to go before the Crash-B 2016 event, if I threw myself into the training, would I be able to get my 2K down to 6:28? (PB is 6:38 - and apart from the sting in the tail CTC, I've not done one since Manchester). But let's assume right now, I'd do a 6:50 - if I just got back to standard fitness again, I'd be able to do 6:40ish.

Is six months enough to get back to 6:40 and a whole 12 seconds more?

Thoughts would be appreciated. Though this could be the motivation I need to start pushing myself hard again.

John

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

For a 2k at 6:50 you need ≥325W, for a 2k at 6:40 you need ≥350W and for a 6:28 you'll need ≥385W. With your level of fitness you (have|had) and some good structured training 6:40 (thats +25W, +7.7%) should be achievable quite "easy".

To improve to 6:28 (thats +60W, +18.5%) in six month will be very very very hard to achieve… with 100% of focus and dedication on training methodology, sleep, recovery time and ability, training, healthy life style, food and erg technique I think +10-15% (~6:35) is more realistic.

just my 2 cents, ^O^
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

John, I'm with Boris , why not plan for 2017 when you will have a better chance :)

You are definitely capable of a World medal why not maximise your chances :D
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Recess

Post by Recess »

Hmmmm. I get a sad feeling in my gut when I listen to this advice, but it's probably because you're right. Maybe this year I should concentrate on getting over my myriad injuries, and just do Scotland and maybe the British - and then aim for full peak in 2017.

I'll keep thinking...

I'll miss Boston though...

Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

.. or you just try to better your result of this year, and have a good time. Then who knows? The competition may be weaker next year.
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg