OTW results

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

gregsmith01748
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: OTW results

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Last OTW race of the year for me this past Saturday. It was the Merrimack Chase. A little regatta, only 150 or so boats entered and only 4 guys in my event, the men's 50-59 Single.

Like other races this fall, there was a pretty stiff headwind, with gusts up to nearly 25 mph, which slowed down everyone.

The wind kicked up a lot of chop, especially in the first mile of the 2.8 mile course. Here is me hacking off the top of a particularly large wave.

Here's a view of the course I took. I added about 50 to 80 meters of extra rowing by not heading directly to the right arch of the bridge, and swinging a bit too wide around the big turn.

Head races are run in a time trial format, so they start you onto the course at about 20 second intervals. I had the first start slot, so I could see the rest of the guys in my event start behind me. In this case, that means I could all but one of them drop rapidly astern. One guy seemed like he was hanging on and at times closing the gap, but he was also steering even worse than I was, and I ended up beating him by a minute. That made me the big winner of this little race.

Even though I didn't have anyone to chase, I worked pretty hard. Here's my HR plot.

The whole race took about 21:30, so it is basically like a 6K time trial. If I compare my HR in this race to a 6K TT, my HR shot up quicker and plateaued in the race, I think because I was working into the headwind.

If you want to read more about it. Jump to: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/ ... ase-i-won/

If you want to see me trying to behead the local fishes, the videos are here: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/ ... se-videos/

With this minor victory, I packed away my boat for the winter, and set my sights on the CRASH-Bs.

The OTW season results:
Festival Sprints: 1K: 5th of 9, 2K Open: 7th of 11
Cromwell Cup (1K sprint): 2nd of 8 (missed winning by 0.783 seconds!)
US Masters National Head race (6K head race): 3rd of 4
Lake Quinsigamond Snake Race (4K head race): 2nd of 12
Head of the Charles (4.8K head race): 25th of 59
Merrimack Chase (4.2K head race): 1st of 4

I definitely finished better than I started. I am really pleased by the way the last 3 races went.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Congratulations Greg. =D> =D> =D> Great result and great write up.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Thanks Paul!
valgozi
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by valgozi »

sander wrote: You have to tell us about your race. There is a thread on OTW results, so looking forward to read your post there. =D> =D>
As requested by Sander a little write up from me about my home Head Race from Saturday - Masters of River Avon and Senior Head - http://www.erc.club/wp-content/uploads/ ... S-HEAD.jpg

Evesham is a town situated in the meander of the River Avon. Our club is near the town bridge and the other side of this is a weir which stops us rowing any further upstream unless we navigate a lock. We have 4.5km of rowing down stream to the next lock and weir. If we navigated a few locks we could row all the way to Shakespeare's birth place of Stratford-Upon-Avon or the other way to where the River Avon finishes and joins with the River Severn at Tewkesbury.

The Senior Head takes place over 4k of the river upstream. Rolling starts, boats going off every 30 seconds. Unfortunately this year the weather was again not kind and due to a strong cross head wind the course was shortened by 250-300m so that boats didn't get too close to the weir.
Here is a good picture of the course
The course is 3 long straights and one short. There are a number of interesting corners. There is a nice tricky 'S' bend almost exactly half way.

This is the first time the Senior Head race had taken place since 2011. Two of the previous years had to be cancelled due to high river levels, something quite common in November in the UK. The third cancellation was due to works going on to replace/repair the main road bridge into the town which the head races under. I was just taking part in my learn to row course back in 2011 so I had never actually raced in this race, although I have practiced the course many times. With Strava segments set up recently we have managed to time ourselves over these to see how we compare to course records.

Because of all the previous cancellations entry numbers were lower than normal just 68 in total between two divisions. I was racing in the morning division with almost 40 other boats. I was racing up a level at IM2 decision of the club not my own against a sculler from the Poole who used to row for our club as a junior I think he is a few years younger than myself so could have been rowing for quite sometime. He was also rowing in an IM1 single later on in the day so up another level again.

Due to inflexibility of the British entry system he was racing in the IM1 both in the morning in the draw and IM2 boat in the afternoon. Opposite to his competition. However he quite wisely swapped his numbers around on the day and so raced in the correct divisions although was not starting next to me instead about 6/7 places in front. A little annoying as there was no way to compete with him on the course, but this did leave me to race my own race.

It's a nice 4k warm up to the start which I let me focus on building my stroke up over the first 1k then putting about 3 pushes of ten strokes of race pace mixed in with gentle rowing, a bit of square blades too just to try and get a little confidence.

Sat at the start I had a few of the scullers asking about any lines to take on corners, I helped them out by letting on to the entry to the 'S' bends. I wonder if this may have helped them or not.

I had two Women's IM2 Pairs (these were J18 girls) starting in front of me with Mx doubles in front of them. Behind I had Masters singles F1x and then Masters C1x's. Setting off on the rolling start I always look down and see splits that are much too fast to maintain I now try and release the pressure on the legs and keep the rate there. It was nice to see I was ticking along at 28/29 SPM even though I was rowing into a decent head wind. The masters F1x behind me seemed to move a little closer on me in the first 250m but by 500m it looked like he was maybe further back than 30seconds he must also like a fast start. This is the last I really noticed of the boats behind as they didn't really catch me at all.

I was worried about catching the first boat (Boat 29) in front coming into the 'S' bend (where overtaking is not allowed) however when checking my position coming towards only the first corner I found myself very close only a few lengths back so I knew I had this corner and the next short straight. to get a head. As the girls were from Evesham I decided to go around the outside of them first thought was to barge them off of the racing line but sometimes when I take the racing line around the corner I cut it a little close and catch the odd over hanging branch. The river is narrow at Evesham but you could probably get 4 boats abreast so not as narrow as a canal. Because of this the river stream may actually be a little slower out wide at this part of the river although it was definitely windier. Coming off of the corner I was able to pull in in front of the WIM2 2- back on to the racing line near the bank and so sheltered more from the wind.

Approaching a railway bridge that has two arches you get a very strong head wind, so strong it is difficult to move your arms away. I was glad this only seemed to last for a few strokes. Checking my line after this bridge so I could line myself up nicely for the start of the S Bends I could see the next WIM 2- (Boat 28), gladly they were far enough ahead that I would not catch them in the no overtaking area. On the last corner of the bend the river becomes quite wide and so over taking is then allowed I was within a few lengths of the WIM2 2- at this point but not close enough to start overtaking. I had been told to row on what is the wrong side of the river (not allowed in training) along this next straight (its about 700m long) as its more sheltered from the wind. I had a few issues with having to check my line a little more along here the map in my head isn't quite a full as the other bank. One point I had to stop for a stroke because of a sticking out branch, I saw my stroke rate drop to 25-26 along here at times because of course adjustments. The girls followed the river on the other side. When the wind is coming from the south (which it was) this straight has the strongest wind of the course about half way down it normally almost stops you, you really feel it in your back. At the half way point of the straight there didn't seem to be too much wind, at this point I also seemed to fly past the WIM2-. It seems staying on the near bank did eventually have its benefits.

I took a good line around the next corner its a lot of work on the left leg second long corner in a row on the left leg so you do start to feel it. Looking around for the next corner which is again left leg I was surprised to see another boat. I wanted to cut the next corner so I had to move them off of the apex. A lot of left leg to stay away from them at a point where my leg was very tired I was very close to the bank but there was room for both of us I actually went past this boat (Boat 26) very quickly.

Looking down it was nice to see I was at 29SPM again sometimes hitting 30. This next section in practice is hard to push on but I think I gave it a good go. Although there are small bends its really 1k of straight from this point in now. A marshal told me to stay on port side of the river along here I am not sure why as again its the wrong side. I didn't bother looking to see why as this part of the river is easy to steer no branches or anything really sticking out. I did cut the last little corner quite tight so did take a look coming towards the club house and the finish a few boats around but what I was looking at really didn't sink in too much just a little correction at this point for the fastest line to the finish. Wavey along here because its a tail wind but against the stream quite bouncy but with all the cheers from people on the bank I didn't notice it too much. It was nice to here a bell but knowing I hadn't past the line I knew this was another boat I was catching (boat 27) then a few more seconds and the bell for me passing the line. I was done. Quite a nice feeling after legs hurting, lungs hurting a little bit of sick feeling. This is about my maximum before I lose technique so I was very happy with the row.

Results - I didn't win, the other guy was 29 seconds quicker. I knew he was going to be good he went on to get a quicker time in the afternoon to win IM1 as well. Being IM3 I actually would have been beaten in this as well as the quickest sculler of the day won in this. I was 30th (weird cause that was my race number too) out of the 68 crews. Glad to see I was over the chick line and beat all the ladies crews racing, also looks like I beat all the mixed boats too. Full results here - http://www.erc.club/wp-content/uploads/ ... r-2015.pdf

Happy with my race and I think it went as well as it could (Total distance appears to be 3.7km).

Hopefully the Head will have some better luck over the next few years and not get cancelled. Entries should then build off of the back of it being held successfully this year.
Last edited by valgozi on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sander
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by sander »

Thanks Richard. I like reading race reports. This one was great. Good detail.
If my business travel ever goes to Tewkesbury (which is a possibility as we have a site there) I will let you know.

Training Blog: http://blog.rowsandall.com/
Free Data and Analysis. For Rowers. By Rowers: http://rowsandall.com
valgozi

Post by valgozi »

sander wrote:Thanks Richard. I like reading race reports. This one was great. Good detail.
If my business travel ever goes to Tewkesbury (which is a possibility as we have a site there) I will let you know.
Yes definitely do.
gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Richard: Thanks for sharing your write up about your race. Both the s-turn and that big bend at the end look like pretty challenging features for a head race. It's always a good race when you can be the passer instead of the passee! It's also good to feel like you've given it everything that you've got in a race. From your understated "feeling a little sick", it sounds like you put in your best effort.

I hope you get increased entries for the event next year. You deserve to have some folks in your classification to beat!
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by CamiCrew »

Thanks for sharing, Richard. Sounds like you did well. Congratulations!

Interesting that they give you an overall event placement among the mix of boat types, ages and genders. Have not seen that at least at our west coast US head races. We do have the Rebellion - a tournament style elimination race for singles, doubles, pairs where one boat wins overall on points. Not a head race though, different thing altogether.

I enjoyed the info on your venue -- sounds cool. Until the next one!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
valgozi

Post by valgozi »

gregsmith01748 wrote: Both the s-turn and that big bend at the end look like pretty challenging features for a head race. It's always a good race when you can be the passer instead of the passee!
The S Bend means that 8's can't enter, as at full speed I do not think they'd ever get through them. This restricts entries a little but before Christmas in the UK most Head Races are small boats and then in the New Year its all about the big boats. It takes a bit of practice to get through at speed is fun to practice. Used to scare me but doesn't any more, breaks the piece up nicely now although when past it you have the realization that you are only half way.

It was fun passing, bit different to pairs head in London in October where we were out classed and had plenty passing us :(
CamiCrew wrote: Interesting that they give you an overall event placement among the mix of boat types, ages and genders. Have not seen that at least at our west coast US head races.
They do separate the types of boats/events out too and then you get a medal if you are the fastest one - http://www.erc.club/wp-content/uploads/ ... r-2015.pdf

I think the UK entry system does the list by time and events automatically so both are published.
sander
Free Spirit

Post by sander »

The season has started again! I rowed the Czech Long Distance Championships last Saturday and I didn't finish last. Read more about it here: https://rowsandall.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... -race-day/

zootMutant
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

That's a very nice write-up! Thanks Sander!
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Is anyone willing to critique on-water technique?

I have a number of issues I'm working on for myself (endless list actually :) ) and I'll race a 5k in this 2x lineup soon. We only have a limited number of sessions to iron out kinks so I'd like feedback if possible. We've only been out as a combination a couple times.

[Edit: Link removed]

The first clip is not helpful - too slow, too brief. The second has more footage.

I'm up front in 2 seat and I see lots I'm doing wrong, but don't want to influence other answers.

Thank you!
Last edited by CamiCrew on Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
zootMutant
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

CamiCrew wrote:I'm up front in 2 seat and I see lots I'm doing wrong, but don't want to influence other answers.

Thank you!
Unfortunately, I know nothing about technique, so the only thing I see wrong is that the reservoir is down about 30'! :shock:
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Yes. Scary situation. Estimates I've seen are that it's down more than double that number of vertical feet. And will be dry in 4 years if the drought keeps up. :(
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Barbara, your rowing technique (yours and your team mate's) looks rather nice. Since you've asked for it, some minor things that crossed my mind:

- you're a bit slow at the catch, the reason being that your blades are a bit far away from the water when you square them.
- at the end of the drive your "hands away" could also be quicker. The blades make a little rest before they start moving to catch position.
- I do like your posture, more than your team mate's to be honest. She's hunching her back a bit and falling over the inner lever at the end of the drive, resulting in the boat pitching a bit.

But that's all high-level mouning, overall it's looking really good. Nice boat by the way, which make is it? And is that a pink stroke coach? :D
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by plummy »

Looked great to me - but given my total and utter inability to use two oars at the same time and receiving the school report from Peter of "suggest you take up another sport and don't ever darken my door again when it comes to sculling" - may not carry much weight.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Barbara,

Your technique is so much better than mine that I hesitate to say anything. And frankly to find any real ideas of things to work on required me to slow the video down to 1/4 speed. Once I did that, I saw two things that you might want to work on.

- There is a little bit of a pause at the catch that is making you miss up to 6" at the catch on some, but not all strokes. I don't see how this is impacting speed much because you are making such a small (and symmetrical) splash at the catch, so you haven't started driving too early.

- Your blade depth starts quite deep at the catch and gets progressively more shallow as the stroke progresses to the finish. The last couple of feet of the stroke, your blade is quite exposed. Trying to work on keeping your blade buried all the way to the finish might get a bit more out of the back end of the stroke.

I grabbed two frames from the video of a single stroke, one right after the catch, and the other at the beginning of your arm draw to illustrate what I mean.

In the top picture right after the catch, the oars are buried about halfway up the shaft, and your hands are nearly at shoulder level. In the bottom picture, the top half of the blade is exposed, but your arms are only about halfway flexed. I marked your hand height with the blue line. The vertical line is the same length in both pictures, so you can see that your hands have come down a fair amount since the catch, maybe 6" or so.

I recognize this because I do it myself! Probably a lot worse than what you are doing. The only drills that seem to help me with it rowing with my hands on the looms instead of the handles, so that I have to follow the handle height that the oars "want" naturally.
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

plummy wrote:and receiving the school report from Peter of "suggest you take up another sport and don't ever darken my door again when it comes to sculling"
Ahem, I never said that :shock:
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

plummy

Post by plummy »

Grobi wrote:
plummy wrote:and receiving the school report from Peter of "suggest you take up another sport and don't ever darken my door again when it comes to sculling"
Ahem, I never said that :shock:
I know (but it must have been what you were thinking :wink: )
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Grobi wrote:Barbara, your rowing technique (yours and your team mate's) looks rather nice.
Thank you, Peter. Rowing this year in the 2x (mostly w/Lori in the empacher) has started to feel different, better, like the boat has become this amazingly stable platform -- a new level opening up, I hope. The challenge is how to gain speed and a boat moving advantage... we need at least 5 sec/500m (a LOT) so also thank you for:
Grobi wrote:- you're a bit slow at the catch, the reason being that your blades are a bit far away from the water when you square them.
- at the end of the drive your "hands away" could also be quicker. The blades make a little rest before they start moving to catch position.
Yes, I hear these 2 often - along with "sit up taller, open up" so I appreciate your note on posture. I used to sky terribly at the catch, and it's frustrating how noticeable it still is. :x I wondered if I might be rigged high - but I think it's more in my hand level... as Greg highlighted. Hands away at the release I also struggle with -- sometimes I'm told I'm too fast, sometimes too slow - and you're right that pause shouldn't be there.
Grobi wrote:Nice boat by the way, which make is it? And is that a pink stroke coach? :D
It's what Greg rows - a FluidDesign. Exciting boats but (my opinion) quite fragile for the beating they take as daily Club boats. The stroke coach is a black NK GPS, and yes it's in a hot pink case... who could resist? :D

Hi Greg! I'm willing to bet your technique is far better than you would judge it :fswink:
Greg wrote:- There is a little bit of a pause at the catch that is making you miss up to 6" at the catch on some, but not all strokes. I don't see how this is impacting speed much because you are making such a small (and symmetrical) splash at the catch, so you haven't started driving too early.

Good to hear the key words not 'impacting speed much' and that the drive is timed OK.
Greg wrote:- Your blade depth starts quite deep at the catch and gets progressively more shallow as the stroke progresses to the finish. The last couple of feet of the stroke, your blade is quite exposed. Trying to work on keeping your blade buried all the way to the finish might get a bit more out of the back end of the stroke.
This and your remaining analysis is a revelation, thank you - I do wash out at the finish. What initially caught my eye besides the skying were my hands coming into the release - wrists bent, elbows down, not good. What you're saying is that the 6" drop is changing the blade height, which does impact speed. You marked up my teammate -- wasn't sure if that was intentional (I'm in black in the stern) but it doesn't matter because the height differential point would be the same.

The drill you mention -- how far down off the handles do you grasp? Does this cause the elbows to stay more lifted?

The other thing I was planning to work on in this combo is opening the bodies together. I feel I might be opening earlier than she is, and I'm working very hard to hold the legs down longer and getting the body over before lifting the knees.

So much to think about in just a few words from both of you -- much appreciated -- you can bet I'll be "hearing" you both in my head tomorrow morning at 6:30!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Sorry I marked up your teammate! When I do the drill, I put my hands on the beginning of the fat part of the oar shaft.
sander
Free Spirit

Post by sander »

Another head race done (and won): http://blog.rowsandall.com/2016/10/09/h ... from-1934/

I notice my last entry in this thread is from April. This season I rowed

April: Horin Head race, Brno spring regatta
May: Slovak Open, Hodonin Regatta
June: Primatorky (Prague), Morava (Brno)
July: Czech Open, Munich Euromasters
August: Trebon, Breclav
September: Brandys
October: Hradiste head race

Twelve races this year. More than ever. And quite happy with the results. OTW race season is now over and I will start to focus more on the erg as the weather is getting worse and the days are getting shorter.

Here are a few recent race blogs:
http://blog.rowsandall.com/2016/09/12/o ... l-regatta/
http://blog.rowsandall.com/2016/08/29/s ... ng-racing/
http://blog.rowsandall.com/2016/08/29/s ... and-eight/
http://blog.rowsandall.com/2016/08/22/s ... rs-mix-2x/
http://blog.rowsandall.com/2016/08/22/s ... -race-day/
http://blog.rowsandall.com/2016/08/02/s ... ving-home/
http://blog.rowsandall.com/2016/08/01/saturday-win/
http://blog.rowsandall.com/2016/08/01/f ... upporting/

Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Catching up on this thread again - I love watching the videos, short of meeting everyone, they are a great way of bringing you all to life. You are a stout - hearted group of people. =D>

Sander for some reason, I couldn't make your video work, no doubt a fault at my end. :fsbgrin:

Barbara, what a pleasure to see you rowing and good luck with the competition. :D

Jill :)
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Glad you enjoyed them Jill - bit of a dilemma for me - I'm not comfortable sharing too much on open forums, but also felt opinions here would be valuable (& they were).

Sander your race reports are so great! We recently had a potluck brunch for a friend who participated in World Masters in Copenhagen. Fascinating. He presented photos plus the Excel file with all his travel costs -- that last put a damper on the idea I could run off & race that event in Bled next year... :(

Congrats on a successful season! =D>
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
sander
Free Spirit

Post by sander »

Thanks for the nice words. I am lucky to live in a part of the world with a lot of Worlds Masters. Poznan, Duisburg, Hazewinkel, Vienna, Varese all were within 1000km of driving. And Bled will be even closer.