Breathing rhythm

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Breathing rhythm

Post by Recess »

Hi folks,

How do you breathe when you row?

I hope that's not as stupid as it sounds, but when running, or cycling, there's a natural rhythm that I easily fall into for a breathing rate and rhythm. Whereas when I'm rowing, because it's not the same going forwards as backwards, I get completely thrown off my rhythm, and take a really fast breath going back and a slower one forwards.

Normally, it's ok on longer, slower rows, but when I'm sprinting (like this month's CTC) I find myself really struggling to catch my breath. I could be fooling myself into thinking it's a technique thing, whereas I'm actually really unfit, but I cycle 25 miles a day, and I'd hope my times in my signature are testament to not being too unfit...

Any tips?

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
GrantR
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Re: Breathing rhythm

Post by GrantR »

What I've found works for me is a rapid inhale during the first half of the pull (the leg/leaning forward part) with a rapid exhale while finishing off the stroke (the arm/straightening back/leaning backward part), then do another deeper inhale/exhale while returning. I think. I'd have to do some rowing to study exactly what it is I do :)
kirbyt
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by kirbyt »

You will feel like you're running out of breath when you're sprinting because you're going into oxygen debt. Personally I naturally make a large exhalation during the drive phase and then a quick in out in during recovery. (That came out kind of awkwardly :oops: ) I haven't sprinted in awhile but I think it's the same when sprinting just faster. I did find running easier for breathing, just breathed out every time my left foot hit the ground regardless of cadence.
54 years old probably around 77kg.
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Funny, I've no idea how I breathe when I'm erging. I think if I started to think about it too much, I'd probably fall off the erg. :roll: :lol:
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

For me at higher intensity the breathing pattern changes to a larger exhale at the finish (back end) and a smaller exhale right before the drive (up at the front). I concentrate more on the exhales and let the inhales take care of themselves, no idea why.

I chose this pattern over time and I work on it. Partly it came from watching otw rowers in videos and seeing them exhale strongly at the release. I really dislike being in the middle of, say, a 5k race piece and suddenly realizing my breathing has gone raggedy and out of control... seems so much harder to get back into the rhythm once you've lost it. Once I'm sprinting at the end I'm not sure what happens to the breathing, I don't think I care at that point.

John I'd be curious how you breathed in cycling? Just pick a natural cadence and breathe to it? My husband recently got a stationery bike and I rode about 100 miles on it in January. Without the cues of the rowing stroke I actually felt a bit clueless on the breathing. Haha -- that sounds funny, like I don't know how to breathe unless I'm rowing. :fsgrin: What Kirby says about the foot going down in running makes sense.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Recess

Post by Recess »

I will have to check, but I think I'm a bi lateral breather when cycling. Breath in for 3 (1.5 full pedal strokes) then out for 3. On long hill climbs I'm big breaths in for 3, the explode out for 2...
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Terra Firma
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Terra Firma »

I have tried both two and one breath techniques for high rate (40ish) sprints and found the most success with two breaths. I exhale once during the drive and once during the catch. I focus on blowing out all of the CO2 that I can. The inhaling does seem to take care of itself. I take one breath in at the top of the drive and one breath in at the catch. If I am going farther than 1,000 meters, I will typically rate below 32 and I will consciously breathe in. An aside, has anyone tried PowerBreathe or RespiBelt products? I have seen some good benefit in my breathing via these. - Chris
- Chris