BRIC 2015

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: BRIC 2015

Post by Recess »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Recess

Post by Recess »

I may have got this wrong, but I think Paul just won Silver. I'm sure he'll confirm/deny!!

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Recess wrote:I may have got this wrong, but I think Paul just won Silver. I'm sure he'll confirm/deny!!

I'm afraid not! Total train wreck! I wasn't strapped in when attention came up, panicked. Tokyo about ten seconds to strap in and was already over 50 meters behind Richard Steventon and in last place when my position came up. To make matters worse, I started pulling 1:33s until I realised what I was doing. I was totally blown by 500m, which I reached in 1:55.x and struggled to pull 1:46s and 1:47s after that. I kept plugging away to finish 5th in 7:13.6 - over 20 seconds behind my IIRC time.

The most frustrating was that third was 7:08x and second was also over 7 minutes (I think). Really annoyed with myself and feeling very frustrated. I told you I'm not a morning person!
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

Uuuhh… shit hit the fan, fukc. :shock: But you fought. You didn't gave up. You finished. And we still love you. You're still in great great shape and you brought up some really impressive training sessions over the last months. So… it was just one bad day.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Just arrived back in my sister in law's after my debacle at BIRC. Going to chill out for the afternoon after I stop banging my head off the nearest brick wall. I've just seen that second place was 7:05.1 which makes me even more annoyed with myself for making a total mess of things. :cry: :evil: #-o

Anyway, on the plus side, I got to meet recess, who set a PB in finishing 6th in his race. Well done John and great to meet up with you. I'll think about your suggestion that I enter EIRC. :roll:
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Recess

Post by Recess »

https://vimeo.com/119048116

Here's the last stretch of Paul's race. Apologies for shaky cam and the odd yell!! Paul, if you'd rather this wasn't in here, let me know and I'll delete.

Great to meet a fellow Free Spirit though! Sorry if I was a bit distracted, still a bit frustrated by my miscalculation.

My race report is simple: the aim was to pull 1:39 - which, most of the time is what I saw. I have a tendency not to keep an eagle eye on the monitor though, so every now and then I'd see 1:40/1:41 and have to up it a bit. So my 6:36 didn't appear in the end...

Looking at the monitor though, there were two guys ahead of me, and I could tell that I was never going to catch them. So, the monitor showed me as 3. "I'm happy with that" I thought. So kept on going. And carried on not looking at the monitor too often, just glancing to check I hadn't been over-taken, and a quick check every 10 strokes or so that I've not slipped pace.

After 1000 I was starting to feel it as effort - and it's always a tough moment when you realise you have to do all that again!! The next 500 went quite quickly to be honest. I wish the last 500 were as quick though!! Quite painful getting to the end. I think I held up the pace, but I'm sure I was pulling some painful faces! I wonder what photos will come out of this?!!?

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if they post split data, just so I know how I did through all 4 splits.

Back to the race:

Finishing, it still showed me as 3rd on the PM5. "Woo-hoo" thinks I - I figured I'd clung on enough for a bronze with 6:38.5 (previous PB was 6:40.7). Then I spoke to a chap who also claimed he was 3rd.

Uh-oh...

Turns out they'd split the machines into two groups. So I was 3rd in mine, but 6th overall.

Bah!

Not that it matters. I could probably (maybe) have squeezed another second or two had it shown me in 6th on the monitor (i wouldn't have let my eye wander if I'd have known I wasn't in third) but maybe all I was capable of was 6:38.5 today anyway.

It may have been useful to have a monitor in front of us to show the actual race, does any race do that? Scottish didn't either.

So, a flustered end, but happy that I pb'd and put my self out there. Now to go celebrate my birthday (2 weeks in advance) with my big sister. Jack Daniels and Diet coke, I've missed you!!!!

Boston next!!!!!

John

Recess

Post by Recess »

Oh, and sorry for the mid-information about Paul's result!!! Funny how you had Richard Steventon in your group. I wonder if I'm related in a very very distant way?

John

Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Thanx for the reports, Paul and John :!: Good for you that you could support each other after missing the much desired podium... Not so often you see monitors in front of the ergers - I tried it once in my first Danish IRC in 2008 - but couldn´t focus on that having enough to do in my "own" race...

Yeah, sorry about your messy start, Paul :!: :( But then again - you top contenters must be on top on everything... :fswink: :fswink: Fantastic effort that you finished your race ^O^ ^O^ - though I must admit that it radiates from you just how demotivated you look on John´s video... :wink: (no offense... :wink: :wink: )

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Thats a real bummer Paul, you definitely would have got the Silver mate no question. Use it as motivation for the next time. :D

John, well done strong result and great write up :D =D>
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by Wolfmiester »

Great PB John, very well done =D> =D>

Paul, commiserations :(
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
plummy

Post by plummy »

Great write up John - and thanks for the video of Paul's race.

Considering how quick you are already, to PB at BRIC by a couple of seconds is pretty epic ^O^ ^O^

The machines seem to be miles apart - none of that cozying up to each other I've seen at other races :D (but I suppose that gives you more room to collapse on the floor if you feel the need after)

Paul - from someone who's technique leaves a lot to be desired (er, that'll be me) - although you are a multi-Irish record holder, I see a couple of areas where you might be able to improve yours a tad (do you ever have problems with your elbows??)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

plummy wrote:Paul - from someone who's technique leaves a lot to be desired (er, that'll be me) - although you are a multi-Irish record holder, I see a couple of areas where you might be able to improve yours a tad (do you ever have problems with your elbows??)
I was thinking that myself as I looked at the video plummy. Two things in particular stood out for me - my stroke seems very jerky and my arms never straighten fully. I think my knees might be moving in and out a bit too.

To answer your question, yes, I do have problems with my elbows. My last injury related absence was while my physio was trying to treat the really painful golf elbow that I developed in my right elbow. He eventually allowed me to get back rowing when the extended absence from erging made no difference to the pain. I'm still doing exercises he gave me for my right elbow using a dynaband.

Any advice you can give me on technique would be very welcome.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

In hindsight, I wonder what would have happened if I had just picked up the handle and rowed strapless. I think it might have been even worse, but who knows.

I was talking to someone afterwards who came up with the perfect solution to dealing with the situation I found myself in - start pulling straight away and cause a false start. I just wish I'd had the presence of mind to think of this at the time. #-o Who knows, it might come in useful for someone reading this if they ever find themselves in the same situation. Helpfully, I won't ever have to use it. :roll: #-o

Paul V
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Yes, you are right, Paul, about the false start, I actually have it in my repertoire - both in your situation and when I don´t feel ready (if for instance I haven´t adjusted the DF yet), but haven´t used it yet... You can also train some strapless rowing - and on top of that you can train going in and out of straps while rowing (I used this at the end of my 100k)... :idea: :fssmile:

About the technique - I know you also had problems with one shoulder, Paul - I can´t remember which one... On the video - if it´s level (it looks that way) - it seems to me that your right shoulder is a little over your left at the catch - if so important to relax your shoulders... :idea: :fswink:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
plummy

Post by plummy »

I spotted that too (but didn't want to look like I was being over-critical). You seem to "hitch" over to the left (your left) and raise your right shoulder on the drive and drop it again on the recovery part. That may be subliminal owing to the injury you had.

The good thing is - if there are a few niggly points on the stroke, they only mean you can go faster :D
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Recess

Post by Recess »

Paul, do you fancy uploading the video of me? I feel I should offset the critique you're getting by allowing folks to comment on my stroke too. Again, I hope you don't mind me posting it on here. I Was a bit unsure about the logistics of posting your video, but the Tapatalk app takes care of compressing, transfer to Vimeo then sorting the link too. Well worth a look if you haven't already.

John

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Hi John

I tried uploading it and it seemed to be working, but then I got a message saying that files with the extension mov are not permitted. Did you find a workaround for this?

Paul V
Recess

Post by Recess »

No problems with my upload I'm afraid. Just sent it straight from my iPhone usubg the Tapatalk app. If you can't get it to work, wetransfer it to me, and I'll sort it my end.

John

Recess

Post by Recess »

Sorry should have said - if you're going to go down the WeTransfer route, send to johnedit AT aol DOT com

John

Recess

Post by Recess »

Event photos can be found through the link below. I don't quite know what's going on with my mouth. I think I was trying to smile!

http://www.everybodysmile.biz/event-pho ... 34_0015_es

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Recess wrote:No problems with my upload I'm afraid. Just sent it straight from my iPhone usubg the Tapatalk app. If you can't get it to work, wetransfer it to me, and I'll sort it my end.

John

I tried again to upload the file, but the whole thing froze on me and I had to turn off my iPhone to unfreeze it. How do I do a WeTransfer?

Paul V
Recess

Post by Recess »

That's a pity. Go to www.wetransfer.com click on "I agree". Then add file, navigate to where the video is, enter my email address in the to box, and yours in the from box (for the confirmation email) then send.

Simple. You can send up to 2gb for free with it. Very handy!!!

John

dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

Recess wrote:Event photos can be found through the link below. I don't quite know what's going on with my mouth. I think I was trying to smile!
:lol: :shock: :mrgreen: :fsbgrin:
Recess wrote:My race report is simple: …
Great write up, John. Thanks. Congrats on you PB! ^O^ 8) ^O^
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Recess wrote:That's a pity. Go to http://www.wetransfer.com click on "I agree". Then add file, navigate to where the video is, enter my email address in the to box, and yours in the from box (for the confirmation email) then send.

Simple. You can send up to 2gb for free with it. Very handy!!!

John
Hi John

I'm just sending that now. It seems to be quite slow - it's telling me about 20 minutes remaining. Please let me know when you get it.

Cheers
Paul
Recess

Post by Recess »

Great, came through just fine, thanks very much for sending it Paul. Any comments at all from anyone, would be very much appreciated. The beardy guy on the right of screen came first at 6:21.xx - and definitely looks a lot different to me style wise. It looks like he really loads up the power - whereas I don't look nearly as powerful. The guy to the left of screen came second.

John