Is everyone losing interest in ELM?

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Is everyone losing interest in ELM?

Post by Mike Channin »

This forum has gone awfully quiet lately.

Are people losing interest in ELM? If so, what can we do to invigorate things?

How come all you big people haven't had a go at the 'Weight Adjusted 2k'? Is John Glynn the only big bloke to be brave enough to give this a go? (Fighting talk!!!!)

Are people keen on more 'weight adjusted' challenges?

Do you all know about the Free Spirits Fun and Free Spirits Extreme leagues?

Answers on a postcard. Or on this forum...
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
JanetS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by JanetS »

Beginning of new academic year - still trying to work out when on earth I can fit erging in......

Once I do - ELM watch out! :D

(not so keen on weight adjusted though - means I have to find out what I weigh :shock: )
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

Nope - still very interested in ELM. I sat down a couple of days ago to work out which ones I had not done yet, the result of which was complete panic as there are about 8 challenges I need to complete by months end - hence I am currently doing the rollercoaster challenge
pb times
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Thomas W-P »

I am not imaginaive enough to fit them in to my C2 programme. But I am getting better and when I am on the "Mike programme" who knows.

I am also suffering from startoftermitis. I think being swamped by too many challenges did put me off a little though.

Maybe we need some "2 x 14' UT1" challenges or something to fit in with my programme...
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Yep, I lost interest in ELM some time ago - there are simply TOO MANY challenges. If you look at the scores table, there are vast areas with no entries at all. The whole thing was discussed re tidying it up but it still looks too unweildy for me (and most others methinks).

I suppose my main reason (which may be similar to others), is that I want to maximise my metres on either long distance rows, or the standard C2 distances such as 2/5/6/10k etc and by "going for it" over an "odd" distance such as 901.77metres (or whatever someone thought up) knackers me out for the day and really doesn't help me overall

Just my two penneth worth.

I still like the CTC as it is a single challenge, we can all contribute as a team "pulling together" ('scuse the pun) against the enemy(?) whereas the ELM we are fighting against one another and if you are not one of the "big guns" you are very likely to end up with a lot of 1's so you are maybe better off not bothering
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by jainser »

Yeah I'm up for them. To be honest I tend to forget about them though. I'm into the September ends one at moment but that was more talking to a certain Mr sims on another thread.
Maybe they need more hype???
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Perhaps Jainser has hit the nail on the head there.

Might knock up a summary list of the current ELM challenges so people can quickly see what is around.

I can sympathise with Plummy too about not being able to fit in odd distances. Maybe we should have some more standard distances.

Also, he makes a good point about the giants hogging all the points. Maybe a handicapped system might even things up and give a bit more incentive. I had a go with the two weight adjusted challenges, and at least they have different people at the top of them (check out Bangers adjusted 2k time!)
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
PSims
True Free Spirit

Away

Post by PSims »

Been out of form :oops: , on holiday 8) and just trying to catch up with the metres I lost after the last 2 weeks away :( .
I also know ELM will be cleared down at the end of September.

So there's a new set of challenges I've already thought up for October - December - watch this space (I can hear the groans from here!) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sneak preview.....

:arrow: Hallowe'en Horror
:arrow: Fireworks Finale
:arrow: The Advent Calendar
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

Stan

Post by Stan »

be afraid - be very afraid
Actually that could be the title of another challenge :lol:
pb times
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by jainser »

Stan wrote:be afraid - be very afraid
Actually that could be the title of another challenge :lol:
"On the Rower, No one can hear you scream"
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
PSims
True Free Spirit

Here you go

Post by PSims »

Oh I can't resist - I'll divulge the Advent Calendar one.....

:arrow: To be done during December (no surprise)
:arrow: Each piece of the challenge can be completed in any order, as many as you like on the same day if you wish
:arrow: An Advent calendar has 1-24 windows. So guess what, the 24 challenges that make this up are 1K, 2K, 3K.....24K :shock:
:arrow: Note your times, add 'em up and post the total!

Easy eh? Mmmwwwwoarrrrrhhh!! He he he! :twisted:
Paul

Stan

Post by Stan »

ok everyone - who hasnt been giving Paul his medication? :lol:
Is there no end to our pain?
Is there no end to this mans twisted evil?
pb times
Tricia B
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by Tricia B »

I like the ELM challenges....and of course like the ones that aren't timed....becasue I am slow.......I have that addictive behavior that likes doing well.....

I also get lost in the points table....it's hard to scroll and keep track of where you are on the page....

I do have to brave up here and ask a question. :oops: ....I am confused as to how to identify which ones are in the 'fun' vs 'extreme' vs 'standard' league????

I have searched the forum for clarity and am wondering where the postcard is? It was referred to in one of the messages in this topic.....

Please help me and explain.....thank you soooo much..... :lol:
the Colibri, Unleash the power of the Free Spirits and Fly

Ultra Distances 2007 season: 6 FM's (with 3 in 3 days) and one 50k

Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Good point - we should have a sticky post as guideance.

In simple terms, just add a new league and scroll through a few pages to find "Free Spirits Fun". The leagues are not in alphabetical order (or weren't last time I checked).

You might want to avoid "Free Spirits Extreme". I am a member but only to be kept up to date with what those loonies are challenging each other.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Actually, there's a load of distance related challenges in Free Spirits Extreme which Tricia would be winning if she was in them, because of the amazing amount of distance she has put in this season. Some come and have a look at the extreme stuff, Tricia, and take your rightful place at the top of some of the challenges!
PSims
True Free Spirit

Loony - I resemble that remark

Post by PSims »

So do you want the Advent Challenge in Extreme or Standard?

I know - 2 challenges:

Advent Distance - in Extreme - as above
Advent Time - in Standard - you do rows of 1 min, 2 min... 24 min and add up total metres!

Yes there's no end to the man's evil.

The fireworks one might have something to do with 1000 shot ignition cakes or something - have to see!

Yes, the loony is also a pyromaniac!! :lol: :twisted: :lol:

And as the word lunatic comes from lunar as in moon, remind me who it was that invented the row to the moon challenge.....!
Paul

Tricia B
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by Tricia B »

Thank you so much for clueing me in........I am now a member of all the Free Spirit leagues......wow.... :roll: ...it took me awhile to figure out what day I reached 1,406K....I got so absorbed.....that I totally forgot I was hungry and did even make dinner......now I have my system in place and can easily track the other long distances.....what creative thinking went into developing these challenges....thank you....thank you

I truly appreciate and fully enjoy the extreme league....I guess it's my niche.... :lol:

the Colibri, Unleash the power of the Free Spirits and Fly

Ultra Distances 2007 season: 6 FM's (with 3 in 3 days) and one 50k

Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Good to hear that you're enjoying it Tricia.

It started off with Stan talking about how motivated he was by the Tour De France distance challenge, so I just extended out the other distance challenges to give people something to aim at (in addition to the conventional million meter points). I did also have an eye on making sure you got a reward for the massive distances you're putting in, and an incentive to carry on.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Hi Tricia - welcome to the extreme league.
You may want to look at my post on the extreme league thread asking about half marathons and whether distances in excess of half marathon count. They do providing they are done in one session. I think your multitude of half marathons score should be better than 1 in that case. So you can go further up the leaderboard with that one too - as you deserve.
pb times
PSims
True Free Spirit

Welcome!

Post by PSims »

Hey Tricia...and I saw your 21,097 m today.
Now all you have to do is 1 every day from now on.....! :twisted:

Extreme is great for those that plug away but are not so hot on the short distances - like myself...
Paul