Preventing lower back problems?

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Preventing lower back problems?

Post by Recess »

So, I'm pretty much back to normal with my inter costal/cracked rib issue...

But yesterday, on my bike ride home, I popped a disc in my lower back!!! Fortunately, some stretching and breathing exercises and the powers of a healer at work (yes I'm sceptical too, but she has fixed me in the past!) and I'm going to bed at a pain of 1 instead of 9.

But I've obviously got issues with my lower back (to mention just one) and it makes me think I should start doing something to strengthen and prevent.

Apart from Bridges and Cobra bends, does anyone has any advice?

If the backs ok in the morning I'll have a slow 6k tester session tomorrow, but I'm running out of time for speed training!!!

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
kirbyt
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: Preventing lower back problems?

Post by kirbyt »

You've probably heard this before, and you may already be strong in this area, but...strengthen your core. I used to play a lot of basketball in my twenties and had kind of a bad back. I made a concerted effort to strengthen my abs (core muscles) and have not had an issue since, even when I began playing basketball again in my late thirties. (my knees are another story).
54 years old probably around 77kg.
Recess

Post by Recess »

Interesting. I hadn't thought about core being an issue. But as I've not been able to do any core training since beginning of October due to chest issue, that actually shines a light on a large potential reason.

Will tentatively reintroduce sooner rather than later, thanks Kirby.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

Here some examples of simple excercises to strenghten the core "in a functional way". If well done they are difficult, but you don't need much eqipment: http://youtu.be/phzVJ39-hX8
Recess

Post by Recess »

Thanks Boris. I've got TRX straps at home, and don't use them to their full capabilities. This video will hopefully make me get more use out of them - and sort out my back at the same time!

John

dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

Recess wrote:This video will hopefully make me get more use out of them - and sort out my back at the same time!
Good luck!

Maybe (if you like and allowed) one advice/hint… Starting theses excercises it's a common mistake not to really engage the core muscles – people are just not used to it and tend to hold form "full with their backs" (don't know how explain it better in english :oops: ). Especially exercise #5… when you lean forward no pain in lower back allowed! If you get some sort pain/stiching in the back, the core muscles are to weak to counterhold. All "strentgh" has to come from core. If you start doing these excersises you will become short breathed while excersing them. So take your time and try to them on an daily base... and not too much repetitions in one row. =D>
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

John did you decide to lower your drag factor? You had it quite high as I recall.

The rowers I know with lower back and rib issues do work on core, as mentioned above. Some also swear by yoga (and one likes to hang upside down to stretch her spine). Personally I'll only do yoga & such acrobatics with a very competent teacher/trainer present, having had a mix of experiences. Anyway, a trainer who really understands rowing movement and can work with you weekly to learn to isolate muscle groups, would be important to keeping you on track with race training -- if you can find such a resource. (We have one here who works with rowers, lucky.)

Best wishes!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

As Barbara said, you can "always" (that is if you don´t have heart/BP issues) do traction stretches.

For prevention you can train strength, i.e. dead lifts, squats, cleans... or you can do stretching... One should listen to medical advice in case of an injury, I would suggest...

Best of luck, John :!:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
Recess

Post by Recess »

Thanks everyone, some great tips, I really appreciate it. And yes, I've dropped to 160 for the time being. Will have to think hard about whether to push it back up to 180 before the SIRC in a couple of week's time.

Will use this months Ctc as a guide test this weekend hopefully.

I like the idea of hanging upside down though...

Thanks again,
John