Hello Everyone :)

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

jgray1970
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Hello Everyone :)

Post by jgray1970 »

I recently brought a rower last October after quitting smoking and since then I have rowed 600k :)

I started to row for fitness & fat loss due to being 90kg which is 10kg to heavy for myself and I felt it as well, jeans to tight, etc.

Coupled with a proper education on what to eat and when I have recently weighed in at 86.5kg :) so i`m well happy knowing that in a couple more months I will be at my ideal weight of 80kg.

I run 5 miles a week and row twice a day.

I'm going to add some weights soon just did not want to do it all in one go and thought getting a good level of fitness would be the best way to start.

Its been hard work sitting on the rower wanting to cry through the hurt it brings but the rewards are now evident and that spurs me on to row longer and pull harder.

I also love the 30/30 sprints.

Anyway I hope to put up some times soon and would like to know how members have them boxes with their rowing times on here?

Cheers and happy rowing :)
Be Happy :)
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Hello Everyone :)

Post by plummy »

Hi jgray - welcome to Free Spirits and the forum. There's many of us wanted to cry at the pain the metal mistress dishes out - don't think you are alone there.

Re the PB signature box, if you look along the top of the page you will see some drop down tabs and under "Utilities" you can see one called "PB Image Generator (v2)" - this is where you signature is created. It's fairly straight forward (although sometimes you need to remember refresh your browser page to see the new information appear) - but if you get stuck - come back with any questions.

No one bites here so you are welcome to ask any questions about any erg/training related issues

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
dr3do
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by dr3do »

Hi jgray

Very nice and introduction and impressive progress you already did. =D> Im a "newbie" too, but I have to acknowledge to this post. It's a veeery friendly and helpful group here. Love it. Please be/feel welcome.

Cheers,
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

hi there, welcome to Free Spirits.
Well done on the progress so far, and long may it continue :fsbgrin:
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

600k since October? Not too shabby.
Welcome to Free Spirits!
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
jgray1970
Warming up

Post by jgray1970 »

Thanks for the warm welcomes :) its appreciated.

One thing i`d like to query is this -

When I row 5k on number 4 it takes twice the rows to reach a 1.52 / 500.

Yet when I row it on number 8 it takes one pull to reach 1.52 / 500.

I think I understand that on number 4 its more cardio and number 8 is more strength.

Is that correct and should I try say a number 6 to get a cardio & strength workout combined?

Thanks.
Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015

Post by Recess »

First off hi jgray, welcome to Free Spirits, you should love it here.

As to your question, effectively, yes. The higher you set the lever, the tougher it is to pull, but you'll go further per stroke than when you set it lower. So you may rightly find you'll have to raise your stroke rate the lower you go if you have a time per 500 in mind.

One thing to explain though is why this happens. Rather than being a vague resistance setting, the lever is a calibrated "drag factor" to the fly wheel. The lighter it is the 'smaller your boat' would be if on water. Big number, big boat! But a small boat would lose inertia quickly, whereas a big boat has plenty of inertia to carry on a bit more per stroke.

And this is how we can all race each other in different machines. Very clever...

Someone step in if I've explained this wrong!!!

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
jgray1970
Warming up

Post by jgray1970 »

Thanks and yes that makes sense to me.

I still cant get my times to show up when I copy and paste it from the utilities to show my times?

Anyone know why this would be please?

Thanks.
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Welcome to the team-you will be very well rowing those distances and notice an incredible improvement in your fitness levels :D

Did you check if you were still logged in to the forum when you tried to enter your results ?
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
jgray1970
Warming up

Post by jgray1970 »

Hi yes I was logged in.

If you look above my - Be Happy :) you will see that its like a square box where the image should be?

It don't really matter, just would of been nice to show my slow times off :)