Optimum strategy for rolling starts

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Optimum strategy for rolling starts

Post by Paul Victory »

Recently, when I have been doing intervals that allow a rolling start, I pick up the handle with about 7 seconds to go, lean forward and pull like hell when the timer gets down to 1 second. This generally gives me a fast first split, but can backfire if I get the timing wrong.

For today's PP 4 x 2k, I decided to start rowing with 10 seconds remaining and increased speed gradually over the 10 seconds so that I was hitting full pace with about a second to go. This seemed to give me a more consistent starting split and was not as hard on the back and shoulder muscles. I think I'll try this approach for future intervals.

Does this tie in with what other people are doing or does anyone have thoughts on other alternatives that work for them?
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: Optimum strategy for rolling starts

Post by Rodger »

That's an interesting question.

When training, I personally never use rolling starts, although I sometimes 'false start'. I mean: start pulling the handle just (half a second or something) before the timer gets to '0'. That doesn't give a particular fast first split, though. As this is the same for me in every interval training session, I'm not bothered about that. It's the comparability with the previous workout that's more important to me.

But for challenges like this month's CTC, it would be handy to know how to get a good rolling start. I probably should experiment with different strategies some day. :idea: :roll:
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by CamiCrew »

Paul I just did the CTC last night -- so was thinking to myself how great rolling starts are. I was doing exactly what you describe in your second method, building up pace and rate gradually starting at 10 seconds before - until I hit the interval with my first average coming up at 2-3 seconds below target pace. It is nice to have the average drift up to target instead of fighting it down to target after a static start. Love that. But yes, your 2nd description sounds like my preference.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
thornmaster
Rower and forum addict...

Post by thornmaster »

I do something very similar to you Barbara. For faster intervals where lactate build up can be an issue, I tend to do a lot of active rest in the rest periods. Rowing at a low rate and very light power to keep the muscles moving and blood pumping round to help carry lactate away from muscles. Regardles of if I have been doing active rest I start rowing with about 20 seconds to go, also at a realy slow pace and rate (I make sure that I am comfortable and straps are tight at this point). With about 5 strokes to go I gently accelerate to approx warm up pace. I use the last two strokes to accelerate to to just under target pace, aiming to be in the first half of the second stroke as the interval starts. I then try to settle into target place in the next 10 strokes, by which time my average pace should be drifting up to target pace. :fssmile:
Andy 48 6'9" 125kg

plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by plummy »

I am in agreement too. About ten seconds before the interval starts I start ramping up the pace and will be flat out with 1~2 seconds to spare. It's better going off a second too early than missing the start.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks everyone. I'm planning to have another go at this month's CTC tomorrow and I'm going to try the 10 seconds approach. Hopefully it will help me to shave a few seconds off my previous attempt.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Wolfmiester
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

this will depend on personal stroke rate, but I even count to the odd second for each stroke.
I.E. I will paddle slowly and lightly from anywhere within 30s, but I focus with 11s to go and pull a stroke on 9, 7, 5, 3 and finally 1.
I have found that way to be the most consistent.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k