What weight training do you do?

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model D with PM5

What weight training do you do?

Post by Recess »

So in an effort to increase my performance, I've taken the shirts off the weights bench, scraped the rust off the plates, and I'm back into lifting some weights.

But, in my endeavours to stay under 75Kg, I don't want to add any junk muscle that won't help my times on the erg.

So my question is, from an upper body point of view, what weight training should I be doing which will help add power? Hammer curls seem to hit the similar parts of the bicep, so I'm happily doing them - and bent over rows too obviously.

I've also got a relatively good core workout going on - but what other moves do you suggest that are rowing specific?

(I've not talked legs firstly because I do squats, but mostly because I cycle 25 miles a day, and figure I'm hitting them hard enough already)

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
luffy
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM2+

Re: What weight training do you do?

Post by luffy »

I do weights twice a week as part of my training. One day is squats and the other is deadlifts then mixed with both days is accessory work like bent over row or single arm Db rows which I believe are the best for the back.

I've got no issues with trying to stick below 75kg though as I'm well into the heavyweight category at 97kg!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kirbyt
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by kirbyt »

I do a circuit of light weights, crunches and pullups three times a week. I doubt that they make me any faster on the rower but they do keep me from over training and I like to think they give me a good balance of strength for my size and age.

I have read many discussions on the subject of rowing/erging performance and weight training online and it seems like there is no consensus about the effectiveness of strength training for improvements in speed on water or land. I don't think upper body weight training would lead to any improvements on the rower as the legs are doing the real work. Apparently, compound lifts Involving the whole body are the preferred lifts among elite rowers. Ed McNeely, former strength and conditioning consultant to Rowing Canada has written many articles about this subject, there is even a table with suggested strength goals over three lifts and various ages here: https://www.peakcentre.ca/rowing/streng ... es-rowers/
54 years old probably around 77kg.
Recess

Post by Recess »

I've been reading up on this a bit over the past couple of days, and it seems to go along with what Kirby's saying. That weight training may increase muscle mas, but it doesn't particularly help the rowing.

It seems that if you want to get better at rowing, row more.

So that's what I'll do. I'll still incorporate some weight sessions just for injury prevention etc, but I'll not try to replace time in the seat with weights in the hopes that I'll get more powerful that way.

Thanks folks.

John

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

I like to do rows, millitary presses, and biceps curls... And also Power Clean and Front Squat Combos - these can feel pretty nasty after some 6, 8 or 10 reps... :evil:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
Recess

Post by Recess »

I've heard a lot of folks say the power clean is a good option, as it mirrors the row mechanics quite well. I may investigate, but as I have a history of seizing muscles in my lower back, it may not be long lived!

Do you feel your results are improved by the extra weight training though? Or is your (bloody impressive) performance mostly just from time spent rowing?

Cheers,
John

luffy
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM2+

Post by luffy »

I have a background of Olympic lifting (my weight training coach is a welsh Olympic lifter) and what I will say about the power clean is it's only good if it is performed efficiently.

Deadlifts are good especially Romanian deadlifts as the legs are straight so it really works hamstrings and lower back which is good for rowing.

My problem when I started rowing is I came from a CrossFit background and the problem with CrossFit is it is more focused on shoulder upper body and quads. My hamstrings were non existent and I really noticed this when I started rowing more so I do a lot of different types of deadlifts and "good mornings" to increase strength and performance in hamstrings.

I believe the weight training I have been doing is helping my rowing as it is being specifically designed and programmed around the muscles needed for rowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Recess

Post by Recess »

That's interesting, I wonder if the hamstring thing has anything to do with why I took to this relatively quickly . I'd always figured the amount of cycling I do had a large factor to it, but I wonder if apart from general fitness, it's actually the hamstring thing?

John

dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

I try to do these excersices as good as possible…
  • high pulls
  • press behind neck
  • front curls
  • bent over rowing
  • lateral dips
  • squat
  • bench/chest press
  • clean and press
  • jack knife crunch
  • bench pull
  • hyperextensions
  • lunges
  • several core exercises.
My training at home is quite limited. :cry: So I try to do my best of this situation with TRX, sandbags, a dip station, Sypoba (a balance board) and resistance bands. I try to adjust the weight as good as possible, but especially with the olympic (and difficult/heavy) exercises like squatting or clean and press I would benefit from a barbell an a rack.