A Question?

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

chipmunkcheeks
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model C with PM3

A Question?

Post by chipmunkcheeks »

Every day I receive the training plans from the C2 site. I row 3 to 4 times a week, and do interval training once a week. This months CTC I counted as intervals for this week.

My problem is this: on some of the workouts, they want you to row at 22 strokes per min then 24 etc. I row at about 29/30. Weighing 45 kg and only being 5'3 I would go so slow it isn't true. The seat doesn't slide far enough back for me to obtain any distance or speed this way.

Any solutions please? :?: :fsbgrin:
Ambition is the last refuge of failure - Oscar Wilde
strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: A Question?

Post by strider77 »

Abbi, believe me it is slow for all of us that are not 6ft 4 ins tall !

My 22 and 24 spm pace are much slower than my 29/30, just do the best you can, it will build power and make you faster when you revert to your more normal 29/30 :D :wink:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Alan is right. Basically you are at a physiological disadvantage being at petite as you are and there is nothing you can do about that (bar hitting the weights big time and gaining some muscle mass)

When I started erging I was at 29~31SPM for everything and when I was told to drop that to 22~24 I looked at the guy like he'd completely lost his marbles - but I eventually agreed to try to row at 26 (for training). After a few months 26 felt fast and even 24 felt OK. These days, 20~22 feels OK (for training) but there is no question your pace will drop off at lower stroke rates so don't worry about that, as it will take time and perseverance for the low rate training to have an effect on your power.

The key note is that they are "training" plans, not racing plans.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Rodger »

Hi Abbi,

I have a slightly different view than Alan. Surely those general C2 workouts can not be perfect for everybody at the same time all the time. When I use the C2 workouts of the day, I sometimes change the rate variations. Those good people of C2 (well, that software program that generates the workouts) can't know where you are in your training, how hard you want to push yourself today, and how your fysique and endurance is. I don't think there is much wrong with adjusting the prescribed rates if it suits your fysique better. If you are light and short, you could try adding two spm to the rates. I mean, doing 24 where it says 22, and so on.

Perhaps later, when you have found you can actually generate a faster pace with lower rates than you would think are possible right now, you could try if training at even lower rates has further benefits to you. But that's just my opinion. :fsgrin:
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
chipmunkcheeks
Rower and forum addict...

Post by chipmunkcheeks »

Thank you for all your feedback - I thought it was just me because I am small. I will give it a go (much as not getting any speed increase irks me). I need to get my endurance back too.

Plummy, I do pretty intensive weight training 3 days a week, and I am getting a little muscle strength (does the fact I train with Lou explain the intensity :lol: ) Apart from the summer months when I had to give up gym altogether because mum broke her ribs, and I had no choice but to look after her (boy was I mad that I had to start back at square one in september :oops: ) when I had to give up my rowing - I never gave up on weight training. (You and I know we could never match her biceps!! :lol: )

I really want to join in the competitions again because I thoroughly enjoyed Grimsby and Newark - despite falling off the erg at Grimsby :oops:, I enjoyed meeting people as much as the rowing itself, if not more.

The other thing I want to achieve before the end of this season is to get my million lifetime metres. With only 70 km to go, hopefully by the end of this month, but we will see.
Ambition is the last refuge of failure - Oscar Wilde
GrantR
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by GrantR »

The way I view those slow spm rows is as strength building.

For instance, since you normally row at 30 spm to achieve a certain power level (watts) - let's say 100W - if you row at 20 spm without changing your pull, you'll only be making 20/30 = 67% the amount of power, 67W. But your heart rate will slow down a bunch too, because that's easy. To get your power up to the same level, from 67W back to 100W you will have to pull 50% harder per stroke. And that's the difference in that particular training versus your normal row right there! Asking your muscles to generate that extra force is what will strengthen them up a bunch.