OTW results

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

millie
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

OTW results

Post by millie »

Been a bit quiet of late as got the big end of season OTW regattas happening at the moment! 2 down, one to go. So far so good:

Australian Masters Rowing Championships:
-Gold in the B age (35-42 year old) single scull
-Gold in the C age (average age 43-50) quad scull
-Silver in the C age double scull (narrowly beaten by a crew containing a former Olympian)
So pretty :D about these results. All over 1000m

NSW Grade championships
These are graded based on races won / lost so no age or weight categories. Grades range from A Grade (almost entirely people who have represented the State at Open level) through B, C, D and Novice. I don't do many Grade races as I focus on masters races, so I'm a C-grade but you can row 'up' but not 'down'
-Gold in the B grade single scull - over 2000m; next oldest in the final was 27!
-Silver in the C grade single scull - over 1000m - this race was 15 minutes after I finished the B-grade single so I literally got to the finish, turned around and rowed up to the start for this race! So pretty happy with silver!
-Silver in the C grade double scull - my partner and I average 47 years old; the crew that beat us averaged about 20!!

Final regatta of the season is the NSW Masters Rowing Championships in 2 weeks time. I'll be doing the doing the A age (27-35) and B age (35-42) singles, both of which I won last year, and a quad and maybe double. Then it's our off season, will still be out OTW doing some longer rows (it doesn't get too cold here in winter) and will be keeping the erg-ing up, will probably try and focus on 5k for a bit.
*All PBs set on a Model D on slides
hewitt
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Re: OTW results

Post by hewitt »

Fantastic results Millie. =D> =D> =D>
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
billwright
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by billwright »

Great stuff Millie. ^O^ ^O^ Well done. [-o< [-o<

Bill :fswink: :fswink:

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Awesome stuff - you're a machine!!

^O^ ^O^ =D> =D>
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Grobi »

Very impressive results Amanda, especially against crews that were significantly younger =D> =D> =D> Please change your signature now, you're not "a bit old", you're bloody fast :D
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

hellorachel
Warming up

Post by hellorachel »

wow, thats great, millie! i have a steering assessment today so i can finally get back on the water - i haven't sculled since i moved here in september.
zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

Well done, millie! Those are amazing results! ^O^ ^O^ ^O^
Shang-Chi

Post by Shang-Chi »

Well done Amanda =D> =D> =D> :D
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Just seen this,and very worthy of a "well done" it is too =D> =D> ^O^
Very impressice Amanda, good luck in the final one :fsbgrin:
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
kirbyt
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by kirbyt »

I just looked at this. Big congrats Millie. Sounds very exciting.
54 years old probably around 77kg.
millie

Post by millie »

Thanks all for your comments and Grobi I like your suggestion re my signature :)
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

I agree with Peter, Millie you are very fast indeed =D> ^O^ :D
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
millie

Post by millie »

The season is over!!

Went out on a high with the NSW State Masters Champs over the weekend - I defended my titles in the A age (27-35) and B age (35-42) single scull, the former I only won by 0.2sec!! Glad to see I still have a sprint finish in me when needed :D
We also won the C grade (43-50) quad, same crew as Nationals where we won 2 weeks ago.

But best of all, our small suburban Sydney rowing club has won the overall NSW premiership (juniors, open and masters) for the first time in the club's history!! It came down to the last 4 or 5 races, so things were getting a bit stressful! To make it worse, the morning session had to be cancelled as the fog was so bad and we had some crews that would have likely won that didn't get to race.

I am sure my fitness has been helped by the erging so thanks for all the support, encouragement and competition as I reckon that got me that 0.2 seconds I needed :fsbgrin:

Looking forward to doing some more erging over the off season! It's definitely starting to get chilly over here - it was only about 10 degrees (Celsius) this morning, which is usually my limit below which I need to wear a short sleeved top under my zootie :wink: Hope it's warming up for those just starting their OTW seasons!

And I know there are some other Free Spirits who compete OTW - keep this thread going during your racing season and let us know how you are going!
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Millie, you must be feeling on top of the world right now! A wonderful end to a great season. Well done! =D> =D> =D>

0.2 sec? Must have been mighty exciting - though perhaps you couldn't appreciate the suspense at the time. :lol:
millie

Post by millie »

Thanks zoot - actually I had no idea it was so close until right at the end - I don't look around much when racing. But from all the shouting I could hear from the stands I knew it must be pretty close!
billwright
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by billwright »

Great stuff Millie. Well done to you and your OTW team mates. ^O^ =D> ^O^ =D> ^O^

Bill :fswink: :fswink:

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

More brilliant rowing-well done Millie =D> ^O^
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
kirbyt

Post by kirbyt »

Great stuff, Millie, looks like you really know how to move those skinny boats really fast. ^O^. If you have any pics, don't be afraid to post them for us.
millie

Post by millie »

Thanks everyone!

And if you want to see me in action - here's some video my coach took of me winning the WB1x (womens B grade (36-42 years) single scull at the Australian Masters Rowing Championships a few weeks ago in Canberra. I'm in the yellow boat, in the white zootie with the red stripe. And if you watch it with audio you'll hear my coach and club president discussing the fact that my hands were a bit slow away at the finish (lazy habit of mine, been working on that since :) ).

The angle is weird so you can't see my position in the race very well - but I was in the lead the whole way (it's the last 500m or so), although it doesn't look that way in the video! The girl on my left came second (who you don't see until towards the end of the video) and the girl on my immediate right came third (she looks like she's ahead of me at the start of the video but she wasn't).

(hope this works - first time I've embedded a youtube link into a post!)
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

That was way cool! Thanks for sharing that! 8)

Aside from the hands, your form looked very good... not that I know anything about it, you just made it look very, very easy and that's usually the mark of having good form (in anything). :fsbgrin:

I know this is a stupid question... but how the heck do your keep the boat going in a straight line?!? :-k
kirbyt

Post by kirbyt »

Thanks for the video, Millie. You look strong and composed on the water, looks like you really put the hammer down at the finish there. 8)
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Thanks for sharing that video :fswink: I wouldn't worry about the "hands slow away at the finish". You're quick and that's what counts. I for example am slow at the catch but I don't race anymore so I'm fine with that.

Your white shirt with the red stripe looks like the german national jersey. The yellow racing shell looks like a german one (Empacher). Are you sure you aren't german? :D
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

millie

Post by millie »

Grobi wrote:Your white shirt with the red stripe looks like the german national jersey. The yellow racing shell looks like a german one (Empacher). Are you sure you aren't german?
:lol: :lol:

You're right my boat looks like an Empacher, but it's actually a Ted Hale (be surprised if there are many of these outside Australia). As you might have seen in the WAARC / CTC my surname is very Germanic sounding, although the origins are apparently Dutch. And the zootie design is actually from St George (English patron saint who slayed the dragon)....

So I'm not German, although I did work in Dusseldorf for 3 months about 15 years ago and I have a fondness for German beers!
gregsmith01748
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Hi free spirits!

Long time no post. I've had a busy summer and fall. Since the beginning of July, I've only rowed 158k on the erg, and I've rowed 742k on the water. All of that was building up to my first on the water race, which transpired on Sunday.

I set my sights on entering the Textile River Regatta in Lowell Massachusetts at the beginning of July. This regatta has a reputation for being somewhat kinder to first timers than other races. It is a 6km head race, which means that entrants are started at 10 second intervals and you compete on time to complete the course. You also try to pass the guys in front of you and avoid being passed by the guys behind.

Over the summer, I did an on the water version of the Pete plan with 3 distance sessions per week and 3 more intense sessions in the familiar short interval, long interval and hard distance format. Doing this on the water required a bit of flexibility and improvisation, but it worked out pretty well.

I had low expectations, and a healthy amount of abject terror about the race. In on the water rowing, you really don't get the types of people who enter running or erg races on a lark. Most of the people have rowed for many years and know exactly what they are doing. In other words, the 500 miles I did over the summer is nothing compared to the time in the saddle that my competition had. My objective was simple...don't finish last!

Otw races have events that are grouped by age, just like erg races, but with an additional twist. Usrowing has an age related handicap formula which subtracts time off your split as you get older in the age bracket. So as a youthful 50 year old in the 50-59 group, I had the smallest correction. There were 11 starters in my event. I finished 7th on raw time and 9th on corrected time. So I guess that means I met my goal.

There's a more complete write up of my adventure here: http://therowingcompany.com/forum/blog.php?u=11746

I'm excited to get some coaching and I bet I can aspire to true mediocrity next season!

Now, it's almost time to retreat to the erg and start my lactate based traing experiment on the path to the CRASH-Bs.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
gregsmith01748
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

I competed in my second head race yesterday on the Merrimack river, called appropriately enough, the Merrimack chase. It was a small event, less than 200 boats all together, and only 9 registered in the men's masters 1x.

It was cold (0C) and windy. It was blowing 10 to 15mph from the west which was a head wind for the first half of the race.

Here's a map, the red line is the actual race.

I started with bow number 22, and managed to pass 3 or 4 boats. I ended up winning! I'm glad that no one who was really fast was willing to race this late in the season. :lol:

Here a video excerpt from the race. This is from about 13 minutes into the race until about 18 minutes. If you scan to the 1:15 mark, you can watch me chase down my last victim. He made it tough. It took me a couple of minutes to work my way past him, but once we were side by side, he slipped astern pretty quickly.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_btMyuYjtM[/youtube]

Even though it was a tiny race I'm still very happy with how it went.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/