The KIM (Keep It Moving) Training Thread

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Scoop
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

The KIM (Keep It Moving) Training Thread

Post by Scoop »

Welcome to the KIM Thread.

After showers and steaks at Madchester, Alan and I stood in our Free Spirits blazers and ties sipping Pims and reflecting on the fact that it's difficult to keep the momentum when a competition finishes. Months of training and then suddenly ... no target any more :( In Alan's case this could be 6 months leading up to the Scottish IRC in January.

So we've decided to start a new thread for anyone (if there is anyone) who would like to stay motivated in the periods between competitions or who would just like a bit of everyday motivation.

I know there are already plenty of training threads and plenty more buried in the FS Forum graveyard. The KIM thread offers a Sub 6:20 thread for people who are nowhere near Sub 6:20 :fsbgrin: doing any variety of training with plenty of motivation and regular guest appearances from Dork Scoop #-o

Yesterday was the first day back for me. What better than to do an hour at a more stately pace than on Saturday :D Target 15k

12' - 2:09.6 - 21 - Ah. Not quite that stately. It was all going well until 10' in when my Dad suddenly appeared with a can of oil that I'd asked him to buy. I wasn't expecting him to bring it round and it seemed a bit rude to tell him to get lost and carry on erging. About 100 seconds gone before he said "Am I interrupting you?" and I said "Yes" (In a nice way)
24' - 1:57.7 - 25 - So I'm a bit behind now :roll: 15k is still appearing on the predicted at around 1:57 and just debating whether to chase it or not
36' - 1:59.2 - 24 - And now the debate has become an argument with Dork Scoop who wants to pack it in now.
48' - 2:08.6 - 25 - Not a blow up but I do have to let Dork Scoop have his own way sometimes. We agreed that he could have this split and I'd have the next one
60' - 2:01.6 - 24 - Apparently he "had his fingers crossed".

60' - 14619 - 2:03.1 - 23 - After Saturday this probably wasn't such a bad thing - easing back in gently. Saturday 60' was what I call a 'Ronseal' session - it did exactly what it said on the tin (especially the part about hallucinations and vomiting :lol: )

As for the KIM thread - pop in anytime :fsbgrin: and we'll see if it's useful or if it gets buried under a mound of competition and other training threads.
Laurence M 50 116.2kg 6'5" Started 17 Jan 2009

Fall down seven times, get up eight. Japanese Proverb.
'Tis not the eating, nor 'tis not the drinking that is to be blamed, but the excess. John Seldon
billwright
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: The KIM (Keep It Moving) Training Thread

Post by billwright »

Good idea Scoop.

You could also call it the the "GIT" (Good Intentions Thread).

For example:

I wanted this morning, after a rest day yesterday, to try to better my current CTC 6k time. I set off with "good intentions" and rowed 2x 1000m - the first at 2:32.5 and the second at 2:06.5 which left me nicely warmed up. Last Tuesday, without any warm up, I managed 2:07 so I thought that I could better that. I dialled in 6000m and set off.

1001m later, I'm lying in a dejected heap on the floor (I don't know who put it there! :lol: ). Completely band-jaxed having paced it at a mere 2:01.6. Four months ago I was pulling 1:52's for the same distance.

It is said that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I reckon that I'll have to stop rowing or I'll be there quicker than I should. :lol:

It's a funny old world innit. I'll follow this thread with interest.

Bill :fswink: :fswink:

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
Daffy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018

Post by Daffy »

Much as I would like to be able to do sub 6.20 (lol) I feel this may be the thread for me! Great idea.

I am feeling quite determined that training is going to be higher up the priority list. Indeed, I even got onto the erg yesterday, and felt mildly virtuous and shiny haloed afterwards. (Or was that just a glow of shiny sweat?) A steady 10k, deliberately not gut-busting, with the underlying idea that this training must be sustainable, and that I must not try to progress too quickly (which would have the inevitable consequences of injury/disappointment etc.). DocRowslo's oft said advice of 10k's and 30 R20 rings in my ears, and that is what i shall start off with to improve my base fitness.

I don't know whether I should say this on an open forum... #-o ...but I have spent the last few minutes printing off recent results of competitions as an inspiration that with training I CAN compete, without looking totally ridiculous. Once training is settling down I intend to aim to get back to competing in the future.
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

I WILL BE BACK....... :lol:

i will start training again tomorrow honestly.I seem to have had a servere case of the "cant be arsed" for the last 2 days while being back on long days at work.Not really caught up with my sleep(not been easy getting up at 5:15 AM every morning), after lots and lots of beer and lack of sleep in Madchester. :oops: :wink: #-o

Next focus is Grimsby and a medal. :twisted:
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

I'm not sure how this thread totally differs from the "What training have FS been doing today?" thread as that seems to be targetted at general maintenance training rather than a specific event but I may be misinterpreting the thread meaning.

I very much get the point that there is a mental lull after a big build up to an event and I too, didn't want to row yesterday (or the day before) but that was through mental as much as physical tiredness - I was pretty wasted on Sunday!

I have no specific goal right now (I'm not 50 until next May when it all gets very interesting) other than yanking the chain and keeping a base level, maybe filling in/bettering a Nonathlon score here and there but I'll chip in as and when.
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
AlanS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by AlanS »

Thanks for starting this thread, Scoop. With regards to the blazers, I'm still amazed you did your 60min row in your's! :lol: Can't believe you attempted a 15km 60min yesterday, though. No wonder Dork Scoop made an appearance! :P

Bill, the "Good Intentions Thread"? That sounds a bit like "The fall short of expectations workout thread". No-one has posted on that one since January, so either everyone's training is going well, or we don't like publicising failures. :fswink: So well done on posting your CTC attempt. It's one of the most soul destroying things to compare where you are now with where you were previously. That way madness lies!

Jane, it would be great to see you posting here regularly. If it can help you with your motivation, then it will have been worth starting. Why not go one further and commit to an event for your competition return, say English IRC in January? :twisted:

Plummy, I wouldn't blame you for wanting to take a few days off the erg after your efforts on Saturday. As for this thread v the other one, perhaps this one's location under the 'Training and Racing' section of the forum will make it more focused?

As for me, let me start with this thread's first PB:

30min (Target: 7257m)

2:03.5 @ 25spm
2:03.6 @ 25spm
2:03.2 @ 26spm
2:02.7 @ 26spm
2:00.2 @ 27spm

7336m / 2:02.6 @ 25spm

A SB by 135m and a PB by 79m. Got to be happy with that, and I am. :fssmile:

Next up, steady session on Thursday, and <deep breath> a 2km PB attempt on Friday...
Daffy

Post by Daffy »

Well, an SB and a PB Alan! That's one way to kick off the thread! Well done!

Plummy and Jason...empathising with the trashed feeling...

Bill - you have extenuating circumstances, the fact that you are even getting on the machine is admirable. We missed you and Trish at Madchester, and shall look forward to seeing you both again soon.

Alan - I am not going to decide when I will first race - it will depend on how the training goes and what life throws at me ( and if it hits or misses! :lol: ). It is going to be a case of steady grafting away in the background, to see what happens.

First 30 R20 tucked under the belt, and I've used the time to fill in a slot on the Nonathlon board. Not too many points, but a decent enough base line to work up from. The space on the meter board that need filling up are now 500m (gulp), 60 minutes (how long???) and the HM and M...errr.....Looks like the 60 minutes next then. :D
strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by strider77 »

Great thread-I am looking at Grimsby for my next race which-Gulp- is only 3 months away so am training like mad will start my taper soon :lol:

Seriously this thread is a good idea to help us all Keep it Moving, have only 2 targets at the moment-Grimsby mile on Oct 20th-its a Saturday and Birc 2013 whenever and wherever that is :D

Well done on your 30 min PB-the other Alan :lol: good luck with your 2k attempt on Friday remember pain is only transient, glory lasts for ever :D

Did a half decent 10kr20 on Saturday- 10,000m 41:12.9 - 2:03.6 -r20 :D

Sunday was a HD special, tried a 1k TT, HD then a 500 TT and HD then a 2k TT and HD :oops: in the end managed a 4 min blast-1156m which I was happy with given the circumstances :oops:

Scoop absolutely amazing hour at Madchester and Jane it will be great to see you competing again, was it something to do with Caterina motivating you at the weekend, she and Odd are amazing :D
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Mat

Post by Mat »

Great idea for this thread Laurence :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin: Believe it or not the 6:20 thread arose following a similar conversation between Lee and myself at EIRC 2011 (clearly we didn't have the Pimms and Blazers, but sweaty vests and sports drinks seemed to fit the bill at the time!) when we discussed having a thread that would continue beyond competition without specifying a particular training plan. Unfortunately the "sub 6:20" element of the thread's title has clearly been rather off-putting for many (though this was supposed to be aspirational rather than a barrier to entry)

I'm sure that this thread can help to provide a good focus again (especially judging by comments to date), and I wish you every success. I'll keep posting on t'other thread for the time being, but hopefully I'll be allowed to stick my oar in from time to time :D :D
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

I think any thread started by Scoop is going to popular given his tremendous wit. Looking forward to seeing the results of the battles between dork Scoop (a pox on him) and sensible Scoop (may he write forever).
I will probably keep posting on the pp thread but I will chip in here occasionally.
Jane - good to see you back on the machine and good luck with the marathon training :twisted: - you will need lots of antioxidants so dont forget the tea :D
pb times
Daffy

Post by Daffy »

Drinking Russian Caravan as I write, Stan! :D
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Kept it moving with a 10k at R22 tonight. So so performance finishing in 42:08 but never wanted to push too hard and kept the heartrate below 150 until very near the end.

I might do a FM next actually - can't think of a reason not to (and I need the Nonathlon points)
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
Scoop

Post by Scoop »

That's what I call a great start :fsbgrin:

Plummy, I hear exactly what you say and I asked myself the same question because it is a very valid question. For me the answer is that the 'What training' thread has always been more of a drop-in thread. I would like this to become a regular group of however many (everyone welcome :fsbgrin: ) who bounce off each other whilst posting details of their training.

At the end of the day one of the main motivating factors for me has been making a post and getting an encouraging response on the forum. The 6:20 thread has a regular crew who boost each other along in what is some pretty awesome training with huge ups and downs. But we're not all that awesome, even if we are in our own way. If we can stop just one FS falling off the waggon like I did - so disastrously and for so long, then I'd say it's worth the effort.

Mat, I don't think it is unfortunate that the sub 6:20 element has put people off. Everyone follows the 6:20 thread to smile, to gasp and to gaze in wonder at the exploits of the 'more powerful' FS 8) But a rugby match between England and Wales (for instance :wink: ) is thirty people playing and eighty thousand people watching. It would get a bit messy if all the spectators ran onto the field :fsbgrin:

Alan - you are the inspiration for this. So I'm mad for trying a 15k 60' while you help yourself to a 30' PB? =D> ^O^ Well done man. (By the way are you sure that it was Pimms? It looked very orange to me and it was in a Irn Bru bottle :lol: )

Strider, always great to see you. Strong 10k =D> and the good news is that Stan is doing a special offer this week - half price on all HD's between Sunday and Friday, so you only owe him £75 (so far). Make the most of it because they're back to £50 each next week :D

Jane - Anything to get you back where you belong. We don't want you doing a Dame Kelly Holmes - two gold medals and then you're suddenly waving at crowds, opening supermarkets and presenting BBC Sports Personality of the year. Hope you can find the enjoyment to get back onto the erg - you spent long enough telling me :wink:

Stan, Mat, Jason, Bill - your comments are much appreciated especially as I revere you all [-o<

Bring on the training. I can't wait.

(Edited because I can't spell Pimms, but Mat can. It shows who's living the champagne lifestyle :lol: )

'Tis not the eating, nor 'tis not the drinking that is to be blamed, but the excess. John Seldon
AlanS
True Free Spirit

Post by AlanS »

Jane, I take it you have a level of performance you wish to achieve, then, before committing to a race return? Hopefully you will be able to reach this sooner rather than later, but with the help of this thread, reach it you shall! :)

Other Alan, good to see you here. Don't worry about the HDs on Sunday. Now that you're posting on this thread for all to see, they will never happen again. ;) Actually, it always amazes me how simply knowing you will be posting your training progress gives you that little extra when the going gets tough.

I won't be at Grimsby, however I will commit to doing a 1mile PB attempt the day before. If any other non-attenders would like to join me in this, that would be great. Heck, I'll also commit to a 2km the day before Bristol too. That will give me an excuse to see where I'm at over the next three or four months.

Mat, thanks for your post. You are more than welcome to pop by any time you like.

Plummy, nice steady 10km. I wouldn't have thought you'd need a reason not to do a FM, more like you'd need a reason to do one! :lol: Anyway, hope it goes well.

Scoop, I was eating a bowl of bran flakes while reading your most recent post. I almost coughed some of it onto my monitor with your Irn-Bru comment! :lol:
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Nice 10k Dave-keep keeping it going :D

Jane-your teas are legendary- :wink: :D I always have green tea after a game of Badminton, nice and refreshing and kills all those nasty free radicals. Looked up Russian Tea, interesting, will see if I can get some-which supermarkets stock it ?

Last night was a sort of fartlek/interval session, from the library of horrible intervals from hell.

40 minutes continuous at varying rates with a target of 10,000m so 2:00/500 average

Achieved Total 40:00-10,253-1:57.0-25

1'R20/1'R24/1'R28 repeat 8 times total 24 minutes-6164-1:56.8-24
30"R20/30"R24/30"R28 repeat 8 times total 12 minutes-3022-1:59.1-24
4 mins at free rate to finish, could only manage R27 :oops: -1067-1:52.4-27

Quite tough but enjoyable in a masochistic way :lol:

Interesting the way the pace dipped after going from 1 min reps to 30" I would have thought it would have been the other way around :?
billwright

Post by billwright »

Keeping it Moving with 5x2000m 1000r. The aim was the neg split with fast last and keep the 1000m rest to around 5 minutes.
11 July 2012.PNG
Target to beat next time 2:08.5 ! :lol:

Last edited by billwright on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

NIce session Bill :D

I am going to have to do something similar tonight probably 4 x1k r5 not done one for ages and not looking forward to it :shock:

Alan-sorry our postings crossed over so I did not reply to yours-thanks for your good thoughts-we did meet once before at BIRC I think it was 2009 though it may have been 2008 :D
Scoop

Post by Scoop »

Some great training flooding in already.

Plummy - well done for the 10k and good luck with the FM if you go for it =D> That will be Mudda's Milk to you :fswink:

Strider - are those from the GaryD school of pain? Well done mate - great session =D> . I'd need a personal trainer to remind me what was next. I do plenty of Fartlek sessions, it's just that they seem to have all of the Fart and non of the Lek if that makes sense :lol:

Bill - so pleased to see you here ^O^ I like the 2k session with the 1k active rests. Aim well and truly achieved and those low HR show just how fit you are =D>

Alan - you see! You are going to the races, even if it's from a distance =D> I'll be watching out for those PB attempts - good luck :wink:

Fairly gentle session for me tonight. 5x2kr2' (so very passive rest compared to Bill 8) )

2000 - 2:03.8 - 20 - 126 - Dork Scoop didn't even look up from his crossword as I went out
2000 - 2:01.9 - 21 - 133 - And didn't raise an eyebrow as I set off (even though he can see me at the bottom of the garden)
2000 - 1:59.2 - 22 - 142 - Because when the session is in the bag before it even starts then he's just not interested
2000 - 2:01.7 - 21 - 143 - So it was nice to have a quiet session without him
2000 - 2:03.7 - 20 - 140 - Especially knowing that he'll be out again on Monday and demanding the seat (CTC :roll: )

10000 - 40:41.8 - 2:02.1 - 21 - I'm just so happy to be erging again. It's rewarding, it's slimming, it's healthy, it's fun and it's free :fsbgrin: Why did I ever stop? (Dork Scoop is chuckling into his crossword).

Gentle(ish) build-up to my next challenge - the Rowlympics from 27th July - 12th August, so my first HM and FM for many a moon are on the horizon :D

slwiser
True Free Spirit

Post by slwiser »

5x2k ~2r for me at an average of 2:08.0

This gave me a TE of 3.8.

Yesterday was a TE of 4.0 doing a 20 min fast walk on the TM followed by 30 row at 6925 meters.

Typically I do either a 2k set of intervals or 10 min sets with a total duration anywhere below 60 minutes of total row time.

My goal is fitness....
62 years old, ~210 lbs; 1.765m(5'-9.5"): CABGx4 on Feb 18 2008; Dynamic @ home
-I am keeping my workouts up in Movescount under my user name here.
Scoop

Post by Scoop »

Well done Steve =D> You're still an inspiration to us all.

I'd say that in this day and age, fitness is one of the best goals we can aspire to. And the best thing about it is that it's always a work in progress.

Keep on enjoying your training and keep on inspiring us :fsbgrin:

strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Morning campers !

Nice session Scoop-give him the Mephisto that will keep him quiet for a bit :lol:

Steve great session - 20 mins Treadmill THEN 30 mins row-much respect :D

Last night was another HD special-as I heard they were on special offer :lol:

It was supposed to be 4 x 1k-did first at 1:44.1 pace-clearly not ready for that sort of pace so did some inane thrashing around and gave it up as a bad job will have a more conservative go next week, night off tonight then a second go at the CTC on Friday :D
billwright

Post by billwright »

Great session Steve - Alan you must stop going for these special offers or there'll be none left for us others :lol: :lol:

Today was a first attempt at a WP L4 for three months or so. Baby steps at the moment with only 10 mins of 168. It was within the limits (much to my surprise) and is something to build so that I can hopefully switch back to the Wolverine Plan thread.
Capture 12 July.PNG
Keeping it moving

AlanS
True Free Spirit

Post by AlanS »

What a popular thread this is turning out to be! Lots of good training going on, with some interesting sessions. I'm in the process of devising my training for the next two or three months (once I get my various PB attempts out the way), so I may take some inspiration from these sessions. :)

Other Alan, yes we did meet, and if it was BIRC then it was 2008. How times flies...

Something new for me today - 5km R20, completed in 21:56.8. Not really much else to add, other than having to constantly watch my rating to ensure I didn't creep upwards. I suspect I may be doing a lot more of these in the not too distant future.
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Alan S srote :-Something new for me today - 5km R20, completed in 21:56.8. Not really much else to add, other than having to constantly watch my rating to ensure I didn't creep upwards. I suspect I may be doing a lot more of these in the not too distant future.
Other Alan-great session =D> I am convinced the R20 sessions are good for power-I do at least one a week, it was 10k this week will be doing 30 mins next week :D

Cheers Bill-well done on the L4- =D> as you say baby steps, you will be back :D
Daffy

Post by Daffy »

In honour of smoky fires (ah...the memories!) Lapsang Souchong tonight. (Thanks Stan!) That should get the free radicals cowering in the corner.

Scoop – does Dame Kelly get paid for opening supermarkets? If so...I could do that job, I’m sure!

Alan S – I don’t really know what I’m aiming for, but sub 8 2k is perhaps the initial goal, as that is what Plummy originally gave me as a competitive level to reach. But I’d like better...eventually, in time. We’ll see.

Strider – the Russian Caravan that I drink has always been gifted to me – and it’s always been Whittards – they do online ordering...oooh, the temptations one can find on the internet!

Today for me the hour for the Nonathlon as promised – achieved 13052m @ 2:17.9, 26spm hr153, which I’m pleased with given only one week back after 2 months off sitting down but not moving backwards and forwards. I worked hard on this one - just had a phone call from my neighbour about something else, and he commented on the amount of effort that I seemed to be expending. :oops: :lol:

10 mins 2:24.5 25 140
20 mins 2:20.7 26 150
30 mins 2:18.7 26 150
40 mins 2:15.5 27 158
50 mins 2:14.9 28 160
60 mins 2:13.5 29 164

It makes my 30 minutes look a bit tardy, but it was rate restricted. I’ll have to do that one again soon...I do like the R20 rows though – always a feeling of satisfaction when they are over, and they do seem to work for leg strength and concentrating on technique.