Starnberg 30min race on 18/02/12

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Starnberg 30min race on 18/02/12

Post by Grobi »

Hi all,

just a quick note to inform you that a certain Mr. Plummy and I will be competing in Saturday's 30min-race in Starnberg, south of Munich (www.ergoregatta.de). It's the open german championship over this distance.

In a moment of mental derangement I registered as a lightweight without being one yet :shock: So my first aim is to be at 75,0kg at the weigh in. As for the race itself I don't have any race plan as I have no experience in racing as a lightweight. Please keep your fingers crossed that I a) make lightweight and b) enjoy my race :D
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Starnberg 30min race on 18/02/12

Post by Paul Victory »

Good luck making the weight Peter and I hope you both have a great race. It's nice to see races taking place over something longer than 2k.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Best of luck with the weight, Peter :!: :D But I guess your joy will be bigger AFTER the race... :evil: :twisted: :lol: :wink: Good luck to Dave as well :!: :fssmile:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
Jon
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Jon »

Great we've got two freespirits racing, a 2k is painful, but thirty minutes could be brutal, especially if going out slightly too fast. The very best of luck to you both! Looking forwards to seeing the race reports!

Rowing for health
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by plummy »

For being such a good host I will ensure that Peter is most certainly NOT a LWT by the time he has been very well fed in a restaurant on Saturday evening. I've never raced over 30 minutes either (other than on Rowpro) so this will be a new experience (and a main part of the attraction of going). Hoping to better 1:57 average split and preferably 1:55.9 for a new SB. Maybe if I commit early.......

Results may be affected by how brutal the osteopath is with me later today (I'll still be sore on Saturday).

I realise most will be waiting in anticipation of results from the Crash-B's but maybe, if this is a well run event, a few may be tempted to try this next year if funds won't stretch to Boston.

I hope they do the announcements in English as well - I may be standing around looking lost whilst my race is already over #-o (stay close Pete)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Stan

Post by Stan »

Have a great time both of you - oh and get a great time too! :D
pb times
plummy

Post by plummy »

Stan wrote:Have a great time both of you - oh and get a great time too! :D
I think the time is a given - it being a 30 minute race :wink:

I'll try and get a good distance though :D - cheers Stan.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Stan

Post by Stan »

#-o :oops:
Well you know what I mean anyway :lol:
pb times
kirbyt
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by kirbyt »

Good luck with your German adventure, Plummy.
Peter, let David be your guide to making weight--he has lots of experience.
54 years old probably around 77kg.
AlanS
True Free Spirit

Post by AlanS »

Hope the two of you enjoy your 30min races. Looking forward to reading your reports of pain afterwards. ;)
plummy

Post by plummy »

I will commit early, I will commit early, I will commit early.......

It's a shame we are on at the same time - a bit of English vocal support may be useful. I'm not sure someone shouting at me in German would help all that much
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

All the best Peter and Dave-can not wait to hear how it goes :D
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Jon
True Free Spirit

Post by Jon »

plummy wrote:I will commit early, I will commit early, I will commit early.......

It's a shame we are on at the same time - a bit of English vocal support may be useful. I'm not sure someone shouting at me in German would help all that much
I don't know, I had once a German girlfriend who was quite scary at times, Failure is not an Option said in the right way in German could keep me from quitting :!: 8)

Rowing for health
plummy

Post by plummy »

I suppose a young, motivated and muscular Fraulein screaming in my ear may be useful the more I think about it.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Jon
True Free Spirit

Post by Jon »

We should ask Peter, you know, I bet it could be arranged :shock: :roll: :lol:

Rowing for health
billwright
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by billwright »

Good luck to the pair of you. Schnell! Schnell! Schnell! :lol:

Bill :fswink: :fswink: :fswink:

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
OddI
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by OddI »

Best of luck to you both! Start fast, and then go faster :D
I am Impressed by Peter to become a LTW ^O^. And I think that you did well in EIRC Dave! No reason not to race in Nottingham. But the most important thing is that you will be there :fsbgrin:

Odd
Doc RowSlo

Post by Doc RowSlo »

Good luck to the Free Spirit LWT pair!
plummy

Post by plummy »

Unable to report any results until now as Peter's laptop has been on its deathbed for some time and the lid would only open part way. He was brave enough to let me loose with his tool box and now we have a working PC (albeit slightly "adjusted" mechanically).

I managed a third place at yesterdays Starnberg 30 minutes with 7721m. Pretty happy with that and I did better my very conservative plan to start with 1:59's to start with 1:58's. After that I kinda sat at 1:58's for 10 minutes before even considering going faster then steadily negative split but without dropping below 1:56's until the last 5 minutes.

Really enjoyed the event. Extremely well run (only 5 mins between races) and ran exactly to schedule. All through the races they were playing loud rock music. You were introduced to the Star Wars theme and they finished every race with a rock version of Eye of the Tiger blasting out whilst the crowd clapped in time - good stuff and great for helping the 30 minutes pass by.
The display screen was the best I've ever seen - waaayyy better than the UK screens and absolutely crystal clear. Not only that, they had one behind the rowers and one on the opposite wall the rowers could see.
There were 21 ergs split on two levels - 10 on the raised stage and 11 more at floor level
The only 2 down sides were - all the commentary is in German (obviously) but it makes following things a bit difficult and - there are no showers at the hall so travelling back in the car for an hour+ was a little icky.

Top two distances in my race were 7888 and 7862(ish) so I would have needed to nearly PB to have a chance of moving up a place and actually PB to win. I probably could have gone out harder so will continue to beat myself up until I finally re-learn to go for it.

I'd definitely do this again and would recommend it as an event to attend. I've got some piccies and a bit of video (none of me as myself and Peter were racing on adjacent ergs at the same time) but I'll post them tomorrow when I get home (not flying back until 10:00 tonight)

Looking forward to the Crash-B live feed later today to support the guys who flew in the other direction this weekend - go Free Spirits!!!!!!!!
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

Sounds like a great event and well organised as well. Well done on the 3rd place David. 8) And well done to Peter as well. =D> =D>
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Hi all,

(obviously) also back from the Starnberg race where I managed to do my first leighweight race ever. As I said before my main concern was to make leightweight at all. The evening before my weight was up to 75.6kg again so I knew I had to do something before the weigh in.

At a first try before official weigh in I was still at 75.3kg, so off I went to the w/u machines for 20mins of sweat. After that my weight was 75.1kg :? What to do now? Plummy told me that Iain once had taken his glasses off at the weigh in and that did the trick: 75.0kg :D At least that's what they told me as I couldn't read the scales myself :lol:

That was a great relief and as my main concern had been cleared now I was awaitung my race quite relaxed. I had done a 30min test on Wednesday (7513m) and on Thursday (7533m). My race plan was to start around 1:59 pace and just hold that as long as possible and speed up in the final five minutes. It all went pretty much to plan with lots of 1:59 and 1:58 splits in the first 20 minutes. The next five minutes were a bit tough but with the "eye of the tiger" shouting at me I could speed up a bit in the final stage of the race and finally finished fourth with 7588m, so 55m more than two days ago (when I was still heavyweight). And being a good host to Dave I didn't want to pass him :D (and honestly there was no way I could have done it).

That was my second time in Starnberg. As Dave said they don't have showers there but that's the only negative point in my opinion. The commentator's language understandably is german but they even made some english announcement especially for Dave! The venue is big and airy with some good music being played, they have plenty of w/u machines and the atmosphere generally is very encouraging.

Sorry Dave that I couldn't find any big german fräulein shouting at you!
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Daffy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Daffy »

Well done Dave - 3rd is great! =D>

Well done Peter - both making lightweight, and fourth - very respectable! =D>

I like the sound of the technology - it's good to have the screens fore and aft, it gives more awareness of what your competitors are doing, particularly over a longer timed race. What screens etc. were they using? And can we tell C2 here to update asap? :idea:
plummy

Post by plummy »

Plummy Starnberg 3rd Place.JPG
Plummy Starnberg 3rd Place.JPG (71.71 KiB) Viewed 2146 times
Starnberg Stage Setup.JPG
Starnberg Stage Setup.JPG (81.64 KiB) Viewed 2146 times
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

plummy wrote:I managed a third place at yesterdays Starnberg 30 minutes with 7721m. Pretty happy with that and I did better my very conservative plan to start with 1:59's to start with 1:58's. After that I kinda sat at 1:58's for 10 minutes before even considering going faster then steadily negative split but without dropping below 1:56's until the last 5 minutes.
Well done Plummy. =D> =D> =D>
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Stan

Post by Stan »

Brilliant performance guys well done to you both =D> =D> =D>
pb times