Pacing for the Marathon

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Pacing for the Marathon

Post by webberg »

I am looking to do a marathon in October. The info on the C2 site says that this should be around 2:17 splits for me. I think this is about right and consequently I have been trying to do my training at or around this level.

I have a couple of points on this and would appreciate some advice.

Firstly, I find keeping my pace down to 2:15 ish quite a challenge. Left to its own devices my natural rythym gets me to around 2:08. This is good for distances up to about 10k. (Used to be about 5k but now apparently much fitter). The SPM at 2:08 is around 27. If I go higher SPM the split reduces.

If I slow the SPM I find that I still drift towards 2:08. Staying at 2:15+ seems to require little physical effort but a lot of concentration.

Should I just go with what feels right and slow later or does it pay to kepe the first 20k or so at 2:15?

Secondly, nobody is going to do 84 x 2:15 splits. There will be times when this is quicker and some slower. Again my natural cadence on a long piece is to gradually speed up over the first half, struggle in the third quarter and recover in the last. Over 10k this is not a problem. Over 42k it might be.

Would it be sensible to start out at 2:20 and only pick it in the last quarter or is a more even pacing better?

Never been beyond 23k before so looking for help from those who have.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

When I did a marathon last year I set off at 2:10/500 and went through the half way stage in about 1 hour 33 and was feeling fine until about the 25k mark. The splits then began to drop and I had to get off and stretch a few times.
The pace may feel good at first but that wont last.

This time I feel more confident that I will be able to hold the 2:10 pace (unless Simsy sabotages my machine first) , having done several 30ks this season, of which the only really painful one was the first one. I strongly suggest you try a 30k at your intended marathon pace - this will highlight any problems and will let you know if that pace is realistic. It may be worth dropping the drag factor which may make the 2:15 feel more normal. The 30k will also give you the confidence that you will be able to complete the whole thing.

I will now sit back and await the more sensible advice from Uncle Mike :lol:
pb times
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

I have done two marathons and tried to do both at 2:15 pace.

The first I died after 2 hours 30 minutes and struggled over the line an hour later.

The second I stopped every 10km for a stretch and buttock massage and then got back on and tried to keep the split at 2:15 (the average obviously changed).

This was completely unscientific and both marathons were done in almost identical times.

The thing I learned is that altough 2:15 feels trivially easy for the first hour or so, it catches you out soon enough. So don't think that 2:17 is an easy pace. Marathons hurt. Do the 30km - I didn't first time round - only did a half marathon and paid the penalty.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

Uncle Stan is spot on in his advice - the 30k at planned pace is the key and will tell you roughly how the FM will feel.

Going off way too fast is a certain recipe for distster on the marathon - you WILL pay for it. If 2:15 seems easy, enjoy that fact. It won't 25k later.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)