Another 24!

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

AlanS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: Another 24!

Post by AlanS »

Great effort, Dave. Well done on achieving what you did, even if it wasn't what you wanted. :fssmile:

Have you ever looked into the 100,000m records?
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

AlanS wrote:Great effort, Dave. Well done on achieving what you did, even if it wasn't what you wanted. :fssmile:

Have you ever looked into the 100,000m records?
Thanks Alan - much appreciated. I'm finding it difficult to put a positive spin on this but maybe the way to look at it is this...
Maybe other people's (as well as my own) expectations are now so high, that I consider rowing only 113km in 10.5 hours (and even that paced/rested to last for 24 hours) - as a bit of a disaster. That's not far off 3 back to back marathons from a more or less 50 year old, 70kg, part time "athlete".

I don't mean that to come over as arrogant in any way but I think because I've done a couple of solo and a couple of tandem 24's, it's easy to assume that you can turn up and knock one out at will. There are a multitude of things that have to be "right" to win through and it's only as strong as the weakest link. Somewhere in this weekend's efforts I think there were 3~4 weak links (insufficient prep time, having to spend to much "energy" problem solving ahead of the event (e.g. an hour immediately before starting just trying to get the internet to work), maybe food/sustinance choices, temperature, heck - I even forgot to take my New Grip super padded "gloves").

I'm still shattered and have a muzzy head right now so may be rambling so I'm not sure about many things other than being disappointed in my effort.

Re the 100k - er, yes,I have and one tiny positive is that the first 8~9 hours were decent and although there were rests, if you take them out and look at the 50+ BR, things get interesting for May.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Scoop
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Scoop »

Well done Plummy, for even attempting it.

I think that it shows just how mentally and physically punishing these ultras are if a past master can come unstuck. Just a FM has had me in fits of apoplexy so attempting about 6 back to back is inconceivable.

Sorry it didn't go to plan, but the gallons of applause above are very well deserved =D> =D> =D>
Laurence M 50 116.2kg 6'5" Started 17 Jan 2009

Fall down seven times, get up eight. Japanese Proverb.
'Tis not the eating, nor 'tis not the drinking that is to be blamed, but the excess. John Seldon
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Mike Channin »

Only just seen this, Plummy.

Well done you for having a go, despite relatively little preparation. Sorry that it didn't go to plan, but as you say, it does underline that ultra-distances can never be taken for granted and that preparation conditioning, nutrition and form are crucial. Wouldn't be surprised if you have a background virus, taking the edge of your performance and leading to the problems you describe. Good luck for the next record attempt!

And what a result from Anke - stupendous!
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Thanks Mike. I've had a slightly radical thought as to one of the major contributors of the nausea...

This may be complete tosh, but, I completely forgot to change from my driving glasses (fairly strong prescription) to my day to day, pottering about glasses which are better for closer up work. I'm wondering if the work my eyes had to do refocusing on the PM hour after hour (on every stroke) plus the constant taking them off and on whilst fixing the internet connection in conjunction with a large dose of fatigue caused the dizziness which I likened to being stuck on a merry-go-round once to start to feel sick, but can't get off.

It was probably a lot more than just that but it is a thought.....
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Actually, I've heard people suggest very similar issues, particularly when getting used to new contact lenses, so you may be onto something. Would certainly make a great excuse for me to try on Paul Gould ;-)
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
paulgould
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

Mike Channin wrote:Actually, I've heard people suggest very similar issues, particularly when getting used to new contact lenses, so you may be onto something. Would certainly make a great excuse for me to try on Paul Gould ;-)
How about "The dog ate my pace-sheet(homework)" :) :) :) :) - you haven't used that one yet either. :lol: :lol:

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

I did row with pace/HR sheets on post-its stuck on the erg at one point, and they did come unstuck and blow away on more than one occasion. Never got eaten by any dogs though... (yet) ;-) I'll save that one for later...