Intervals...

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Intervals...

Post by Thomas W-P »

I have been doing intervals as part of this C2 programme.
Concept 2 wrote:Recovery Time Between Intervals
Full recovery between intervals can be considered as taken place when the heart rate has fallen to warm
up level (twice resting rate).
The intensity of interval-training can be increased by working to 90% or even 80% of full recovery.
Example - resting heart rate = 60bpm. Warm up rate = 120bpm
100% recovery = 120bpm, then repeat.
90% recovery = 132bpm, then repeat.
80% recovery = 145bpm, then repeat.
Reduced recovery is most effective at the beginning of an intensive interval-training period when intensity
takes precedence over quality. Close to competition quality takes precedence over intensity and therefore
full recovery is advisable.
I always do the full 100% recovery, but feel demoralised/as weak as a lamb when I set off again for the first few strokes. I think I need some advice on how quickly to get one's heart up to the required band - maybe I should go up slowy and only start timing once I am on the band? Currently I pull rather hard (I aim for my 2000m PB pace) to get the heart rate up quickly.

I know that this training is working though (see the "Free Spirits effect" post in the main forum) so I am not that demoralised!
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Hell 4 leather

Post by jainser »

I've only tried interval training a couple of times. To get my HR up I go hell for leather until it is, then settle down into a rhythmn that keeps it there.
Don't know if this is right or wrong (knowing me, probably wrong!) but it works.
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking