What's your resting heart rate?

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

sander
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: What's your resting heart rate?

Post by sander »

My HRmax is around 196bpm and I am 43. I rarely see this value more than a few times per year, in races. But I regularly arrive at 180+ and that's hard work.

I also think that the transition between the zones are individual. Otherwise I cannot explain the behavior of my own funny heart.

Training Blog: http://blog.rowsandall.com/
Free Data and Analysis. For Rowers. By Rowers: http://rowsandall.com
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

rhr wrote:John - Boris mentioned his max HR on the rower was a lot lower than other sports due to a short torso and compression during the stroke. Sorry - see he posted it earlier. That may be your issue.
I found this little snippet in the NYT, I don't think it applies to rowing though, unless your back lean at the finish is almost horizontal.:D

"Then there are the differences among sports. Swimmers, for example, have lower heart rates when they swim than runners when they run. The reason, Dr. O’Connor explained, is that during running, your heart has to push blood against gravity to bring it to your head. During swimming, your heart does not have to exert that extra force."
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Recess »

So.... I've just had my blood pressure taken. It was 147/83. I know this is high - though I'm wondering if my resting heart rate (36bpm at the time of taking blood pressure) has anything to do with this? I wonder if each beat is forcing blood around my body with more pressure than if it was beating 60 times a minute?

Reading Target
Systolic Blood Pressure 147mmHg 140mmHg or lower
Diastolic Blood Pressure 83mmHg 90mmHg or lower
Heart Rate 36bpm 60bpm - 100bpm
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

Recess wrote:I'm wondering if my resting heart rate (36bpm at the time of taking blood pressure) has anything to do with this?
What I know is that blood pressure has generally nothing to do with low heart rate. But… I'm not a doctor, so I have no well-founded knowledge.

Related things to high blood pressure are: genetics, thyroid gland over function, too much consumption sodium chloride, stress, alcohol and nicotine, arteriosclerosis, sleep apnea, cushing syndrom (too high cortisol level in your blood) and some other points.
Recess

Post by Recess »

Yeah, I did think I was reaching a bit with the heartbeat thing. Just trying to work out what I can do to help it. I don't add salt to anything, I don't figure I'm a stressed type - I'm not drinking at the moment - I don't smoke - so maybe there's something more medical going on.

Of course, I may just have had a bad day! There's a testing station at work which I intend to use as often as i can, just to see what fluctuations are there through the day / week.

John

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

Recess wrote:Yeah, I did think I was reaching a bit with the heartbeat thing.
In first thought it seems to logical to be like this. So, don't worry. :lol:
Just trying to work out what I can do to help it. I don't add salt to anything, I don't figure I'm a stressed type - I'm not drinking at the moment - I don't smoke - so maybe there's something more medical going on.
As your HRrest (after wakeup) is very/extreme low (27bpm), but you're not typcial person for (iE ultra/extreme distance rower/runner/cycler) and you're a LWT, possibly your thyroid gland is involved into? :-k

Other option is… If you train very hard for too long periods your body creates too much cortisol. If you do not relax enough or do not enough regenerative training you cortisol level stays too high, this causes high blood pressure too. It's also an overtraining symptom. :-k

Again, I'm not a doctor, so I have no well-founded knowledge/training. :fswink:

Of course, I may just have had a bad day!
Of course…
There's a testing station at work which I intend to use as often as i can, just to see what fluctuations are there through the day / week.
…that's why it's always good to have some more "sample data". =D>
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Recess wrote :-So.... I've just had my blood pressure taken. It was 147/83. I know this is high - though I'm wondering if my resting heart rate (36bpm at the time of taking blood pressure) has anything to do with this? I wonder if each beat is forcing blood around my body with more pressure than if it was beating 60 times a minute?

Reading Target
Systolic Blood Pressure 147mmHg 140mmHg or lower
Diastolic Blood Pressure 83mmHg 90mmHg or lower
Heart Rate 36bpm 60bpm - 100bpm
John- a sample of one is not diagnostic.

I too "had" high blood pressure but I insisted on a 24 hour test, they give you the kit to wear literally for 24 hrs.

It automatically pumps up every 30 mins duing the day AND 90 mins at night

At the end of the 24 hours I was exhausted but having had similar numbers for the one off reading to you the 24 hour test showed me as average 136/72 and average HR of 39 with a low of 33

So I would ask for this-you may have to wait a few weeks to get the kit but it will put your mind at rest
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Recess

Post by Recess »

Funny you should say that. There's a machine at work which I can use whenever I want, and I've become that strange fella who's always dodging work by getting blood pressure checked.

Checking it over the past couple of days has shown it's more likely to be 117/63 (this morning's and yesterday evening's reading) - and that maybe the 147/83 was on the back of a couple of cups of coffee and a viewing that didn't go as well as I'd hoped!

I'll keep checking, but it hopefully looks like the 147 was a bad day!

John

strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

John

I had a feeling you were fine mate based on your amazing fitness and aerobic engine

Cheers

Alan
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Reading this thread made me go out and buy a blood pressure monitor. I've just taken my first reading and it was 139/87, which is classified as prehypertension on both measurements. My pulse was 67.

I think the readings were probably not helped by the fact that I had just had breakfast, including a cup of coffee. I'll try doing it tomorrow first thing in the morning.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Recess

Post by Recess »

Interestingly, I find mine changes depending on when I take it, when I've last eaten etc - so you may want to do it again before lunch and again before bed, just to set a few benchmarks throughout the day. I now look like I'm skiving off work all day, standing at the testing machine!!

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

They supplied a chart with the monitor and the example they gave shows someone taking their BP twice a day - in the morning and in the evening (roughly 12 hours later). The idea is you measure your BP and HR and also record your weight and keep a graph of any changes. I'll try doing it for a couple of weeks and see what kind of pattern emerges.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I know you're not supposed to take measurements several times a day, but I couldn't resist playing with my new toy. I took my BP again, this time over an hour after having the cup of coffee and it was 131/81 with HR 61. That's a lot more in line with what I would have expected, although I think my RHR should be closer to 55. As I had to go upstairs to get the BP monitor, this probably added a couple of bpm. :^o :roll: :wink:
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

I'm no expert and haven't replaced my HR battery since restarting ](*,) but previously recorded 53 RHR having got up and 194 max at 43. My doctor said that a comparisson with traces before I started taining showed a 30% increase in heart volume and I "suffered" the symptoms of athletic heart syndrome (light headed getting up and palpitations). For those who haven't come across this it is not thought to be a problem but can get confused with other things that are. Essentially at very low HR blood pressure can momentarily drop. I believe rowing increases heart volume more than most endurance sports so "Athlete" for many disciplines would have less effect than "serious" for an erger. I cannot understand a large difference between HRmax OTE and cycling. More upright sports achieve higher HR, but I wouldn't put cycling as more upright than rowing, even so 5bpm is normally considered a high difference.

WHat I would say is that HRmax for me is normally at the end of a 5k. I understand there is a heart muscle protection mechanism that actually reduces HR with high CO2. I am yet to see "anaerobic" HR on 1' sprints as a result. Stupid question, but are you measuring HR during excercise and with normal breathing? Both can effect the reading and I know that some people have difficulty picking up signals while rowing.

HTH

IAin
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Used the monitor first thing this morning and my HR was 57. This is more in line with what I would have expected. BP was also lower at 117/85.

I also used my HRM when erging yesterday. It was the first time in ages I've used it because it's been acting up. It stopped registering a few times (just for a few seconds at a time) and I got some funny results. I was doing a Fletcher style warm up which consists of 15 minutes at mostly around 2:00 pace, with 30 second bursts at 1:50, 1:45 and 1:40 pace after 9, 11 and 13 minutes. My HR reached 142 after the first 30 second burst, but was only 124 after the third (and fastest) burst.
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Re blood pressure, I'm sure one of our resident doctors will chip in if I am mistaken, but I thought that systolic BP was not a very useful measurement, it is the diastolic that matters. Interesting point about training increasing cortisols, I remember being told that the best way to get rid of stress hormones was exercise, but I suspect that this assumed occasional or only moderate exercise that would not satisfy the metal mistress!

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
timtim80
Warming up

Post by timtim80 »

sander wrote:My HRmax is around 196bpm and I am 43. I rarely see this value more than a few times per year, in races. But I regularly arrive at 180+ and that's hard work.

I also think that the transition between the zones are individual. Otherwise I cannot explain the behavior of my own funny heart.
Hello. I'd wanted to ask about max heart rate. I know that heart rate has a lot to do with physical condition / medical condition and genetics of an individual.
But while I'm active my heart rate goes up to 200 BPM sometimes. I'm in my mid 30s and according to any charts or HR calculators found on google my max HR should be pretty lower (for example this tool http://healthiack.com/heart-rate-zone-calculator shows 185 BPM MAX HR and similar tools show the same).
So my question is this - can such high heart rate be dangerous for me? My younger brother also has high HR while doing sports.

Thanks for replying.
T
Recess

Post by Recess »

Unless you're overweight/unfit/high blood pressure/have medical issues, I wouldn't worry too much. The 220-age thing is a generality designed to cover everyone. Much like the BMI, it's a good indicator across the population, but we're all individuals, who can't be lumped together.

Especially if your brother is the same, it may be genetics. However, if you're concerned about it and think there's more to it, don't trust me - go see a doctor!

John