What's it like at a race?

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

I am hoping to race next February at DIRC (Denver Indoor Rowing Championships), probably at a half-marathon distance, but I'm having trouble visualizing the whole process. :oops:

1. Can you have support? Like a cox standing next to you cheering you on and telling you to row faster (or slower)? Or are you all by yourself? :cry:

2. On a long row, say half-marathon or full marathon, does somebody hand you food and water? Or do you just lay all that stuff on the floor next to you? :roll:

3. Can you see The Big Board? Or is that behind you? And how does it work if different races are being run at the same time? Say half-marathon and 60-min? :-k

4. What does your display show? Can you switch the display to any screen you want? Does it show the rower in front of you and behind you? Does it show your splits? Their splits? Your expected finish time? How much money you're going to win? [-X

5. Are there separate machines to warm up on? Or do you warm up on the machine you're going to race on? Or do you have to run outside in the snow? [-o<

6. How much time is there between heats? :-?

7. What does the display show just before the race starts? :?:

8. What happens if you're late? (stuck in the bathroom?) :oops:

9. If my wife is there with me, is there anything for her to do? (Take pictures? Chat up the gold medalist from the previous heat?) [-X

10. Are the machines all in good condition? Or are they more like the machines you find at the local gym? :mrgreen:

11. What's the temperature like? (I'm always overheating when I row and have a fan blowing directly on me.) :wink:

12. Can I bring a fan? Would there be any place to plug it in? :-k

13. Leading up to the race, should I practice without a fan? :idea:

14. Denver is at 5,280 feet above sea level. How many days (weeks) would I need to acclimatize? Even if I were acclimatized would my power still be less at elevation? Anybody know how much? (So I can set some kind of pace.) =P~

15. If I lose, do they dump me in the canal? :shock:

I guess that will do for a start... thanks. :lol:
billwright
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: What's it like at a race?

Post by billwright »

Postby zootMutant » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:06 am
I am hoping to race next February at DIRC (Denver Indoor Rowing Championships), probably at a half-marathon distance, but I'm having trouble visualizing the whole process. :oops:

1. Can you have support? Like a cox standing next to you cheering you on and telling you to row faster (or slower)? Or are you all by yourself? :cry:

Some venues allow a cox to sit behind you - best check with the organisers

2. On a long row, say half-marathon or full marathon, does somebody hand you food and water? Or do you just lay all that stuff on the floor next to you? :roll:

Generally, people have their refreshments alongside and help themselves, but I've seen nothing in the rules that says you can't be handed a water bottle of somesuch.

3. Can you see The Big Board? Or is that behind you? And how does it work if different races are being run at the same time? Say half-marathon and 60-min? :-k

At the Crash B's, you may be side on to the big screen but generally the arrangement is that you're facing it. I've never seen two races simultaneously so I can't comment on that.

4. What does your display show? Can you switch the display to any screen you want? Does it show the rower in front of you and behind you? Does it show your splits? Their splits? Your expected finish time? How much money you're going to win? [-X

Monitor shows you split, distance to go and the your position in the race with the leader, second place and by hoe much you're beating them (or they're beating you :lol: ). That's from memory - you'll need to check that out.

5. Are there separate machines to warm up on? Or do you warm up on the machine you're going to race on? Or do you have to run outside in the snow? [-o<

Normally there will be a bank of warm up machines and you will have time to sit on your race machine adjust the DF and have a final couple of minutes contemplation rowing. :D

6. How much time is there between heats? :-?

There is normally time enough for the activities as per my comments at 5.

7. What does the display show just before the race starts? :?:

You'll get a warning to cease all movement from the loud speaker. On the monitor it will read "Sit Ready" - "Row"

8. What happens if you're late? (stuck in the bathroom?) :oops:

If the the organisers are indulgent they'll slot you in elsewhere but otherwise - next year! :lol:

9. If my wife is there with me, is there anything for her to do? (Take pictures? Chat up the gold medalist from the previous heat?) [-X

Enter the Ladies Race. :lol:

10. Are the machines all in good condition? Or are they more like the machines you find at the local gym? :mrgreen:

Good race organisers will have carried out some maintenance on all the race machines but don't count on it. :lol:

11. What's the temperature like? (I'm always overheating when I row and have a fan blowing directly on me.) :wink:

This is always a problem. The temperature tends to build in these venues.

12. Can I bring a fan? Would there be any place to plug it in? :-k

I doubt it unless for a marathon in a small venue. The prospect of cables snaking all over with maybe dodgy electrical appliances would have the ambulance chasers rubbing their hands with glee. :lol:

13. Leading up to the race, should I practice without a fan? :idea:

Yes - but check it out with the organisers. You never know your luck.

14. Denver is at 5,280 feet above sea level. How many days (weeks) would I need to acclimatize? Even if I were acclimatized would my power still be less at elevation? Anybody know how much? (So I can set some kind of pace.) =P~

From my experience of mountaineering, I would advise that you acclimatize for as long as you can afford - but it's teh perennial question: "How long is a piece of string". Certainly at least a week and in that week you will discover your pace. How long you take to settle will depend on what elevation you normally live at

15. If I lose, do they dump me in the canal? :shock:

Only on request. :lol:

I guess that will do for a start... thanks. :lol:

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
Paul Victory
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

billwright wrote: 4. What does your display show? Can you switch the display to any screen you want? Does it show the rower in front of you and behind you? Does it show your splits? Their splits? Your expected finish time? How much money you're going to win? [-X

Monitor shows you split, distance to go and the your position in the race with the leader, second place and by hoe much you're beating them (or they're beating you :lol: ). That's from memory - you'll need to check that out.
For those of us who (unlike Bill) are not usually winning our races, it shows how many meters you are behind the leader, how many meters behind the person immediately in front of you and how far you are ahead of the person immediately behind you. I think it may also show second place.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

I think Bill has pretty much nailed it with his response.

HM races are pretty rare so all the questions relating to help/food/fans are all ones for the organisers of the specific race meet.

C2 have some basic race advice here too:

http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/r ... ace-advice

I was half tempted to consider this event until you mentioned the altitude. :shock: :~c
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Thanks a bunch guys! 8)

That helps quite a bit. I get very anxious when I'm around a lot of people, and knowing what to expect will help!

I am hoping that having a specific goal for a specific date will help me stay focused on my training and I'll stick with it this time. :oops:

Dave - thanks for the web link. That page has a link to another page which describes what information the PM4 monitor displays.
http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/r ... ce-display
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Yes, quite understandable that you are nervous before your first race, Zoot :!: Good thing to search for information, so that you will have some idea of what to expect :!: :D

And some fine answers and links. I would just mention a few things. In Denmark the big screen is normally behind the ergers, so that the crowd in front can see both the ergers and the big screen. Secondly, if you have access to a PM4 you can practice race starts - just select Games and Set up a race. That is good way to get used to the sequence: sit ready - attention - ROW :!: :D Of course, a fast start is not all important on a distance like the HM... Good luck with your race, Zoot - and most important: Have fun :!: :D :D

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Thanks Erik - more great advice! :fsbgrin:
(I thought I had seen some videos with the big board behind the rowers - couldn't remember where.) :-k
Liefcat wrote:Of course, a fast start is not all important on a distance like the HM...
Especially at my pace! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stan
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Not much to add to Bills advice. I wish you the best of fortune Zoot.
I dont think you need worry too much about warmups for a HM.
I am sure your wife will find the local shops *grins*
pb times
zootMutant

Post by zootMutant »

Thanks Stan!

My wife is definitely not the shopping type. She is much more the rowing type, but the thought of exercising without the chance of getting wet horrifies her. Swimming, canoeing, kayaking, surfing, sailing, scuba diving, water skiing, and wind surfing would all be okay. (Heck, the water can even be frozen - e.g., skiing or ice skating.) Rowing on an erg would not.

I think if I could get her started, though, she'd be good at it.

Cheers,