cycling cros training

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

johnk1
Warming up

cycling cros training

Post by johnk1 »

I use cycling as cross training for rowing but have no idea of what intensity I need to train at, should it be flat out all the time or more aerobic type ride. I have been going flat for 33K on a hybrid bike on the road which takes about 1 hour and 18 mins on average but feel this is overdoing it as my longest race is about 20 minutes. I'm at the wrong end of 60 - 70 age range. Anyone any ideas?
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: cycling cros training

Post by Paul Victory »

Hi John

Welcome to Free Spirits.

I don't know much about cycling, but I have a couple of observations about training in general. First, there's nothing wrong with training over a longer distance than the distance you will be racing over. This helps to build stamina and endurance. Second, it's probably not a good idea to train flat out all of the time. You need to intersperse hard and easy sessions and some rest days in order to give your body time to recover.

I'm towards the lower end of the 60 - 70 age range and I occasionally train flat out for more than an hour, but probably no more than once a month, if even that. I also do full on TTs over shorter distances and some interval training. You're a few years older than me, so it sounds like you might be overdoing it. How often would you do these 33 km cycles?

And what sort of rowing are you doing? Do you row some days and cycle on others, or would you ever combine the two in one day? Without seeing your overall training regime, it's hard to give proper advice.

One thing I would say is listen to your body. If you find you are becoming very fatigued, that is probably a sign you are overdoing it. I've done seven days in a row on the erg and although I feel I could do another session today, I'm going to take today off as I know it's better for me in the long run to take breaks before I reach that point.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
johnk1
Warming up

Re: cycling cros training

Post by johnk1 »

Paul
Thanks for the reply.
I row 4 times a week and twice on the bike. Rowing I do 14K with 3 x 1K sprints 3 times a week and once 3 x 850 metre sprints with a 4 minute rest in between and 10 minute warm up and down. The rowing is on the water. I never do both on the same on one day so this means 1 rest day per week. I listened to my body this morning and my legs still ached from yesterdays row but sometimes I find my body can kid me and when I get into my ride or row I'm OK even though I didn't feel right at the start.
Sounds like you're saying aerobic on the bike with 1 flat out per month which sounds like a good idea. I don't seem to get really fatigued just the normal tiredness after exercise.

I'd welcome any further comments or advice
John