Crash-B this weekend!

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Crash-B this weekend!

Post by Recess »

Rather than hijacking an older thread, I thought I'd start one here to use as my (and anyone else's) diary of the Crash B's this weekend. I'll post as many pictures as I can on Sunday - though I'll have to wait until I get decent wifi, as the roaming costs on EE are nasty!

The list of competitors has been released, here's who I'm up against:

Im Sinclair 11:15:00 10 33 Greenwich Crew Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
Georgiades Dimos 11:15:00 10 34 Team GB Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
Dunne Alex 11:15:00 10 35 Team GB Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
Crosby Josh 11:15:00 10 36 Indo-Row Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
Hutter Jaime 11:15:00 10 37 Q-Power Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
Demetriou Edward 11:15:00 10 38 Union Boat Club Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
Clesse Jean Sebastien 11:15:00 10 39 ESCC-ASAEC Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
Mitchell Mark 11:15:00 10 40 Bexhill Rowing Club / Mad Team IRC Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
Gonzalez Alvarez Jesus 11:15:00 10 41 Unaffiliated Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
Doyle John 11:15:00 10 42 Paddy Power IRC Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
Steventon John 11:15:00 10 43 Free Spirits Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
Cook Gregory 11:15:00 10 44 Team Oarsome Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
Timmons Paul 11:15:00 10 45 The Firm Fitness Center Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
Meehan Mike 11:15:00 10 46 Unaffiliated Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
Maniscalco Fabrizio 11:15:00 10 47 Italian Team Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
O'Neill T. Patrick 11:15:00 10 48 Unaffiliated Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
Scarpa Rudy 11:15:00 10 49 Unaffiliated Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
Weiner Stephen 11:15:00 10 50 Unaffiliated Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
Kessler Scott 11:15:00 10 51 Unaffiliated Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
Arakawa Masahiro 11:15:00 10 52 Massachusetts Institute of Technology Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
Price Ed 11:15:00 10 53 Unaffiliated Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L
Markson David 11:15:00 10 54 Unaffiliated Lightweight Senior Master Men (Age 40-49) L

So at least I can relax and know I'm just taking part and have no delusions of adequacy when it comes to getting a medal!

Worryingly though, my right hand side is at a pain level of 8 at the moment. I think it is muscular rather than rib bone issues, but I'm going to have to end my week's taper today in a full-stop - and hope the muscle recovers well enough come Sunday.

There's a gym in my hotel, so I may have a peek to see if they have an erg, and have a test on Saturday, but I think hopes of a 6:36 are going to be dependent on a) On how my side is, b) Whether I lose any fitness between now and Sunday (which I hope isn't likely) and worryingly, c) as I'm hovering at 74.5kg right now - will a lack of training put me over the 75Kg limit?!?!? :? Obviously i'm going to watch what I eat so that doesn't happen - but wouldn't it be awful to go all the way to Boston only to find out I can't compete because I don't make the weight!!

A bit frustrating, but it wouldn't be a competition without a crisis!!

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: Crash-B this weekend!

Post by Rodger »

Have a good weekend, John! I'm looking forward to pictures and reports.

Here is an ignorant question: if you don't make weight, can you still compete in the open category?
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Recess

Post by Recess »

Thankd Rodger.

Yeah, it seems I'd still race in the Lightweight event, but my time would go against the Open event:

"Athletes who fail to weigh in for any reason will still row on their assigned erg at their originally assigned time. Their results will be recorded in the open category for their event."

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Peter_S
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by Peter_S »

John,

Good luck at CRASH-Bs this weekend! =D> Hopefully, your side will be completely recovered. [-o<

Sorry we will not be there to cheer you on in person. We will try to follow on-line.

In previous years, the Hotel Marlowe where we stayed had a fair number of ergs set up on the second floor. This year they should be somewhere if the Marlowe is not an official hotel; check when you register. Just remember not to "test" too hard.

Peter & Ann :fsbgrin:
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

John, good luck for your race! I think Mark Mitchell is the guy to watch.

Wait a minute, YOU are the guy he should be watching! :D

Peter_S is right, they used to have some ergs at the Marlow Hotel (I was there in 2010), on second floor and on top floor in the hotel gym.
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by Wolfmiester »

Have a great trip John, hopefully you can get to enjoy each part of it.

Why are some of the UK guys "team GB" and some not?
previously anyone from the UK was listed as team GB I think.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Recess

Post by Recess »

I'm unsure what's happened there. I was looking forward to being part of the bigger team. (As well as FS).

Of course, I haven't done anything to contact them about it (although, who would 'them' be anyway?

I was in touch with Scottish Rowing, who said that I would be Team Scotland anyway... They did mention some kind of lunch for the foreigners, but again, nothing has been passed on to me (possibly again because I'm not asking the right people).

It doesn't matter much though. As long as I'm not still injured for the race - and I survive the -19 cold, it'll be a blast!!

John

strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Good luck John wear the Free Spirits Vest with pride.

I think you can do well against these guys, remember to row like the guy with the beard :wink:

The days rest will only do you good and you will be stronger for it.

My best result in terms of time was at my first BIRC and I had 4 days off before it, didn't do me any harm :D

Go get 'em John :fsgrin:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Unless it's changed there is a luncheon for all international visitors held at The Royal Sonesta (just across from the Marlowe Hotel) on the Saturday. It's also the place that registration takes place. There's welcome speeches and introductions to some of the teams - altogether super stuff (and good food!!)
The two times I went I was kind of seconded to Team GB but felt a bit weird because as far as I was concerned I was Free Spirits and nothing else. That said there was a team "manager/captain" who organised a couple of meals for groups. Maybe it's a bit more disjointed this year and no one has taken on the role?
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

John, I hope you're fully recovered by Sunday. Whatever happens, enjoy the experience and just do the best you can on the day. And don't forget to strap in! :lol:

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Good luck John. I always think of you as the ' Flying Scotsman ' Mark 2 :fsbgrin:
Jill :)
kirbyt
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by kirbyt »

Have fun, John. That is a very large and fast field all right but you're definitely not slow yourself, just try to stick to your pacing plan and your placement in the race will take care of itself.
54 years old probably around 77kg.
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Best of luck, John! Agree with Alan the extra rest will be good. Enjoy the experience! :fsgrin:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Good luck John. The pain in your side sounds like something I have suffered a few times and turned out to be a stiff fascia joint that my physio sorted in a couple of (painful) visits. The good news is that the pain subsided once warmed up. I suggest that you warkm up even longer than usual adding 5' UT2/3 before your normal w/up. As there is always a gap at competitions shouldn't impair your race at all. As for weight, scales are essential, but remember that we always lose weight overnight. You can drop a pound with a normal warm up, so even if your weight does drift up a bit you'll be fine. Some rowers only ever make make wight for the weigh in and are looking forward to a sauna on race day, so you needn't worry.

Very best of luck.

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Recess

Post by Recess »

Thanks everybody, and thanks for the tip Iain. As I'll have been off the erg a few days, I intended to do longer warmup anyway, but the UT5 advice I hadn't really consider, so thanks.

At Heathrow waiting for gate to open for the flight... It's gonna be a long day...

John

Recess

Post by Recess »

Arrived safe and sound in Boston. Long day though!!! Happily, I'm now in the comfiest bed ever made.

Loews hotel is amazing.

John

dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

Good luck, John!
Recess

Post by Recess »

It seems a breakfast sandwich here is a lot more than I thought it would be #heavyweight!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plummy

Post by plummy »

Probably cost a lot more too by the time you've tipped everyone
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

You'll be fine for the weigh in as long as you have nothing else to eat all day!
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Iain

Post by Iain »

Staying Lwt in US deserves a medal on its own!
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
gregsmith01748
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Best of luck tomorrow, John!
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
stumpy
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

Have a great row tomorrow matey. Enjoy :fsgrin:
Recess

Post by Recess »

Thanks folks. The good news is that he hotel got me access to a great gym nearby (Equinox) and I had a tentative session on one of their C2s. Don't know if I'll be able to hold 1:39 - but fingers cross will at least be able to keep it under 6:45.

Gonna have to keep it at 130df though. I've never done a full 2k that low, so let's hope I dknt blow up!!

John

mardix

Post by mardix »

Recess wrote:Thanks folks. The good news is that he hotel got me access to a great gym nearby (Equinox) and I had a tentative session on one of their C2s. Don't know if I'll be able to hold 1:39 - but fingers cross will at least be able to keep it under 6:45.

Gonna have to keep it at 130df though. I've never done a full 2k that low, so let's hope I dknt blow up!!

John
All the luck in the world. Row strong!
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.