Provisional Training Plan and Preparation for BIRC

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Provisional Training Plan and Preparation for BIRC

Post by Mike Channin »

OK, here's a draft training plan for the run up to BIRC

I'm going to assume you can manage 3 hard sessions a week. (If you're training extra sessions, just make sure they're recovery sessions, and don't go over 70% WHRR)

To train up for the 2k, you need to maximise your efficiency at this distance. To do this, you need to work on stamina, strength, and ability to hold race pace (both physical and mental). So we'll use three different types of workout in the three hard sessions.

Stamina Workouts

These are over 2k distance and are done continously to build endurance.

ST1. 30mins unrestricted
ST2. 30mins Rating 20 (30R20)
ST3. 25mins
ST4. 6k
ST5. 20mins
ST6. 5k
ST7 4k
ST8 2 x 2.5k

Strength Workouts

These are done as short intervals to improve stroke power and strength

S1. 6 x 500m, 2 min rest
S2. 8 x 500m, 2 min rest
S3. 6 x 2min, 2 min rest
S4. 4 x 1k, 4 min rest
S5. 5 x 1k, 4 min rest
S6. 4 x 5min, 90 second rest
S7. 4 x 5min, 5 min rest
S8. 4 x 1500m, 5 min rest
S9. 3 x 1609m (mile), 5 min rest
S10. The Rugby Test
If you want to go really hard on the longer intervals, you can use a 10min rest and even do a bit of active resting (low power rowing) in the gap to help clear down the lactate.

Pace Test Workouts

The point of these is to get used to rowing at your target pace and stroke rate, over shorter distances, but working up to full race distance.

P1. 4 x 500m @ Race Pace, 30 seconds rest
P2. 3 x 666m @ Race Pace, 30 seconds rest
P3. 2 x 1k @ Race Pace, 30 seconds rest
P4. 1250m @ Race Pace 5 min rest 750m Race Pace 3 min rest 250m Race Pace
P5. 1500m @ Race Pace 5 min rest 1000m Race Pace
P6. 1609m @ Race Pace 4 min rest 800m Race Pace 2 min rest 400m Race Pace
P7. 1800m @ Race Pace
P8. 2k @ Race Pace - full race simulation including your warmup and cooldown. Exactly as planned for race day
P9. Any other pyramid either triangular or descending using Race Pacing and intervals.
Last edited by Mike Channin on Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Basically, the idea is to do one of each of the Workouts each week - just pick one you feel able to do, and work from the top of the table downwards towards the race date.

In the week before the race, you want to back off the intensity of your recovery workouts, and also drop the distance down on them. Assuming the race is on Sunday, Pick one of the toughest workouts for the Monday, Do a Race Simulation on the Wednesday (so that you KNOW what you can do, come race day), Do one of the lightest workouts on the list Friday. Do 10k max very light paddling (60% WHRR max) on the Saturday. And Race your heart out on Sunday.

Remember to plan your race preparation checklist including your warmup, your pre-race preparation (set footplates, set drag, check slide, take ventolin if you're asthmatic, set meter to correct display, deep breath, smile at the FS supporters, and give it hell! :twisted: ), your cooldown, when to drink, eat, weigh-in, get changed etc. The less you have to worry about on the day the better.

We'll try and have a Free Spirit hanging around the warmup area who knows how the schedule is running so you know when to warm up without having to run around finding out how far behind they're running by yourself. You just relax and warm up.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

On the day at BIRC (and Newark if I can get there in time) I'll try to be around early, and there should be some obvious Free Spirits you can come and say hello to and ask any last minute questions. Small races like Newark allow over-the-shoulder coxing, so we can do that too. At BIRC, you'll be on your own (although you'll probably be able to hear us screaming from the seats) so your race plan is doubly important.

Remember, you're never on your own. You're a Free Spirit!
BigWaveDave
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by BigWaveDave »

Mike,

Thanks for this plan but I do have a question.

It maybe a stupid question to some but for us beginers it may not (or am I just the only one who doesn't understand)

Is the aim that in week 1 we do the ST1, S1 and P1 and then week 2 ST2, S2 and P2 etc - or do we just do any one from each section in week 1 and then different ones in the subsequent weeks?

Is it also worth doing a 2k soon to give a base time?

cheers
BigWaveDave
52 yrs, 6' 14st 11lb
PB's
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Dave - good question.

You can pick and choose them as you see fit, and don't have to do them in order, or any kind of sequence. You can do the same one every week if you like. And listen to your body: If you're feeling a bit lousy, do an easier one. If you're feeling :twisted: do one of the harder ones. They're generally in easy to hard order, so going down the list makes them harder to do, and more appropriate to the race itself. (Except for the rugby test which I couldn't figure out where to put)

I'm going to be following a variation on this myself, but I also have to factor in a HM, and a paced 30k in preparation for Simsy's Charity Marathon (as well as competing at Newark too). My logbook will tell you how I get on...
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Oh, and I'm not big on restricted rate stuff (being a short and relatively light rower, and feeling that low rate stuff is much easier if you're very tall and very heavy), but feel free to rate restrict anything you like EXCEPT the Race Pace stuff, where ideally you want to be at the same rating you'll use for the race. (This is all about convincing yourself you CAN do it and you CAN handle the pain.)