Advice Please :)

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

jgray1970
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Advice Please :)

Post by jgray1970 »

My goal is to be a weight of 80k again :) I started at 90kg and have lost 3.5kg so far and currently weigh 86.5kg.

I have cleaned up my eating so have no issues there.

Mon/Weds/Fri -

Am - I row for 60 mins to build up physical and mental endurance and for fat loss.
Pm - 1 mile run then I use the rower for my sprints either 30/30 or 20/10`s for about 20 mins.

Tues/Thurs/Sun -

Am - 5 or 10k fast. I say fast not literaly as my 5k is 20.20.9 & 10k 42.0 :)
Pm - 1 mile run then Heavy weights 12/10/8 reps.

Sat - Day off.

My questions are this -

1. Should I be doing the sprints every day instead of the longer rows? I do love the sprinting :)
2. They say weight lifting is far beter for weight loss due to the amount of calories burnt after you stop lifting so is the rower really for just cardio?
3. Should I be running after the session or before? I use the run as a warm up.

Any advice apprechiated.
Be Happy :)
gregsmith01748
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015

Re: Advice Please :)

Post by gregsmith01748 »

jgray1970 wrote: 1. Should I be doing the sprints every day instead of the longer rows? I do love the sprinting :)
You might not want to hear this, but I think you should not do sprints every day. You want to do the sprints hard enough so that you need some recovery. One thing you should probably do is some longer sprints, like 500m to 1000m.
2. They say weight lifting is far beter for weight loss due to the amount of calories burnt after you stop lifting so is the rower really for just cardio?
I know that this is a common perception, but I have seen no hard evidence for it. I have seen reasonable evidence that a balance of resistance training and aerobic training yields better results than either by itself.
http://jap.physiology.org/content/113/12/1831
3. Should I be running after the session or before? I use the run as a warm up.
cardio first, then weights...
The important thing that I have read is that you should ensure you have adequate recovery time after doing weight training before doing aerobic training (like at least 6 hours). What I read is that doing aerobic exercise in that period can mess up the process of building and repairing the muscles you just used. This is not a universal conclusion, but the only credible research I found backed it up, here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15903371
Any advice apprechiated.[/quote]
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
jgray1970
Warming up

Post by jgray1970 »

Thanks for your great reply :)

I will now stagger my sprint days to allow for recovery and up the sprint meters.

I will also separate my weight and cardio training as I have been trying to cram everything in to one session due to lack of time.

Thanks again for the info.
Be Happy :)
kirbyt
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by kirbyt »

Greg already answered quite comprehensively but...
I don't see how this could be remotely true. Have you ever seen an elite running race of any distance over 800m? Those men and women don't carry any extra weight. They look like they're starving and they do a lot of cardio and little or no weightlifting. Weightlifters on the other hand (in the super heavyweight category anyway) sometimes seem to carry some extra fat on their bodies. There was a study a while back that found that EPOC (Elevated post-exercise oxygen consumption) stayed higher for 38 hours after an HIIT (high intensity interval training) session but the actual resultant caloric consumption increase has since been found to be grossly exagerrated. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/ ... fin-581439
If you want to lose the weight there are no short cuts, burn more calories than you consume. :twisted:
54 years old probably around 77kg.