Training towards a 6:20 2k

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Jon
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: Training towards a 6:20 2k

Post by Jon »

Great to see you posting here Erik. Funny, I have been considering posting with improving training.

Great to hear you've rediscovered sprinting and that you're shedding considerable weight to boot. Consistency of training, as you say, pays dividends. You've definitely got a winning attitude, so your change of club sounds like a great move.

Hmm, Plummy's been doing a good job of organizing us for Madchester! How does one train for a 1K and a 5K at the same time?! I'm looking forwards to meeting folk and hope I can do the distances some justice. Failing that, at least it will be a marker to judge future progress against :roll: 8)

I've completed my MTB enduro bike which has only taken me 20 months to complete. I've bought an annual membership for Coed Llandegla and have ridden the red run (I'd only ever done blacks before, but I'm out of practice). I managed to get up every climb without getting off, so I'm looking forwards to losing more weight then ascending with a bit more speed. Sounds like we're on a similar quest Erik! I've gone from 107kg to 102 over the last few months. My intention is to lose about another 5kg before re-evaluating. I'd like to move up the local Strava leaderboard to a semi-respectable position, which means losing some considerable mass. Not sure what effect this will have on the rowing, though I doubt it should matter too much.

I did 4*2k yesterday with 3'r; average 1:48.1 (progressively negatively split) 28spm EHR 159, 163, 168, 173 so well judged pace for my current ability. Suunto TE 3.8. I used to do 3*12' quicker, so some way off before I can legitimately claim to be aiming for the thread's title (one of the reason's I've not been posting here)!

Rowing for health
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

zootMutant wrote:Erik! Very happy to see you posting! (And rowing, of course!) :P

10 seconds and 48 metres is quite a distance to make up in a 6K! Well done! =D>

The change back to Aarhus... rowing at Madchester... and looking at a single sculler... all sound like positive directions to me. I wish you the best! :fsbgrin:

Cheers,
Thanks for all your always nice and supportive words, Zoot :!: :fssmile: Yes, I must admit 48m was quite a gap, actually I forgot "all" about 1st place, just trying to catch the 2nd place and maybe gettiing a bit closer to No. 1, and only when the distance got down to 20m I actually thought I might just have a chance of catching him, but still very nerve wracking when I sensed he made some intermittent sprints to keep me away... :o :o
Jon wrote:Great to see you posting here Erik. Funny, I have been considering posting with improving training.
[...]
I did 4*2k yesterday with 3'r; average 1:48.1 (progressively negatively split) 28spm EHR 159, 163, 168, 173 so well judged pace for my current ability. Suunto TE 3.8. I used to do 3*12' quicker, so some way off before I can legitimately claim to be aiming for the thread's title (one of the reason's I've not been posting here)!
Gr8 to see you posting again, Jon, as you were already erging (I suspected that much). Me - was kind of looking for a pretext or an excuse to post - in stead of just posting...

Gr8 to hear about your training, Jon :!: 8) We obviously both struggle with not getting anywhere near former training paces and times - but also looks like we have found a way to deal with this, and still train - and still make progress :!: :idea:

Really think your fitness level will benefit from the MTB riding, I guess your legs will be much more effective on the erg as well :!: :D :D

How to train both for 1k and 5k :?: Obviously a very good question - if you don´t know the answer one simple solution could be to train for just one and hope the other will follow... :idea: :wink: Obviously a lot of sprintervals for the 1k: 45secs, 1min, 500m, 2min, 750m you name it...Different for the 5k, needing a lot of both physical and mental power to push all the way...

Been doing some 5ks to try to get used to the demands. Sunday 17:57.5 at DF 120, yesterday 17:44.4 at DF 123, will probably be aiming towards my usual DF of 130... At least I´m hoping to beat last year´s 5k time against Jason, we were both around 17:37 - but was a bit chaotic when Jason´s PM5 broke down just as he finished... Anyways, hope neither the two of us will be erging on a PM5 this year (if one has to - I suggest it should be me)...

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Don´t think I will consider 22spm low rate, but did a 5k at R22 in 18:28.0 today...

Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

I thouhgt I would just do another ctc B4 you totally kick me out of Boat 1 (can still happen, though :lol: ), Jon... :wink: :

1: 0592m 1:41.3 24
2: 1172m 1:42.3 25
3: 1755m 1:42.5 28
4: 2338m 1:42.6 30
T= 5855m 1:42.4 26

Manage to keep SR relatively down in the first two reps, and then in the last there were some vague ressemblances with the old Eric, when I managed to pull split below 1:43 in the last minute :!: :D

zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

Coming along nicely, Erik! :fsbgrin:
Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Recess »

Great stuff Erik!
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Thanx a lot, guys :!: :fswink:

Today: 10´R22 2835m 1:45.8. Used to do +2900m, but my old and weak self must be content with todays effort... :wink:

Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

After the very motivational meeting with other FSs at Madchester thought I would keep motivation going by doing a couple of markers for the C2 rankings: 500m in 1:28.1 and 100m in 16.1 :D :D

Paul Victory
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Liefcat wrote:After the very motivational meeting with other FSs at Madchester thought I would keep motivation going by doing a couple of markers for the C2 rankings: 500m in 1:28.1 and 100m in 16.1 :D :D
Not that shabby for a couple of markers! ^O^ ^O^ ^O^
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Jon
True Free Spirit

Post by Jon »

Very nice times indeed Erik, in fCt, according to your own reckoning (table of PBs), these are new PBs. Awesome, well done :!: :fswink:

Rowing for health
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Thx, Paul & Jon :!: :fssmile: :fssmile:

Jon, you probably mean SBs. I´ve tried to change my table, where the SBs are from last season, but didn´t work out so I will probably try to delete the SB part of it, as changing it all the time would turn out very time consuming for me.

Obviously, the first result of the season is an SB by default, but some of them are also faster than last season, so although my times are not as fast as they used to be, there´s some truth in them being the fastest in a long, long time... HDed after 1k on a 2k today, as punishment did a 5k, which quite surprisingly turned out to be an SB: 17:37.7 8)

zootMutant
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

As Paul says, very nice times for 'markers'. Well done! =D>
Liefcat wrote:HDed after 1k on a 2k today, as punishment did a 5k, which quite surprisingly turned out to be an SB: 17:37.7 8)
:fsbgrin: Not bad for punishment duty! :fsbgrin:
Jon
True Free Spirit

Post by Jon »

Ah yes, my confusion Erik. A little way to PBs yet, but it's early in the season, and I think it will be a good year!

I like your 2K punishment, a very tasty 5K. Definitely the right way around to have things, having the aerobic base first.

Back to some steady training for me today with a 3*12' with 2'r, average pace 1:49.9. Slightly slower than one from a month back, and it's only training. Followed this by a slow 5K (1:57/500m average), but good to bank some extra meters.

Rowing for health
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Jon, that´s the way to do it - aerobic training :!: =D> =D>

Scary to me how (bad :!: :lol: ) my (erging) endurance is at the moment - 10k Thursday in 37:14.8, no training for 2 days, will get another shot at the Nonathlons today... :D

Edit: This evening did a 6k, struggling with a lot of particles from diesel: 21:26.4. Good thing about getting old: easier to get +900 in the Nonathlon... :lol: :wink:

Jon
True Free Spirit

Post by Jon »

The good thing is though Erik, you do know how to improve aerobic performance and it looks as though you've already set about it. Those long Northern days are only going to help matters with your outdoor activities typically increasing this time of year. I've never done the nonathlon, though I think you've got an excellent track record with it so pleasing there are some things getting easier.

I am tending to keep reminding myself that Graham Benton is as old, yet not far off the times he used to be capable of (though he is somewhat an exception to most rules)! There may be some hope for us mortals!

Some more steady aerobic base work for me.

5/21 15:10 1:00:00 1:00:00 15204 24 149avEHR 01:58.3 av/500m
5/22 13:14 3x10:00/2:00r 30:00.0 8119 27 166avEHR 01:50.8 av/500m
5/23 19:53 10000m 38:18.5 10000 24 146avEHR 01:54.9 av/500m

Felt really tired today so had a rest from exercise. I was tired yesterday and still exercised after a very long day at work. Probably will rest also tomorrow then probably do a long bike ride on Thursday so long as the weather is not too bad. I've lost a bit more weight, so even without gains in fitness, I'm looking forwards to seeing whether it translates to increased average speeds.

I have a few days off next week so typically find I can push much harder then with training, hopefully can make some gains, but I need to keep the longer game in perspective. :roll: :lol:

Rowing for health
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Well done for keeping that aerobic building going, Jon :!: =D> =D> Very impressive while you are busy elsewhere :!: =D> =D> I can feel you are really looking forward to those bike rides, no doubt your weight loss will have a positive effect on your climbs :!: 8) And interesting to see you push extra on your days off, certainly looks promising to me with those HR scores you had :!: :D :D

Yeah, funny with that "Northern" thing - of course everything is relative but I don´t feel I´m living that far North... :wink: Inspired by you to take my seat off to clean it, unfortunately also got to put it in the wrong direction, which made my recent 6k not so pleasant afterwards... :oops: :oops: Anyways, it´s fixed now - so back in the sadle - as they say :!: :lol: Yesterday, 30 minutes translated into 8275m 1:48.7 27 and today really felt that aerobic boost on the Hour of Power: got to 10k in 36:24 (the other day did 10k in 37:14) and ended up at 16402m 1:49.7 28, last season´s best was 16316m... :D But got brought back down to earth - only got 932 Nonathlon points, but actually glad that I was happy about the result, more important than what Nonathlon "thinks" :!: :idea: :wink:

Jon
True Free Spirit

Post by Jon »

Just had a look at the ctc scores, reminded to look by some talk on FB, and noticed you've significantly improved your score Erik. No surprises then this moth! You've shown improvement already on your distance work also with those other pieces posted, 30m at 8275 is moving back to your original form territory. Your 60mins score is very impressive, I thought your aerobic base would return pretty quickly (and there's more 'easy' improvement yet with such big leaps there. That's hilarious I inadvertently inspired you to change the orientation of your seat! Hope it was worthwhile and it's running more smoothly now. Well done with your nonathlon result also.

I've had to take a little time out from rowing. I'm not sure why, perhaps after doing the 3*12 then 5k, but I developed like a pressure sore / bruise ' laceration on my derrière (more like lower back really) and rowing on it once more made it excruciating to even sit down. With all my complaining, I was banned from any further erging! I did do my 20mile (just less than) bike route though because this didn't apply pressure to the same area. I managed a PB since recorded it on Strava, with 19.4mph average. On one of the Strava segments, I improved my time from 4:20 on last ride to 3:40 this time around. By no means back to where I used to be when I cycled regularly, a long way from it, but a decent improvement and I felt like there was a little power there at times.

I might be good for erging again soon, having had quite some time off. I see the ctc is still showing on the website, so might have a final crack at this, though it's probably not a good idea training wise, I"d be better with UT1.

Rowing for health
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Sorry for the long delay, Jon, have been busy in other areas :!:

Yes, did a good last ctc in May, was struggling a bit, but the finish was better than expected, more or less confirming the good fitness I felt at the beginning of May, but didn´t feel I could show at Madchester. Did my 6k SB with "reversed" seat, and that was enough to cause "derrière troubles", I was a bit surprised - having done a 100k without any significant troubles. But with the seat right again, the troubles disappeared. But all in all - the seat runs more smoothly now... :D Not been doing much cycling in the very nice wheather lately - but did 2 times 2 circuits, and all have by far been the fastest for me this season :!: :D Had a good first ctc attempt 9 days ago, got to 8214m, a couple of times I have stopped after 18 minutes (5052m and 5053m) - so surely I can still improve, but right now feels difficult with the relatively good 1st attempt. Now fortunately I have Feltons very fine 8342m to chase... 8) Have been busy learning sculling (1x), been out OTW 3 times and have made significant progress if I may say so myself, next time Tuesday - looking forward to it :!: 8)

Congrats with your recent fast cycling lately, Jon - and hope you are already back on erg - so you can keep your erging up to your fine level without too long interruptions :!: :D

(Just saw the SBs (that I entered about a month ago) appeared in my signature - so now I have tried to delete the SBs, so hope they will disappear at some point...)

Jon
True Free Spirit

Post by Jon »

Hi Erik, I was going to post last night, though I was cross with my PM4 as it lost my workout and that sapped my motivation.

I saw your ctc and also Feltons, both very impressive times and as you say, there is time yet for improvement. Sounds fun your learning to scull, I'm not surprised you're taking to it quickly, you've rowed sweep before so you know about the balance and I think good erging technique definitely helps ... and having the requisite fitness. It's something I'd love to pickup again. I've done more sculling over the years than rowing and actually prefer the freedom of being able to go out whenever (though I did have a stint of sculling in a double).

My erging has kind of fizzled a bit, and my enthusiasm to push so hard at training in general, though I feel motivated to pick things back up again. I've been continuing with the cycling and rode the local MTB centre at Llandegla again last Thursday on my enduro bike. I had improved across almost every previous section by comparing on Strava and felt much more energetic. I was 1300th out of 14500 on the 3mile climb, which is not too bad consider I've not been doing too much cycling and wasn't really trying for a good time uphill. I'd like to get back on the road bike again, feeling the improvements (which are easy to gain initially) is good fun.

I did get back on the erg last night. I programmed in 30mins just as a re-introduction. After 10mins, I thought I was close enough to 24spm, things slipped a bit to 26 for 6mins or so, but I dropped spm then to around 22 for remainder. Finished a bit chaotically with just over 8050m, but the darned PM4 crashed, so I can't be 100% I managed 24spm. Still, should be able to muster a far better go ... I hope, not sure how much better presently :lol: :roll: Doubt I'll be troubling either of you , I can dream though :wink:

Rowing for health
Jon
True Free Spirit

Post by Jon »

10K last night after work. 37:41, average splits 1:53/500m. Average spm 24

Felt good, TE was 4 on the watch (not uploaded yet to Firstbeat Athlete, sometimes it's different there). Compared to a 10K I did about 1month ago, 20seconds slower with a slightly higher average end heart rate than before. I'm not too disappointed having not rowed for the best part of two weeks.

Rowing for health
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Ooooh - how very frustrating when the PM4 broke down on your ctc attempt, Jon :!: :x Good fighting spirit getting through the 10k - of course not in a time you would normally be proud of - but a very good step in the right direction :!: =D> =D> Had almost forgot you have did some sculling - you certainly has good long limbs for that :!: 8) I can certainly relate to your wanting to get the "initial" improvements to build on in your cycling - can you improve your uphill climbing with your recent weight loss :?:

I also had a good cycling experience the day before yesterday. Earlier I had done the fastest circuit in 34´05" - but managed 32´59" (though - 15y ago I could probably do it in less than half an hour)... Yesterday, sculling was a bit difficult with wind, stream, waves and other boats to mind as well. Still I had problems getting speed but at the end the coach asked me to do 5 hard strokes - and then 10, and for the first time I could feel some speed. Will try to keep on this type of exercise - and would be nice if I can keep it for more than 10 strokes :!: 8)

Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Sorry - long time no see - been busy... House, work, OTW etc...

Hope you still have time for cycling - and then maybe some erging, Jon :!: 8) Been waiting to see your ctc result...

At the beginning of the month I felt quite confident that I would be able to improve on my initial attempt, and once I got some few metres further - but not what I expected. Jeff from PP wrote on FB that OTW training doesn´t get hard in the same way as on the erg, and I think (hope) he is right. Anyways, been making gr8 progress balance-wise in the 1x, but still a lot of work to be done. Did one final ctc attempt today, but seems like I am only able to keep the steam going for approx. 5k, ended up at 8237m, and have been doing several +8200m attempts during the month, well it felt like good training, but maybe it wasn´t enough...After todays erging I inaugurated my new gps-watch measuring "my" circuit - it turns out to be 17.3k. Todays time was 35´42" - also a bit slow... So think I at least have the intention to make some progress next month... :wink:

Jon
True Free Spirit

Post by Jon »

Apologies for the lack of activity on here. There has been a relative lull in training for me. Good to see you are keeping everything going though Erik with some commendable erging in addition to cycling and sculling! It's such a beautiful sport, and I'll bet you've a lovely place to row, plus the best time of year no doubt.

Apologies for not posting a time. I'd done 8050m and my PM4 crashed a couple of weeks ago. This was quite demoralizing and probably put me off erging somewhat. I rowing 7950m thereabouts on 30th, but forgot to enter the distance in time and then it was onto the next month. It's surprising how quickly times decay! Still ticking over I suppose with the erging, I did another 30mins and 10K this week. Mainly been concentrating on mountain biking recently. I did Coed Llandegla today and last Sunday, really pushed very hard both times and TE on Suunto was 5. I was around 285mls/Kg on EPOC today, perhaps higher at times. Endurance is definitely better than it was a few months ago due to the cycling. I need to do a bit more on the road bike also.

I spent this morning rebuilding both wheels on my new MTB. Fortunately I have all the tools including a wheel truing stand and taught myself how to do it a few years ago. I"ve become somewhat proficient now and managed to completely rebuild both wheels in just a couple of hours (perhaps a bit longer). I had bought them instead of building them from a well known and supposed wheel specialist shop. There were two spokes which had almost detached from their nipples. The difference on spoke tension was incredible on both wheels. All fixed now, and I cleaned the chain. Good feeling to have clean shifting!

Hopefully I can pick things back up also on the erg this month and contribute to the ctc.

Rowing for health
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Most impressive you can build a cycling wheel practically from scratch, Jon :!: ^O^ ^O^ Must admit I tried something similar many years ago - luckily I have forgotten all the details, but it didn´t turn out right - not at all... :lol: I guess my limit is to adjust a few spooks... Well, I know you have a lot of bicycles, Jon, and now you have even more - or at least more wheels... Good thing you keep up the cycling work - a bit surprising maybe that you got TE=5, but anyways cycling is excellent training :!: 8) I guess it´s ageing and not enough regular training that keep you (me included) from reaching your former heights, so the trick is to lower expectations and build from there. Hoping you can contribute to our ctc this month :!: :fssmile:

Really no structure on my training at all. Been out a few times in 1x, a couple of times I was up our local river. It´s the biggest river in Denmark and more water flows through it than the entire water consumption for the whole of Denmark. When tide is going out the stream can be very strong. There are some bridges and pillars one have to cross, and a couple of times it was a bit critical because the boat got pressed towards the pillar. But quite luckily for me I saved it every time. But right now there´s vacation time in our sculler school - starts again in August. Not much erging either from me, hope to improve my initial time for the ctc :!: :D But right now I´m away on work on a remote island - I don´t actually think there´s a single erg on the entire island, if so it must be private. So once again a lot of good intentions - hope to get erging back on track after I return home on Thursday... [-o< :fswink:

Daffy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Daffy »

Firstly - Erik, your English is a thousand times better than my Danish, so the following is not meant to offend...
Liefcat wrote: I guess my limit is to adjust a few spooks...
Perhaps taking free SPIRITS a little far? :lol: (ghoulish laughter)