New to the Team

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

colini39
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM4

New to the Team

Post by colini39 »

Hello All,

I just wanted to introduce myself and give you a little background as to why I'm here.
I got on the scales a few months ago after a few days away for my 50th and got a real shock! 5ft 9in and 15st 4lbs. I decided then, something had to be done and quick.
I used to be a runner, but after 7 knee operations to both knee's ,including 2 ligament replacements,that had to stop,I turned to cycling and that was fine for a few years,but about 9 months ago that started causing me trouble too. So the weight piled on and 2 moths ago I gave the gym a try and low and behold,the rower seemed to be fine!

I have rowed in the past,about 12 years ago I managed a 17.38 for 5000m. The last time I rowed was about 8 years ago and managed a FM in 2hrs 59mins 11.7 secs after about 4 months of training,so my goal is to try another Marathon around Christmas time and I,m just at the end of week 3 of the C2 6 month plan 110k.

My first question is. Do you all think it is possible to be faster 8 years later and would I be better following the 80k plan?

OK so that's two questions.

Thanks Colin in Liverpool, now almost 14st
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: New to the Team

Post by Paul Victory »

Hi Colin

Welcome to the team. Those are pretty impressive times and your recent weight loss is pretty impressive too! I'll leave it to others to discuss what training regime is best, but I can tell you from experience that it is possible to regain fitness and even to beat times done when you were a lot younger.

I set a number of PBs in 2005/06 when I was 52/53 and then put on a lot of weight and lost a lot of fitness. I figured I was destined to never even get close to my old times, but in 2011 I got really motivated and eventually broke all my old records and finished 3rd in the RIRC 50 to 59 age group at age 58. So it can definitely be done if you want it badly enough.

Now, I just need to rediscover my motivation and get back to where I was in 2011. :roll:

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
stumpy
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

Hi Colin I just had to reply to your post firstly you being another Colin 8)
Welcome to our little bunch of nutters matey,
With regards the FM yes a PB is doable you just have to do the training for it and that's the hard enjoyable bit, its months of hard work which did me a world of good. You have plenty of targets to aim for both Pauls and mine for starters, But make sure you build it up slowly by getting loads of long steady recovery sessions in. It maybe of interest to you but there are a couple of FM threads on here mainly Stans FM training (Eddie Fletchers) and another called FM training. Good luck with the training and you will more than likely be looking for new pairs of trousers over the next few months :lol: if you keep it up. enjoy.

regards Colin
colini39
Warming up

Post by colini39 »

Thanks Colin and Paul,
It's good to hear what I want should be possible.
Done my longest session so far yesterday,should have been a 12,500 but thought I would do an hour.Managed to get 14355m which I was happy with considering the very hot temp.
Looking forward to moving up the meterboard and moving down in weight!

Colin
gregsmith01748
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015

Post by gregsmith01748 »

HI Colin,

Welcome to Free Spirits. I am another 50 year old, who was fatter in the past and hopes to be faster in the future. There is definitely an age related decline, but I think the training effect is probably much greater. In other words, it probably matters how close to your ultimate potential you were when you were rowing your sub-3 hour marathon.

I just looked and the number 2 spot in the rankings for the marathon in our age bracket is 2:59:15. I think you might want to set your sights on getting back to where you were, rather than surpassing it.

As for 80K vs 110K. I think it really depends on three things.
1. How well you can recover between workouts. It is possible you will make more progress at the lower distance because pushing beyond your limit for recovery will stall your progress. I would start at 80K and work up.
2. How much time you have to sit on the erg
3. Whether you want the extra meters to burn those pesky calories (In which case I suggest reduced intake is better than the additional distance)

Just my 2 cents on the topic. Keep posting what your doing and welcome aboard. 8)
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Welcome to the team Colin. First and foremost, you've taken the first step, joined a team, stated a purpose and put it out in the public domain - all brave and commendable steps and key indicators that you are intending to make a good fist of getting back into shape.
As to whether you can be faster than you were 8 years ago, I guess that's down to how fit you were 8 years ago as per what Greg said. If you were the best you could be then 8 years added is quite a long time but - with the motivation of the team and maybe a better training regime than previously you never know!!

Take your time and don't push too hard for instant massive results - they'll eventually run out as happens to everyone and frustration and disappointment can set in followed rapidly by desperate attempts to make things better and that can result in overtraining (many of us are guilty of that) and injury

In short, enjoy the ride as much as the eventual destination. Any questions - just ask.
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by strider77 »

Welcome to the team Colin, you have already demonstrated tremendous will power and commitment in achieving what you have down from over 15 stone to 14 stone in a few months :D

Back in 2007 I too was very overweight in my case over 17 stones, I am 5ft 10ins tall and at age 56 I was seriously worried.

I used to be a runner like you so the erg suited me quite well as you have to use your legs a bit :lol:

Managed to get down to 13 and a half stones in less than a year and beat all my previous bests on the erg which were done in a less than informed way-whack the lever up to 10-I'm a real man !!-I managed 18:54 for 5k when I was 40 however I managed a PB of 18:14.8 at age 57 and 18:17.0 at 59.

So you can do it if you put the effort in, Plummy is spot on by joining the club you are putting yourself out there and we will support you every step of the way.

Most of all enjoy it-its really great fun and a brilliant way of getting and keeping fit :D
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
colini39
Warming up

Post by colini39 »

Thanks for all your support. I was happy to see it's possible to achieve an improvement even when older.
When I last completed the marathon,I did not actually train that hard and guessed my pace,as I had not trained further than a half marathon.
So I am convinced I will be able to get a PB with 6 months training.I am training at a marathon pace of 2.05 and so that should still give a little leeway to beat my PB.I have just suffered my first bit of over-training,sore forearm, lesson learned.
A steady row to recover today.

Colin