UPCOMING; FIRST 10K and ROWPRO

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

cowboygrrl
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model C with PM5

UPCOMING; FIRST 10K and ROWPRO

Post by cowboygrrl »

I just installed RP and will be using it the next 1-1/2 weeks before my first ever 10k. I'm wondering if there's any FS out there that would like to do an online session with me for my 10k. I've been rowing only since mid-March, female, and I'm following the Beginner PP. I'm looking at June 28, in the morning (USA-Pacific time). I'm guessing around a 2:40 pace. May need help setting up the session on RP too. :lol:
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: UPCOMING; FIRST 10K and ROWPRO

Post by plummy »

It would be useful to know what actual time you mean to do this row. The "morning" could be 6am up to 11am local for you. The 28th is a good choice as it's a Saturday and it eliminates many with a work commitment issue.

If you set up the row you normally default to becoming the starter (that's a bit scary too - although in reality quite simple)

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
cowboygrrl

Post by cowboygrrl »

I thought I'd throw out a larger segment of time to see if any are interested. In other words, I'm flexible, though I'd prefer something about 10-11. What I'm really confused about is setting the time with GMT. Let's see if I have this right…….. If I chose Sat. at 10:00 (my time), that be 5:00 PM GMT? We're on daylight savings time, so a 7 hour difference?
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

cowboygrrl wrote:I thought I'd throw out a larger segment of time to see if any are interested. In other words, I'm flexible, though I'd prefer something about 10-11. What I'm really confused about is setting the time with GMT. Let's see if I have this right…….. If I chose Sat. at 10:00 (my time), that be 5:00 PM GMT? We're on daylight savings time, so a 7 hour difference?
Hi Kellie

We're currently on Summer Time, so the difference is 8 hours. In Ireland and the UK, the clocks go forward on the last Sunday in March and back on the last Sunday in October. I think the US goes onto Summer time on the second Sunday in March so there's a period of either 2 or 3 weeks when the difference is only 7 hours. As far as I know, it's 8 hours for the rest of the year (except maybe for a week at end October?).
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
cowboygrrl

Post by cowboygrrl »

Paul Victory wrote: Hi Kellie

We're currently on Summer Time, so the difference is 8 hours. In Ireland and the UK, the clocks go forward on the last Sunday in March and back on the last Sunday in October. I think the US goes onto Summer time on the second Sunday in March so there's a period of either 2 or 3 weeks when the difference is only 7 hours. As far as I know, it's 8 hours for the rest of the year (except maybe for a week at end October?).
So I'd set a 18:00 time GMT for 10AM time in California?
plummy

Post by plummy »

Sounds right to me.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

cowboygrrl wrote:So I'd set a 18:00 time GMT for 10AM time in California?
Not exactly. :? 10 a.m. in California is 6 p.m. BST, but is 5 p.m. GMT. So, if you're setting the time by reference to GMT, you need to allow for the fact that it's currently BST in the UK and Ireland, which is one hour ahead of GMT.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
plummy

Post by plummy »

Fair and valid point Paul.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
cowboygrrl

Post by cowboygrrl »

Paul Victory wrote:
cowboygrrl wrote:So I'd set a 18:00 time GMT for 10AM time in California?
Not exactly. :? 10 a.m. in California is 6 p.m. BST, but is 5 p.m. GMT. So, if you're setting the time by reference to GMT, you need to allow for the fact that it's currently BST in the UK and Ireland, which is one hour ahead of GMT.
OK, so BST is set 1 hr. forward, but GMT doesn't. Therefore it's 7 hrs. behind GMT in California. If I wanted to row at 10:00 my time, I'd post the row at 17:00 GMT. Right?
plummy

Post by plummy »

If it's a 7 hour difference then yes, that's the way I understand it. It is a muddle and there's plenty of people turned up an hour early or late for rows (including me)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
cowboygrrl

Post by cowboygrrl »

Thanks for your help Plummy and Paul. I've gone ahead and scheduled a 10k row with RP for June 28, at 17:00 GMT (not BST). If anyone is sure that's NOT 10:00 California time-let me know. Otherwise, hope to see you there or please help me spread the word. It'd be nice to have some fellow FS. :fswink:
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by CamiCrew »

Kellie -- glad you got it running & the 10k scheduled! Cool. Yes you have the CA part of the timing right. It can get complicated figuring time zones but sounds like you've got a handle on it.

I would love to join but... on 6/28 @ 10a I will be driving to the Bay Area for a USRowing Regional regatta at San Pablo Reservoir, near Berkeley. Racing Sunday noonish, then heading home. My club isn't going to the race this year, and yes I'm driving 7 hours each way for literally 4 minutes of racing, but I don't get many opportunities to put myself in race situations, so decided to go for it.

I hope to find you out on Rowpro in the near future!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
cowboygrrl

Post by cowboygrrl »

CamiCrew wrote:Kellie -- glad you got it running & the 10k scheduled! Cool. Yes you have the CA part of the timing right. It can get complicated figuring time zones but sounds like you've got a handle on it.

I would love to join but... on 6/28 @ 10a I will be driving to the Bay Area for a USRowing Regional regatta at San Pablo Reservoir, near Berkeley. Racing Sunday noonish, then heading home. My club isn't going to the race this year, and yes I'm driving 7 hours each way for literally 4 minutes of racing, but I don't get many opportunities to put myself in race situations, so decided to go for it.

I hope to find you out on Rowpro in the near future!
Funny, I live right where you're going. Enjoy the race. Sorry you can't join me. Maybe next time.