Training towards a 6:20 2k

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Re: Training towards a 6:20 2k

Post by zootMutant »

Thanks Matt! One of these days...

I am currently working on my fear of confinement (flying). :oops: Barbara assures me that some people quite like being cooped up in tiny boxes for 18 hours at a stretch and I should give it a try. Maybe next year... I'd love to spend some time in Wales and Scotland. :fsbgrin: (My wife will go at the drop of a pin!)

Cheers,
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

So fantastic to have you back, Mat :!: :fsbgrin: Been reading about your marvellous and courageous efforts in the tri area on Facebook :!: ^O^ ^O^ No doubt your physical abilities are still very, very good :!: 8) Yes, we have had this discussion of FB vs. FS, and I guess the score is much better for FB, but still a very rich collection of training sessions here :!: :D :D

Yes, I would have guessed that the erg is not too hard on your ankles... Good thing you can use that during the time of the injury, and also very nice attitude that you get on it, even though the times are not exactly the ones they were 4-5 years ago... :o

I guess you don´t have read through the last few years of this thread - so just a little summary from me... Also struggling to see the same old times (well, sub 18 I can surely relate to that :lol: (no offense :wink: )), but quite surprisingly I have gotten my sense of balance back - and now I´m doing a lot of OTW in the single sculler, well at least as long as the wheather permits it... Also moved to a house in the country side - that is - every second week I´m working on a "remote island" where I have an appartment. Very important for me what my cat thinks of this arrangement - but she´s fine with it sofar :!: :D :D

Anyways, would be very nice if you keep posting your sessions here, Mat, so you can bring this thread back to life... (sort of) :fswink:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
Mat
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Mat »

Great to hear from you Erik, and even better that you seem to have found a great balance in terms of both life and rowing :D :D It sounds as if you've had a great summer getting back on the water, and have also found an idyllic place to live for much of the time too :fsbgrin: I'm sure that your cat will soon become acustomed to the new place 8)
Liefcat wrote:...we have had this discussion of FB vs. FS, and I guess the score is much better for FB, but still a very rich collection of training sessions here :!: :D :D
... nice attitude that you get on it, even though the times are not exactly the ones they were 4-5 years ago... :o
I never really did enjoy the FB rowing stuff (I preferred the smaller groups here), and for the last few months have barely even looked at FB - you certainly don't miss it :lol: I tend to use Strava much more now, but of course that's geared up more for running / cycling. In terms of times vs previosu years, I did comment to Lee on Strava recently that it's really quite satisfying seeing almost daily improvements rather than grinding away for months on end in the hope of shaving off fractions of a second :!: :x

To that end, I am enjoying rowing again, but thought I'd better have a go at a 5k, just to see if I could do sub 18' :? So jumped on this afternoon and managed 17:50.1, so definitely sub 18', and I'm happy with that after about a dozen sessions, all at 30' / 10k, even if it is over 1' away from my PB :lol:

:fsbgrin: :fsbgrin: :D :D
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Great to see you back Mat and in pretty good shape too :D :wink:

Please tell us about your Triathlon escapades and runs [-o<

We could do with your great efforts on the CTCs we have slipped down the lists the last few years :D

Next month is right up your street a 10k-as you have been doing a few of them recently from your notes to Erik and Rodger.
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

I rarely look in on this thread as it's so far away from anything I will ever be able to achieve but I noticed a certain Matt Leonard's name on the metreboard with some recent high activity the noticed the name on this thread too - so 'I'd like to welcome you back also :D

Zoot - I remember that you hinted at a Madchester visit would be awesome and now you are hinting at visiting Wales and Scotland. Matt's cottages are a pleasant 2 hour drive to my place if you wanted to tie in a visit to Wales and do Madchester 2017 in the same trip that could work out nicely :D :D
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
zootMutant
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

plummy wrote:Zoot - I remember that you hinted at a Madchester visit would be awesome and now you are hinting at visiting Wales and Scotland. Matt's cottages are a pleasant 2 hour drive to my place if you wanted to tie in a visit to Wales and do Madchester 2017 in the same trip that could work out nicely :D :D
Oooooh. :P That is very tempting. Madchester is usually in the Spring, right?
Paul Victory
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

zootMutant wrote:
plummy wrote:Zoot - I remember that you hinted at a Madchester visit would be awesome and now you are hinting at visiting Wales and Scotland. Matt's cottages are a pleasant 2 hour drive to my place if you wanted to tie in a visit to Wales and do Madchester 2017 in the same trip that could work out nicely :D :D
Oooooh. :P That is very tempting. Madchester is usually in the Spring, right?
It's more like late Spring/early Summer. This year it was on the 14th of May, previous years it was held in June. We actually had better weather in May than in the two previous Junes, but any earlier would probably be asking for trouble, weather wise.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Mat

Post by Mat »

Thanks all for the great welcome back :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin:
strider77 wrote:Please tell us about your Triathlon escapades and runs [-o<
Not sure everyone will be interested, but as you asked, I'll sum up the last few years as quickly as I can...

In summer of '12, I was struggling to keep the intensity of erg training going (combination of lots of work for marginal gains, and complications caused by an underactive thyroid) :evil: and so entered my first triathlon in the Sept. For the next few years, I entered each of the three local tris (Slateman, Snowman and Sandman, in various locations around Anglesey and Snowdonia). I enjoyed them, but in the end struggled to find the time to spend the necessary hours on the bike, though was really enjoying the running. Sooo... after last year's Sandman, I entered the Marathon Eryri (6 weeks later) as my first ever marathon (and one of the UKs toughest!) :twisted: After winter training, I went for the Manchester marathon, but managed to "fly 'n' die in true fashion (1:35 first half, 2:02 for the second!). I'd intended to do Chester and Eryri this month, but ignored an Achilles niggle in the week before the Snowdon race [-X and did it anyway... I finished the race, but almost 2 1/2 months later am only gradually getting back into running :?

I'm far to heavy to be a decent runner, but enjoy the personal challenge, and sit at 1:25 for the HM, sub 19' for the 5k and 39' for the 10k so I'm happy with that. Aiming for the sub 3:15 marathon next year [-o<
strider77 wrote:We could do with your great efforts on the CTCs we have slipped down the lists the last few years :D

Next month is right up your street a 10k-as you have been doing a few of them recently from your notes to Erik and Rodger.
Well I gave the 10' a shot yesterday, which was a shock to the system after all the 30' and 10k stuff, but at least with 2881 / 1:44.1, I can be confident that I'm at least sub 7 on the 2k! :fsgrin:

So I've tried a 10k this afternoon, and figured 37' should be achievable, so happy with 36:47.3 (1:50.3) as its only 2' off my PB :lol: I'm sure there's better to come as I'm hoping to maintain at least a couple of erg sessions pw, even as the running comes back on stream (hoping for no further setbacks there)

The last 30' was somewhere around 8200m, so that's coming back nicely too :fsbgrin:
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Yes, Mat, I can certainly remember that 1hr25 HM you did from Facebook, that´s certainly a more than decent achievement. Maybe I also read about your FM, but 2hr02 that certainly sounds like a tough going on the home run (believe me, I´ve been there, think I have done something like 2hr15 on the home stretch, as my worst) :!: :fssmile:

Hope I already said welcome back, Mat, it´s certainly nice to have you back in the ctc - as long as you don´t push me out of Boat 1 - or whatever... :fswink: You inspired me to have a go at the 5k the other day: 18:08.1 - at least I was closer to 18 minutes than you were :!: :lol: :lol: You already have a very decent 10k for the ctc, did mine a bit quicker today, though: 36:37.2 (only 2 minutes from my PB :lol: ). Hoping to do a sub 36´ before the end of the month, but not sure it will be enough to beat you... :fswink: :fswink: :fswink:

Met with Jon at the last Madchester "summit" - and he explained he is also very keen on Strava, explaining how motivated he got by seeing his gains... :wink: I´ve been to the last 2 Madchester events, of course there were some of the usual suspects, but also a lot of new faces :!: :D :D And certainly would be gr8 if you came around Manchester, Zoot, at some point :!: 8) And Mat´s cottages, of course :!: 8)

Anyways, personally I´m really decided to get on my erg each day, like I used to, 4-5-6-7-8 years ago. I´ve done 5 days in a "row" now, and really feel the difference. Yesterday I did 6x 1´+2´, that was a very important element in my training 7-8 years ago, and I feel it can become that again, or at least I hope so... 8)

strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Thanks for the update Mat, some very respectable times there well done =D>

I used to do a fair bit of running when in my 20's, 30's and final proper race when 40 when I managed around 37 mins for a 10k, was probably around 12 and a half stone then not the 14 stone plus of today :oops:

I really enjoyed reading your exploits and can empathise with the running with an injury I think we have all been there.

Great to see your fantastic efforts on the CTS-welcome back =D> ^O^ :wink:
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Fantastic running times, back in them days, Alan :!: =D> =D>

Been away from each-day-erging for two days - but back today and cut off a couple of minutes from my HM SB: 1hr19:27.7. Kept HR around 140 most of the time - AvHR was 137...

Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Dream goal this month: sub 36 on the ctc. Another step in the right direction today: 6k in 21:33.5 1:47.8 30spm AvHR=139 :D

Mat

Post by Mat »

strider77 wrote:...when 40 when I managed around 37 mins for a 10k, was probably around 12 and a half stone then not the 14 stone plus of today :oops:
Thanks for the kind comments Alan :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin: That's a very impressive time for the 10k =D> =D> I can confidently say that I'm pretty unlikely to reach either 37', or 12 and a half stone :!: :lol: :lol:
Liefcat wrote:...as long as you don´t push me out of Boat 1 - or whatever...
There's no chance of that Erik [-X A nice early 10k performance from you already, and its very early in the month =D> =D> To be able to jump on and do a solid HM, indicates some very good endurance, and then with your 6k "tester", I've every confidence that the sub 36' will be well within reach by the end of the month :twisted:

I've just done a couple of erg sessions this week, as I've gradually been building up the running to a full 10k today, with no real adverse reaction from the ankle (some aching, but no pain) 8) I am hoping to get a session in tonight while the kids are swimming (Fridays they do early morning and evening :shock: ), but haven't decided whether to do 30', 10k or some 1k intervals :?

Monday's 30' came in at just under 1:49 average pace, and then on Wednesday I set up a 10k, but knew from the beginning that my heart wasn't really in it. Kept a steady 1:49.9 to see how that felt, and HR was still sub 150 by the time I baled out at at 6k to go off for a 5k run. Next time I try the 10k properly, I'll aim for that pace through to 8k and then see what's left :D
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Thanks Mat, its like the old days on this thread again :D

All we need now are Jon-an intermittent but recent visitor and Jason and Doc Slow Row to have most of the old gang back together.

Many thanks to Erik for keeping the thread going :wink:
Mat

Post by Mat »

strider77 wrote:Thanks Mat, its like the old days on this thread again

All we need now are Jon-an intermittent but recent visitor and Jason and Doc Slow Row to have most of the old gang back together.

Many thanks to Erik for keeping the thread going
Cheers Alan :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin: Not sure how long I'll last, but hopefully I can keep some erging going - I'm feeling it is doing my all-round fitness good :D
Mat wrote:...but haven't decided whether to do 30', 10k or some 1k intervals :?
...so, what actually happened was that I set up a 10k, rowed the first 4k at around 1:49.5... slowed a little for the next 2k but maintained the average at under 1:50... then a few hundred metres into the 7th k I found I'd stopped :oops: ...so I started up again :twisted: , for a bit :? , then slowed for a bit :oops: , then sped up :twisted: , then decided I should just make it a rolling interval session :^o , then remembered I needed to nip to the shop before the kids swimming session finished #-o , then convinced myself that because I'd run a 10k this morning, it would be okay to stop [-X , and anyway, I'll do a proper 10k on Sunday :^o and...

I think you probably get the gist by now :oops: :roll: :lol: :lol:

I'll let you know how Sunday goes (running tomorrow) :fsgrin:
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Thanks, Al! :fssmile: Must admit I´ve been busy on other areas of my life or even my "sports" - so difficult at times, and when others are posting regularly it´s easier to come across the excuses and actually write that new post :!:

Yes, actually my 6k was similar to yours, Mat, I guess we both have to be around or above a HR of 150 for the last half of the 10k to get a substantial improvement on our times sofar this month... And my thoughts are also, that in the past we were beyond 150 for much longer than that...

Was very nice to meet Jon at Madchester this year. Exciting to hear about his training - and also his work and life in general. My impression is that he is very commited to cycling, and it seems to me that his improvements come easier in that field than in erging... No doubt he has a great potential in both areas :!:

And my impression from Lee is that he is very into cycling these days with TTs and stuff, and he also wants to take on Track :!: 8) He posted a couple of erging sessions on FB, not sure if he has done more than that...

Well, anyways, if the Forum Police isn´t watching, I would like to say that cycling in particular has also been beneficial to my erging times, or at least in the past, so in my view you could post cycling or running sessions here as well... :fswink:

And it seems to me that Jason is very keen on using FB for posting sessions, don´t think I´ve said to much if he likes to do Strength Training and some kind of erging intervals along with it :!: =D> =D>

Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Yesterday no erging, so fresh legs today. Choice was a 10k once again, with focus on the process and not blowing up. Some 21 secs faster (and new SB), and keeping the hope for a sub 36 alive: 36:16.6 1:48.8 28spm :D

Mat

Post by Mat »

Liefcat wrote:Some 21 secs faster (and new SB), and keeping the hope for a sub 36 alive: 36:16.6 1:48.8 28spm
Very nice Erik =D> =D> =D> and with 3 weeks to go, am confident that this points towards a sub 36' before month's end :twisted: :fsbgrin:

I tend to keep track of Jon and Lee through Strava, and it's imprssive to see their continued cycling performances - Lee especially seems to think nothing of taking the scenic route home from work, and incorporating a 100 mile detour on the bike :shock: :shock: ^O^ I'm in agreement with you that cycling and erging are very complimentary in terms of cross training, though I must admit to doing very little cycling this year :oops:

Had a go at the 10k again myself this morning. Kept the pace a little more conservative for the first half (sub 1:51 rather than sub 1:50), so I reached 5k with the HR still below 150, and then gradually upped the pace to come in just under the 36:30 mark at 36:29.1. That'll do for now :fsbgrin: I'm not expecting to be below 36' by end of month, but confident of moving at least a little closer :D
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Mat wrote: I tend to keep track of Jon and Lee through Strava, and it's imprssive to see their continued cycling performances - Lee especially seems to think nothing of taking the scenic route home from work, and incorporating a 100 mile detour on the bike :shock: :shock: ^O^ I'm in agreement with you that cycling and erging are very complimentary in terms of cross training, though I must admit to doing very little cycling this year :oops:

Had a go at the 10k again myself this morning. Kept the pace a little more conservative for the first half (sub 1:51 rather than sub 1:50), so I reached 5k with the HR still below 150, and then gradually upped the pace to come in just under the 36:30 mark at 36:29.1. That'll do for now :fsbgrin: I'm not expecting to be below 36' by end of month, but confident of moving at least a little closer :D
I think I have said it before, but Jon had to explain to me what Strava was at Madchester :!: Yes, very impressive TTs from Doc, at some point I seem to remember he did 80k (whatever that would be in miles :-k \:D/ ) in a little less than 2 hrs - a real specialist :!: ^O^ ^O^

I actually bought - or rather ordered - a TT bike, I can go and get it next Tuesday. I´m excited about what the right TT posture can do for my speed - no doubt it will be faster than it is now - but how much :?: Today for me, 9k in single sculler, it was cold, rainy and windy... You can see more data here: https://mysports.tomtom.com/app/public/ ... R2uuCoJKA/

Yes, I knew you would do a very impressive 10k, Mat, and I´m sure you can go somewhat - if not a lot - faster when you put your mind to it at the end of the month :!: =D> =D>

Mat

Post by Mat »

So Erik - how is the TT bike :?: :twisted: :-P Hope you managed to pick it up this week, and have had a chance to take it out for a spin :D :D

I've been able to get running again this week - the most I've done since before the injury. Keeping it to around the 10k ish distance to ensure I don't put back the recovery, and maintaining a modest pace, and it's going well so far :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin:

Still managed a few rowing sessions this week with a R24/sub 140bpm 30' session on Monday (ave 1:54.5), a hard but not exhaustive 30' on Wednesday (1:49.6), and a 5 x 2kr1' session this morning averaging 1:49.0 Happy with that :D :D
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

That´s very promising with your running without significant problems, Mat :!: :D I guess you experience a drop in pace but I´m sure you will soon catch up with it - and at the same time having a safe approach :!: Also very promising erging sessions, you really stick with it, and I´m sure you can make significant improvements on the ctc when you want to :!: :fssmile:

I have been "far away" this past week - at work on my "remote island"... I could actually come and get my TT bike this past Thursday, but then again I was too far away. Going "home" tomorrow - and I might have made it to the bike shop late Monday. But must admit I´m pretty tired after 7 night shifts in a row - and then travelling half the day with no sleep - and on top of that the shop assistant that ordered it isn´t at work before Tuesday - so I´ll go there with my measurements and UCI rule book to ensure all the "distances" are just perfect for me... :D

Wheather is a bit bad here - so I probably won´t be using my new TT bike a lot - but definitely going to try it out a few times :!: 8) I have decided to keep my erg on this remote island - so in the coming week I´m going to go by bike to the rowing club - that´s 15 miles each way - so I definitely have the potential to get in a very good shape... :D

Yesterday 30 minutes - got to 8050m 27spm, not to hard, but I have definitely lost some erging shape after being away from it for 6 days, I have been out on my bike instead - with the intention to get well accustomed to the TT position, so it won´t feel too awkward once I get my TT Bike... Really looking forward to it :!: :D :D

Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Got my TT Bike yesterday - fantastic feeling... Either it was built for me, or I was built for it... :lol: :wink:

Yesterday, at my rowing club: 5k in 17:56 followed by 4x250m+2´. Today 6k 21:22.2 1:46.8 28spm: HR reached 150 with 1300m to go - AVHR was 141. Still looking on track for a sub 36 ctc this month... :D :D

Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Next step in my interior monologue... Can´t remember who called me a whimp - yes, that´s me... Or rather who I have become. Trying to say goodbye to this depressing stage - by setting my 3rd SB in 3 days... Today 5k in 17:28.5, and sub 17:30 was a marker, too... If I want No 4 in 4 days, I think I should choose the 500m tomorrow...

CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

You don't sound like any 'whimp' to me... Great job with the training and glad you like the bike!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Mat

Post by Mat »

Liefcat wrote:Got my TT Bike yesterday - fantastic feeling... Either it was built for me, or I was built for it... :lol: :wink:
...or perhaps a bit of both :fsbgrin: :fsbgrin:

Sound like you're flying on the erg again now after your (very) brief rest from it =D> =D> ^O^ ^O^ I'll look forward to hearing about the 500m and your aim of 4 from 4 :twisted: :twisted:

Just a couple of easy 30' sessions for me last week, so I decided that it was about time I had another shot at the 10k. I headed out to the barn and wrote down my previous splits and (more importantly) HR data on the blackboard in front of me, and got going. The aim was to better pace in each of the 2k splits without going over the HR.

It worked! Splits better throughout, and really controlled to about 7k (1:49.9, 1:49.6, 1:49.5, 1:48.8, 1:45.7), and HR below previous point at the end of each split...

The result was 15" off the last attempt, and just managed to duck under 36:15 with a blast in the final 300m - 36:14.4, 1:48.7, 27, 151

It does put me just ahead of you in Boat 1 Erik... but only until your next attempt :lol: :lol: