Fingers ache

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

InlineJinn
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Fingers ache

Post by InlineJinn »

Hi Free Spirits,

My fingers have begun to ache. I notice this after rowing, and in the mornings. I suspect this started after the FM this month, and is perhaps a result of trying to keep an average of 10k meters/day. I don't have tingling or numbness, just a mild ache. I'm wondering, is this a sign of over-training, or is it something that goes away after awhile? Are there any remedies? Would it help to cut back on the meters, and maybe do more interval work?

Thanks,
John B.
63, 5'8" lwt, C2 D PM5, started 1/2015, certified mileage nut but then I found hot yoga but then I hurt my shoulders but then I had surgery and now I can still row and do hot yoga yay!
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Re: Fingers ache

Post by dr3do »

InlineJinn wrote:My fingers have begun to ache. I notice this after rowing, and in the mornings.
Bad to read/hear that you have issues. :cry:

How firmly do you hold the handle? Do you relax your grip during recovery? Do have the possibility to make a small/short video (side view) of your erging? :-k
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

I get an occasional tingle in my fingers John, but nothing I would describe as an ache. What type of ache is it? Are the joints sore? Do you have trouble bending your fingers? Is it only after rowing that you have this problem or are they sore WHILE you are rowing?

It may be that you are gripping the handle too hard.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
InlineJinn

Post by InlineJinn »

Hi guys. I don't think I grip the handle too hard--in fact, my thumb is hardly touching the handle at all. I'll try consciously relaxing my hands on recovery. In case it matters, the damper is about 115.
What type of ache is it? Are the joints sore? Do you have trouble bending your fingers?
No trouble bending my fingers, and it doesn't seem concentrated in the joints. They just feel a little stiff and sore.

John B.
63, 5'8" lwt, C2 D PM5, started 1/2015, certified mileage nut but then I found hot yoga but then I hurt my shoulders but then I had surgery and now I can still row and do hot yoga yay!