British Rowing Indoor Championships - Entries now open

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model D with PM5

British Rowing Indoor Championships - Entries now open

Post by Recess »

In case anyone didn't register for the email updates, entries are now open for the British Rowing Indoor Championships.

Pretty steep at £32.50 (with 10% early bird discount) but as Julie has given me a pass for the weekend, I'll travel down to London for it.

I'm guessing at 39, I'll be a master?

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: British Rowing Indoor Championships - Entries now open

Post by Rodger »

You will need to be 73 kg to enter as a lwt for this (59.5 for women), not the usual 75 kg (61.5 for women). Why would this be?
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Rodger wrote:You will need to be 73 kg to enter as a lwt for this (59.5 for women), not the usual 75 kg (61.5 for women). Why would this be?
I think (although I'm not sure) that it is because those are the OTW Lightweight limits as opposed to the traditional indoor rowing weight limits. Maybe as it is now British Rowing that are running/sponsoring the event they feel the need to tie the weights together ??
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

plummy wrote:
Rodger wrote:You will need to be 73 kg to enter as a lwt for this (59.5 for women), not the usual 75 kg (61.5 for women). Why would this be?
I think (although I'm not sure) that it is because those are the OTW Lightweight limits as opposed to the traditional indoor rowing weight limits. Maybe as it is now British Rowing that are running/sponsoring the event they feel the need to tie the weights together ??
That's what they're saying on Facebook. A bit annoying for those who struggle to make the weight.

Does anyone know why the limits for OTE and OTW are different? Did the OTW limits change at some point in the past or has there always been a difference?
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Recess

Post by Recess »

Very annoying I'd say! I'm at a comfortable 73.4 it seems - now I have to decide whether I can survive Christmas, and lose another Kg before february...

That said, it would be useful to have a stretch goal when it comes to weight. Hitting my needs now means I'm prone to 'just one won't hurt...' decisions.

John

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Recess wrote:Very annoying I'd say! I'm at a comfortable 73.4 it seems - now I have to decide whether I can survive Christmas, and lose another Kg before february...

That said, it would be useful to have a stretch goal when it comes to weight. Hitting my needs now means I'm prone to 'just one won't hurt...' decisions.

John
If you're comfortable at 73.4, the change in limit might improve your chances because it might eliminate rivals who are very close to the 75kg mark.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Recess

Post by Recess »

Phew! It seems they've come to their senses, and have raised the weight limit for LWTs to 75 like every other indoor champs. I wasn't too fussed about losing the weight, but I knew it would be a performance sacrifice to get down that low. Bring on the cake!

John

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

They've also extended the early bird pricing right up to the closing date. And the group pricing is available to any group of 10 or more. I wonder could we rustle up ten Free Spirits?
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

At this stage, I'm pretty much certain to be competing in BRIC 2015, unless I get injured or am otherwise unable to take part.

I'm still interested in doing a group booking if we can rustle up enough names.