Crash-B this weekend!

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Crash-B this weekend!

Post by Recess »

CamiCrew wrote: was it clear where you were vs the field, hard to tell, or did it not really matter at that point?
Hiya,

Actually, no - it was just the normal set up, enough info on the PM5 if I looked at it - but I chose not to. Why? Because I had to just race against me. I could only do what my body would let me do, and if I'd have spotted how close No.5 was to me, I'd either have over-egged the pudding, and blown up, or found it too much of a struggle to stay ahead (mentally) and maybe dropped off. So I just went for a pace I could just hold on to for the first 1500, then kept my rate around the same but just pulled a lot harder for the last 500m.

I finally got round to checking out the telemetry on the C2 website, and it looks like it was around 600m to go I increased it. But hitting the replay button and watching how close it was, especially towards the end - I think I made the right decision about not looking at my standing!

Someone in the crowd took a great angle of the entire race, which is quite interesting to watch, (I've already posted it in the alalysis thread, but as this is kinda like my diary of the event, I thought I'd add it here too).

It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
kirbyt
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by kirbyt »

Maybe I have a bit too much time on my hands, I'm still not back to full duties at work...I looked at this vid again, wondering what the stroke rate was for the top competitors. I looked at a one minute portion of the video from 4:00-5:00, so late in the race, but before everyone started the desperate flailing around that inevitably takes place...Assuming my counting skills are accurate: J. Steventon,32, J Doyle, 34, J Gonzalez 36, M Mitchell, 34. So it's simple, John, next time you race...just increase your stroke rate by 2-4 and you win :D
54 years old probably around 77kg.
Recess

Post by Recess »

Haha, I'll try that! Although it looks like my splits went 34.32.32.34 - so I'll just add 2 to each one from now on...

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by Wolfmiester »

sorry John for the late note, I've been away ... congratulations on a great race and fantastic weekend.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k