OTW results

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

kirbyt
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: OTW results

Post by kirbyt »

Congrats, Greg. You won by a considerable margin and in a boat that according to your descriptions is not exactly fast. The link didn't work for me but a youtube search was quite easy, I watched your finish--heartrate really climbed quite nicely. :wink:
I ended up winning! I'm glad that no one who was really fast was willing to race this late in the season...

Even though it was a tiny race I'm still very happy with how it went.
I know exactly how that feels. When I used to run (about seventeen years ago) I entered a small 10k road race and found myself leading almost from the start which was stunning considering the fast guys usually would beat me by a good 8-10 minutes. After the race, I talked to a woman who had congratulated me on my win and I said thanks but what happened? Where were all the fast guys? She told me that the course was so hilly they knew their times would suffer so they didn't bother...it was fine with me. :D
54 years old probably around 77kg.
gregsmith01748
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Thanks, Kirby. I think I will remember this feeling for a while. One thing that made me feel like I'm making progress was comparing how I did to the guy who finished second. I raced him a month ago and beat him by a much narrower margin. In that race, my pace was about 5 sec per 500 faster. In this race, it was more than 10 sec per 500 faster.

I'll take that any day.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Grobi »

Greg, huge congrats on your otw win! Small race or not, a win is a win is a win :D That was the perfect end of your otw season and should give you the momentum for a successful preparation for Crash-B's (and for the search of a lighter and straight driving boat :fswink: )!
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Fantastic result Greg-well done-looking really strong and relaxed =D> ^O^

I am guessing it was pretty cold :D
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

I raced in the Festival Regatta in Lowell, MA last Sunday. It was my first sprint races. I did the 50-59 Masters 1K race and the 2K open race.

Conditions: 70 to 80F, light SW wind (3-5mph) which was a tail wind on the course. Significant current, as near as I could figure it was worth 10 seconds on the pace, turning a 2:00 pace into a 1:50 pace by GPS.

First up the 1K. I was racing in a flight with 2 other rowers. We were in lanes 2,3 (me) and 4. It was a floating start, with a brisk current, so it all happened pretty quick. They lined us up called the alignment, the starter said "quick start, attention, row" about that quickly and we were off. My adrenaline was pumping and I took off like a rocket. I was leading for the first 200m, but my form started to fall apart. I brought down the rate from a frighteningly high 35 to a more reasonable 31, and calmed down a bit. The next issue was that I was drifting across the lane toward the guy in lane 2. The lanes were buoyed only between 1 and 2, and then between 3 and 4, so I was sharing a wide lane with the guy in 2. I corrected, but in the process, managed to take a very bad stroke which slowed me way down. I settled down, smoothed out and then about 150m later, did the same thing. By now I was behind the two other guys, but we were all within a boat length of each other.

That last crab was with about 350m to go, and then I got into a better groove. I started to make up distance on the guy in lane 4, so I kept my eye on my point and just concentrated on taking long strokes. After an eternity, I heard a beep, and then a second later, another beep (that was me), then after 3 more seconds a third. All of us finished with 5 seconds of each other.

This is the data from the speedcoach, so the current is not effecting the splits.

For comparison, here is the GPS based data. Oh, how I wish I could row this fast!

I was second in my heat on raw time with a 3:45.17, but last in my flight after the handicap was applied, by 0.6 seconds! I was 3rd of 7 in 50 to 59 E Class, and 4th of 7 with handicap applied. Without my mistakes, I would have been one place higher. All in all, not bad for a first race.

Looking at the times, I think I can realistically target a 5% improvement in pace by next season, which will put me in the hunt.

The time is deceptively low. The course was a true 1000m as measured by GPS, but 50m shorter as measured by the speedcoach because of the current. My avg pace was a 1:58.7 by impeller and 1:48.5 by GPS. I take that as beating my objective which was a sub-4:00 for the 1K. 8)

Impeller (1K)
05214_|_0940_|_03:43_|_1:58.7_____|_125_____|_33.6_|_07.5_
GPS (1K)
06595_|_1055_|_03:49_|_1:48.5_____|_125_____|_32.7_|_08.4_

I then paddled back to the dock, got my boat back on slings and went and had a water in the shade. I had about 30 minutes to kill, so I just tried to relax. I should have waited longer, but again I boated too early and had a lot of time to kill, sitting in the hot sun. Eventually, I confronted my biggest fear...approaching the stake boat. I'm glad I didn't find this out until later, but apparently a number of boats flipped on Saturday trying to back into the stakeboats. It was a challenge to approach the stake boat from the side, turn sharply by back on the staboard side, and then backing into the current in a straight line and managing to get my stern exactly in the right place. It took longer than I would have liked, but I succeeded first time. As soon the kid on the stake boat had me, I felt a lot more relaxed. :lol:

They let us sit there for a while, until the scheduled start time. There were 4 rowers in my heat. I was in lane 2. Eventually, they polled us, called attention and called row.

I started pretty easy, or so I thought. 2K is a long way, and I had low expectations, but I found myself right alongside the two guys on either side of me. In lane three was a guy from Kuwait who is studying in the US. He started to pull away and I didn't try to chase him. I started to pull away from the guy in lane 1, which was good because the lane markers were incorrectly placed or missing altogether in the first 500m of the course. The chase boat followed us and helpfully pointed us in the right direction and kept us clean.

Adrenaline is s funny thing. At about 30 strokes into the 2k, I was feeling a bit winded, and looked down at the speedcoach. I was rowing at a 35 rate and pulling a 1:55 pace. Ummm, no wonder. That was about 15 seconds faster than my target pace. So, I shifted down 28 to 30 rate and tried to lengthen out my stroke. At the 500m mark, I needed to do some serious course correction and that slowed me down, and after that it's a bit of a blur. I tried to keep the rate about constant, but I would have to check and consciously bring it down.

With about 500m left, I was really feeling it, but the end was near. I took ten strokes for length, and my rate dropped and my split dropped too. Suddenly the strokes felt smooth and powerful. I chanced a look to my starboard and I could see that Mr Kuwait had about a 2 boat length lead on me, but he I think I was creeping up on him. I inched the rate up and tried to squeeze everything out of each stroke, but I couldn't close the gap. I finished 4 seconds behind him and I was totally gassed. I spoke to him later and he said he was up on my by about 4 boat lengths mid race, and he was wondering if I could catch him in time.

Here is the first 700m of the 2K from the speedcoach. That's where I ran out of memory.

Here is the whole race from GPS data.

GPS (whole 2K)
04430_|_2030_|_07:50_|_1:55.8_____|_235_____|_30.0_|_08.6_|

My speedcoach ran out of memory at the 700m point in the 2K. But to that point, it showed an even bigger 12 second differential in pace.
Impeller (first 700m of 2K)
11310_|_0670_|_02:48_|_2:05.4_____|_087_____|_31.1_|_07.7_|
GPS (first 700m)
04430_|_0740_|_02:48_|_1:53.5_____|_087_____|_31.1_|_08.5_|

In terms of how I did in the race. Not as well as the in the masters. I was 8th out of 11 rowers across 3 flights.

I was 9.5% off the winning time, and there was a cluster of rowers between 7% and 10% off winning. Realistically, I think I can probably shave 10 seconds off my total time by next season, which would bring me up to a top 5 finish. I'd be happy with that.

It was a very long morning. I arrived at 6:15, and I boated for my race around 7:45, a full hour before hand. I had enough time for a full warmup and then enough time for it to wear off. Then the same thing for the 2K. Next time I will launch about 40 minutes before my start to minimize the time baking in the sun. By the time I finished the day, I had rowed 15K and spend 105 minutes on the water to do 3K of racing.

Here are a couple of pictures.

CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

Great race writeup, Greg. Your analysis -- not only of the data and charts, but also how you feel and conditions on the course -- is so impressive. I get inspired reading about it. Look forward to seeing you gain more & more competitive advantage as you get familiar with racing scenarios. Also cool to see how you set very focused goals based on your results.

Congratulations on the day's effort... and for staying upright & dry during stake boat maneuvers. :wink:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Great write up, Greg. Makes me feel like I was there. Also makes me realise how simple erging is compared to OTW rowing. About the only things that can go wrong when you're erging are the erg hopping during a sprint or having some idiot beside you if you're in a gym. Or an interruption by a family member if at home.

It sounds like a great experience and so much more layered than erging. I expect it's the thought of OTW that keeps you going through some of the tough winter sessions on the erg when you start asking yourself "why am I doing this?"

Well done on your performances. =D> =D> =D> One question - how do they work out the handicaps?
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Great write up and well done Greg =D>
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Hi Greg, thanks for the writeup and the pictures! You did really well in your first sprint races (although I wouldn't call a 2k a "sprint" :lol: ). It reminded me of some of my otw races and I could feel your pain and the nerviness before the start (that has always been my problem).

You wrote about steering issues. Don't you have a new boat which should go straight, compared to the old one you had? Or were those issues down to the strong current?

"Festival Regatta" makes it sound less painful than it actually is, doesn't it? :lol:
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Paul Victory wrote:One question - how do they work out the handicaps?
You're going to be sorry you asked!

USrowing maintains the "official" age based handicap system for regattas in the US. It is based on a formula that essentially that we are accelerating downhill at an increasing pace!

Most age group rowers hate the systems and many regattas don't use it in favor of just having a straight up competition with the age classes. I definitely feel that way now. I will probably change my mind when I am at the top end of the bracket and get the biggest handicap. :lol:

gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

strider77 wrote:Great write up and well done Greg =D>
Thanks!
gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Grobi wrote: You wrote about steering issues. Don't you have a new boat which should go straight, compared to the old one you had? Or were those issues down to the strong current?
The steering issues we no fault of the boat. The first issue is that there were lane markers only between every other lane, so lanes 1 and 2 shared a lane, 3 and 4, 5 and 6. That was no big deal in the 1K race, because there was literally nothing between you and the finish and you could easily stay clear of the guy in your lane.

The issue was in the 2K. The current was strong enough to submerge the lane markers for the first 200m, which made staying in your lane pure guess work. Added to that, between lanes 1 and 2, and then between 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 were bridge abutments, essentially defining the middle of the close to invisible lane. It was a real challenge to to stay in the lane.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks for setting out the handicapping rules. So basically, it's 1/40th of (age - 27)^2 for single sculls.

Interesting in that it allows for accelerating decline with age, but only gradually accelerating. I saw some formula for erging a couple of years back that allowed for a fairly uniform decline with age up to age 55 or thereabouts and a much more rapid decline above that age. I guess one common feature of any handicapping system is that they appear to favour the older competitor.

In some ways, this may be true. However, the fact that older competitors tend to get the highest scores (particularly in something like the nonathlon) could also be an indicator that the general standard is higher at older ages (due to the less able competitors giving up erging as they get older). On the other hand, the fact that there is a much smaller comparator group can also skew averages in something like the nonathlon and this can be seen in the strong relative performances of females and lightweights as well as older competitors.

Apologies for the long ramble. Being an actuary, I've always been fascinated by numbers.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Only just read your race post from June, Greg. Well written.
It just shows how much less we have to worry about when erging indoors.
6'6" 1971
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

OK, been meaning to put up a race note. The very same day Greg raced, I also raced -- separated by a mere 3,000 miles. One little continent is all! :fsbgrin: I don't have the super cool performance charts, but I'll work on that for the next season, with Greg as my inspiration.

Quick background --I've rowed with a club 5 years, occasionally racing. This year, the club scaled back to one masters event, so a friend and I decided to venture out and try racing a double on our own. I couldn't believe how enjoyable (addictive!?) it is to run off to a race weekend, either renting boats or car-topping them. We traveled to Tempe, Arizona and three locations in California, as much as 7 hours drive each way per race, just to gain whatever experience we could. (Unlike the east coast, races out this way are few and far between.)

The event three weeks ago was our USRowing Regionals -- basically, the season ender till head races in November. We were pleased to take a 2nd, and when we realized we were 2nd across both flights in our age category (9 boats), we were encouraged. It's a goal to try a national or international event and we'll keep up the training as much as two ladies with full time jobs & families can do.

What these races taught us? Definitely -- wind training. Our rowing lake is very calm. Imagine you're on your erg ready to start a piece, and the back of the darn thing picks up and blows to a 45 degree angle and you have to wrestle it back straight. Distracting? You bet. I learned that any race plan I might have carefully plotted immediately went to pot in the wind -- we encountered strong cross-course gusts at 3 of our 4 races. Taking second at the regionals meant we are finally learning to keep our heads and row well together in less than optimal conditions.

If you'd like to see the race and venue -- I've put photos with captions here: http://1drv.ms/WlDcgx (Will take this down in a week or so, but wanted to share.) I'm sitting stroke, my partner is bow.

Womens Masters 2x - Average Age 50+
FinalA
1 4:09.855 Age: 55 -0:16.9 3:52.955 =D>
2 4:18.686 Age: 50 -0:11.4 4:07.286 <== This was us :D Raw time first, then handicap adjusted
3 4:28.563 Age: 54 -0:15.8 4:12.763
4 5:05.530 Age: 52 -0:13.5 4:52.030
FinalB
1 4:55.085 Age: 72 -0:43.7 4:11.385 <== wonderfully fit older ladies out racing ^O^
2 4:33.538 Age: 59 -0:22.1 4:11.438
3 5:02.861 Age: 56 -0:18.2 4:44.661
4 5:12.777 Age: 57 -0:19.4 4:53.377
5 5:35.160 Age: 61 -0:25.0 5:10.160

Cheers.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Awesome result! The NE regionals were the day before my regatta on the same course, but I was too much of a chicken to enter!

I would love to find a good double partner. I think racing a double would be great!

The pictures are great too! Is that a Filippi? Where was race exactly?
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Great rowing Barbara. =D> =D> =D> I sometimes fall off the erg :shock: , so I can't imagine trying to cope with a cross wind.
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Paul -- yes, not good to fall off the erg, that's a hard landing!

Greg -- thanks! That boat was a rental, another club brought us an older lightweight Pocock on their big trailer. I liked it's feel, it was responsive, handled the wind, rated up nicely... though I'm sure my rigging was far from ideal. My training partner's boat is an Empacher. We've had to make difficult decisions on bringing familiar equipment vs. avoiding the risks of car-topping. Been through a few scary moments driving with her boats in strong winds, and she's looking at better rack systems or a trailer.

This Regionals event was held (first time) at San Pablo reservoir in the hills between Berkeley and Walnut Creek -- northern CA not far from San Francisco. Home of Oakland Strokes rowing, I believe. Previously we raced in the middle of Oakland several years, also a nice venue. San Pablo's just gorgeous, and other than a seemingly persistent wind factor, I wouldn't mind if they keep the race there a few more years.

Hope to visit your waters someday.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Brilliant result and fantastic pictures -well done Barbara =D>

If the weather here was a bit more like that I would be inspired to try OTW :wink:
commodoreann
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by commodoreann »

Barbara,

Your sharing your experience at the regatta is exceptional. I especially enjoyed the photos of the regatta.
I have yet to row on the water because we race our sailboat on weekends and I don't wake up early as most teams around here train at 5:30 am. #-o Well, maybe some day I will. Keep up the good work. =D>

Ann :fsbgrin:
I am not getting older, just better. (not bad for a 74 year young lady)
CRASH B silver medal 65-69 lwt 2016
33 million lifetime meters plus and counting......(05/12/20)
5 million season 4/07/11
actually 5.301,526 4/30/11
#44 on the C2 board
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by plummy »

Thoroughly enjoyed the photos and many congrats on your result ladies - super stuff indeed.

I have all the admiration in the world for anyone getting into one of those ridiculously unstable, skinny scull things that are impossible to row (says he who tried in vain for 2 hours and was worse at the end than at the beginning - and I was BAD at the beginning!)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
sander
Free Spirit

Post by sander »

I enjoyed the regatta reports in this thread, so may I be so impertinent to post my own here. This time, dear audience, we are moving about 6000 miles / 10000 kms east from the previous race report, to the lovely South Bohemian town of Trebon, where the Czech Open National Masters Championships were held.

Friday - the long way to Trebon

Meetings in Brussels in the morning. Departed to the airport early, but about an hour before the scheduled departure time of 4pm, I received a message that my flight was canceled. I sprinted to the information desk and managed to be the first there and got a seat on the 8pm plane. Called Romana who was supposed to pick me up in Prague that I would be arriving at 9:15pm, moved to a quiet part of the terminal and did some work.

Arrived at the gate at 7pm to collect my boarding pass, only to discover that the flight was delayed to 11pm. Called Romana that she should drive straight to Trebon and ordered a taxi for myself.

The flight departed at 00:15 and arrived in Prague at 1:15. I was in the taxi at 1:30 and arrived in Trebon at 3:30. Went to bed immediately.

Saturday

Single

My singles race was scheduled for 11am, but I had to take some reserve time to get the boat off the trailer and mount on the wing rigger. So after 3.5 hours of sleep I got up at 7:30.

The weather forecast was a nice and sunny 33C (91F), and it turned out to be exactly that. Luckily there was a slight breeze (headwind) to make it a bit more bearable.

Boat was found easily and rigged in no-time, so I had some time to sit in the shade and relax before my race warming up. I launched just 15 before the start to avoid sitting around too long in the sun.

These races are the Czech Open Masters, and they work the same way the Masters Worlds and Euromasters are organized. If there are more participants in one category than the nr of lanes, there are two or more races, and thus also two or more Czech Champions. That's OK. So for singles B, there were 2 races of 4 participants. So I had to beat just one guy to at least get a medal. The problem was that my race consisted of only fast guys, while the other race had one fast guy and 3 slow ones ...

I stroked 37spm for the first 10 strokes out of the start, then calmed down to 34spm. All four boats came out of the start in one line. After about 300m I was last, half a length behind the nr 3, and about one length behind the leader. At the 500m mark I took up the rate to 35spm and added a bit more pressure. I passed one boat and was thus rowing in bronze position.

Unfortunately, with 250m to go the guy passed me. I raised the stroke rate and tried to pass him again, but alas, I came in fourth position.

3:50 in headwind. This was probably the maximum I could do.

My club mate who rowed in the other singles B race rowed a 4:09 and got bronze, because the Lodni Sporty Brno guy managed to flip his single with 100m to go (the "X" mark on the results below). Comparing my times with the A and C rowers, I am pretty happy with the results. I would have been second in those races. I didn't get a medal, but I raced in the strong race that got me the best time I was capable of.

I beat my own club's participants by 20 and 30 seconds, respectively. :-D

Quad

In the afternoon we rowed the quad. I have published a few blog posts about our trainings in the quad, where I wrote that we are not fast enough to win. The problem is that we don't rate up very well without "checking" the boat. There was only one race in our category, actually a combined A-C categories race, and we were up against an experienced crew from Pardubice (C), Blesk (A), Ostrava (A), a very strong combination of Prague clubs Bohemians, Slavia, Dukla (A) and a South Bohemian combination of Trebon+Jindrichuv Hradec (B). On paper we should be happy with a 4th place.

I like the pre start in the eight and quad. There are so many people on the water. Six boats, 24 guys eager to win. Everybody is nervous. In a singles race it's just a couple of guys who are friends and like to measure forces. With quads and eights, there is a completely different atmosphere. This being the hottest part of the day, at 3pm, the heat also played its part. I was very curious how we would fare but with low expectations. I turned around and did a last explanation of the race strategy to the three guys behind me. "We cannot win this by rating up. We do 10 strong strokes out of the start, then we go down and do long strokes. Please all concentrate very well, especially at the start because the GO follows very fast after the READY, all these other crews will start on the edge of the allowable, and the starter won't call us back."

Aligning at the start took forever. We were drifting a bit in the head/cross wind. We were called to move up a little, we were not entirely ready when the started said GO and we were the last out of the starting position.

Luckily for us, we were called back.

We quickly realigned, and at the second attempt we were out of the starting block roughly at the same time as the other boats. Still, at the moment of rating down to 34spm, we were in last position, but not far behind.

It took us 10 concentrate, long strokes to move to first. We do have the power in the boat.

So there we were. Leading the pack, with Pardubice half a length behind us, and the others falling behind by a length or more. Interesting.

We were still leading at 500m to go but all the boats were very close, and basically any boat could still win. And Pardubice were really trying hard. I kept the rate at 34spm, didn't dare to go up.

With the grand stand in sight, 200m to go, Pardubice were pushing into us. I shouted "go" and we increased pressure. Stroke rate followed slightly (35-36spm).

I was feeling my singles race very painfully in my legs.

Vision changed from color to monochrome, and tunnel vision.

But we won. Unexpectedly. Yay! Champion of the Czech Republic, and a second very exciting race to be part of. Also the first time we rowed so well together in this crew. Well, we trained together 4 times, out of which two times we had to use a reserve because of business trips.

Other

Romana rowed a gold medal in the eight. Where I joined young guys to row an "A" quad, she joined older ladies and ended up winning the "D" eight. They basically won by showing up because they came second in a race consisting of one E category, one G category and one D category. First they thought they wouldn't be getting the medal as they had been beaten by an older boat, but in the end of the day they did get a gold medal. I teased her a bit with that.

Almost immediately after her eights race, Romana had to launch in a double, with a lady from Usti. They had never rowed together. They came in third place in a combined A/B race, after Masatova/Tomastikova, two Masters B ladies who are also starting in the international elite races this season, and a young A crew. So a well deserved silver medal in the B 2x.

In the evening we had a very nice dinner with the guys from my singles race, plus some additional rowers.

Sunday

Mix Double

Finally I could sleep in! I woke up at eight o'clock, which is very very late for me. My only race would be the mix double with Romana, at 14:10.

The weather was a bit warmer than on Saturday, and for a change there was no wind at all.

We were scheduled to row 6 boats in the mix B 2x, but only 4 showed up at the start. Still, a tough race to row. There was the couple Dekanovsky/Dekanovska (married), then the couple Nevrala/Vecerova (living together), then Tockstein/Chovanakova (status unknown). You can imagine the pressure. This is the race that is going to be analysed on the marital couch. Also, it was a partial repeat of the line up of a year ago, the race which ended in a four boat dead heat!

Romana was still moving the boat on the starter's instructions when he suddenly shouted "READY - GO" but we managed a pretty good start anyway.

The first 500m was pure bliss. Romana and I rowed very well together and the 35spm felt like a very relaxed 20spm.

A quick glance sideways showed that the Dekanovsky's and Nevrala/Vecerova were rowing at exactly the same line. Tockstein/Chovanakova were falling behind a little.

The 500m mark was passed with three boats on a line.

Now it was waiting for the first crew to be able to open the hurt box. I didn't raise the stroke rate. 35spm is good enough. But I did increase the pressure a bit.

Now both we and the Dekanovsky's were losing a bit on Nevrala/Vecerova.

I decided it was time to go, stopped looking at the competitors and started the final sprint. We easily rated up to 37-38spm, and so (I think) did the Dekanovsky's next to us.

Again, just as a year a go, it looked like a dead heat. Nobody knew who had won, until they called Nevrala/Vecerova the winner, Dekanovsky couple second and we were third.

We did start the sprint a bit too late. Looking at how exhausted the winning double was, I think we would have had a good chance if I had started 10-15 strokes earlier. Anyway, a good bronze medal.

Other

Romana came 4th in a combined C/D quad race. She stroked the same quad I had won in the day before, and that our daughter, so we joked that that stroke seat is reserved for our family.

As my car air conditioning has not been repaired because of laziness/lack of time of the car owner, we decided to have a dinner in Trebon and wait for the cooler evening to drive home.

Happy after a hot weekend of racing, with a well deserved beer:

It was still hot during the drive, and Romana urged me to get the air conditioning repaired. I told her I would do it when I take the car for the bi-annual technical check in August. She checked my car papers and told me I am already 5 weeks driving in a car without valid papers. :oops:

Guess what I was doing this morning?

Well at least I will have a repaired air conditioning for the trip to Euromasters Munich, coming Friday.

Training Blog: http://blog.rowsandall.com/
Free Data and Analysis. For Rowers. By Rowers: http://rowsandall.com
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Sander - that is wonderful -- what a great race writeup. I like your comparison between the start of a singles race versus a quad race... so true. This is my favorite line, regarding the mixed doubles: "You can imagine the pressure. This is the race that is going to be analysed on the marital couch." :lol: :lol:

Congratulations on your results and, importantly, the good times had by all.

Good luck in the next races!

p.s. Thanks Alan, Ann & Plummy. Great words to hear from my erg heroes/heroine.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Sander,

Congratulations on a great weekend of racing. The finish on the mixed double was so close! All within a second of each other.

Had the other competitors put in as many events as you and Romana?

How many races did each of you do all together?
sander
Free Spirit

Post by sander »

gregsmith01748 wrote:Sander,

Congratulations on a great weekend of racing. The finish on the mixed double was so close! All within a second of each other.

Had the other competitors put in as many events as you and Romana?

How many races did each of you do all together?
The winners did race quite a lot. We actually spent some time with Karel Nevrala before the race and he admitted being tired already. The Dekanovsky's started only the mix double race, and had a week of training camp before the races. We were actually expecting them to be better and win.

Training Blog: http://blog.rowsandall.com/
Free Data and Analysis. For Rowers. By Rowers: http://rowsandall.com