falling from ergo seat

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

truespirit

falling from ergo seat

Post by truespirit »

hi there. i'm new here. i like to know from all experienced members out there,
why each time i train on the ergometer, i'm always slip off the seat (sometime)?

one more thing, how to make sure my technique is correct? i know i need to kick first then pull but each time i apply it, my energy is kinda suddenly decrease in a fast rate. whyyy?? so, most of the time, i just used my hands energy to row. any advice? thanx!!
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: falling from ergo seat

Post by Stan »

Hi and welcome to Free Spirits
I have only ever come off the seat once and that was during a 100 metre sprint. A seatpad can help you stay on but its all about technique.
Some diagrams here and I am sure there are videos out there somewhere too:

http://concept2.co.uk/training/technique

I am sure there are people here more qualified than me to help with the technique issues
pb times
truespirit

Post by truespirit »

thanks for the info stan. i'll try my best to use the proper technique in the future. ohh, but i believe its not that easy to apply those techniques.

one more thing, anyone here know why after train on ergo, my feet sole hurt?
truespirit

Post by truespirit »

oh. thanx stan!

i hope i can follow the correct technique. i know the technique but i found it hard to really apply it in real life. it's kinda sometimes i can but sometimes no.
but i'll try my best.

one more thing, most of the time, after the ergo session, i can feel my foot sole suddenly got hurt. what is the reason?

thank you. :)
hewitt
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by hewitt »

Hi. :fsbgrin:
Definately sounds like a technique issue there. Have you checked your foot plates are set correct? You may have them set to high. You could also test your technique by rowing strapless with your feet loose.That will bring your rate down and hopefully make you drive with your legs more.(just remember that your legs are MUCH stronger than your arms so use them first.) :fsbgrin:

Check this video out as well.

http://concept2.co.uk/training/technique_video
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Welcome to the forum Truespirit..

A couple of questions:
Do you "slip off" on the very first pull i.e. starting from a stationary flywheel, or during a piece?
What damper setting are you using (the slider on the side with settings of 1~10)?
What footwear are you using?

It's definitely a technique issue - most of the battle with this sport is getting your technique right and it can take hundreds of thousands of metres of training to hone it into shape (and it seems not long to lose good technique if you don't keep working at it).

My guess is maybe you have the damper set very high (say around 10), and you are "launching" backwards using your back before you've completed the drive with your legs, this will tend to lift you upwards from your seat and hey presto - welcome to the rail (ouch!).

It can all be corrected - no problem.
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
Wendy
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Wendy »

I've slipped off twice, both times during a FM and both times due to wriggling when my bottom was aching. I wriggled just a bit too much, lost my balance and fell to the floor like a whale crashing back into the water. First time I did it I hurt my coccyx which got caught on the edge of the seat as I fell. Second time was more my pride that got hurt than my bottom. These days I don't wriggle much :lol:
56, 5'8", 78kg but trying hard to be less than I am!

I have become (un)comfortably numb
truespirit

Post by truespirit »

plummy wrote:Welcome to the forum Truespirit..

A couple of questions:
Do you "slip off" on the very first pull i.e. starting from a stationary flywheel, or during a piece?
What damper setting are you using (the slider on the side with settings of 1~10)?
What footwear are you using?

It's definitely a technique issue - most of the battle with this sport is getting your technique right and it can take hundreds of thousands of metres of training to hone it into shape (and it seems not long to lose good technique if you don't keep working at it).

My guess is maybe you have the damper set very high (say around 10), and you are "launching" backwards using your back before you've completed the drive with your legs, this will tend to lift you upwards from your seat and hey presto - welcome to the rail (ouch!).

It can all be corrected - no problem.
no no, most of the time during a piece. but it's not actually i'm slip off, it's just 'i'm going to slip off' . . . that's the correct term to describe it.
i'm using damper no 4 or 5 usually
footwear: running shoes.

yeah, it's the technique again. i assume that its the most important thing in rowing. so that i can apply my maximum energy during on boat row.

thanks again!
truespirit

Post by truespirit »

Wendy wrote:I've slipped off twice, both times during a FM and both times due to wriggling when my bottom was aching. I wriggled just a bit too much, lost my balance and fell to the floor like a whale crashing back into the water. First time I did it I hurt my coccyx which got caught on the edge of the seat as I fell. Second time was more my pride that got hurt than my bottom. These days I don't wriggle much :lol:
ooo...too bad. it must be really hurt on you then. but nice one wendy! love the spirit you got back then! i'll try my best to be like you too~ :)
chipmunkcheeks
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by chipmunkcheeks »

I'm new to rowing (in fact in all my 46 years, until the end of march exercise was a dirty word), and I have to say I have never fallen off, but I am a wriggler make no mistake, especially on distance rows. I row in cycle shorts and have a seat pad, just to help prevent numb bum!! Put me on a cross-trainer and I can't keep my balance at all! the times i have fallen off there is nobody's business, so I have given up on it totally and use a treadmill in between which I find so boring :D Oh and once a week when i go out cycling as my friend runs, guaranteed a fall off!! But hey, i am nothing if not consistently clumsy :lol:

Good luck with staying put!
Ambition is the last refuge of failure - Oscar Wilde
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Truespirit, are you slipping towards the front or the back of the seat?

Towards the front would imply that you are not keeping a straight back at the catch and therefore you end with your legs extended and your hands still close to the gate? This would pull you forward on the seat.

It would also led to each stroke being effectively two strokes, one with the legs and one with the arms which is definitely not recommended.

Towards the back of the seat would be harder to acheive I think. This implies that you are lifting your backside on the drive and pressing hard with the legs and throwing back your body and arms at the same time. Again not efficient and if you land on the rail, very painful.

There are only really three solutions.

1. Practice technique at low SPM and strapless (feet not in the straps). Focus on your hands. At the catch (start of the leg drive) they should be near the gate (where the chain comes out of the wheel) and they should start to move more or less at the same time as you put effort into your legs. Once your hands pass your knees, start moving your arms towards your midriff (tummy). As soon as they touch, push your hands away and follow them back to the gate, bending your knees as your hands pass them.

2. Put a lot of cushions around the C2 :wink:

3. Put a lot of fat on your backside - you'll find that this happens a lot of you stop rowing. :lol:
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904