Training towards a 6:20 2k

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: Training towards a 6:20 2k

Post by Liefcat »

Most impressive restricted hour PB, Jon :!: ^O^ ^O^ ^O^ ^O^ ^O^ ^O^ ^O^ And nice improvement on the ctc, though not as skyrocketing as your "other" "distances" - so we can still expect a lot more from you... :D :D And I must say I have felt on my own body how difficult 1 minute reps can be when not entirely used to them on a regular basis... :fswink:

Yes, I know you would like 1 rep more than 10 reps, Mikkel, hopefully you can sort the PM "problem" :!: 8)

And now we know that you have fired up your engines, Andy, we´ll be watching the ctc site for a stunning entry from you :!: 8)

Life has gotten a bit in the way in various ways for my erging endeavours... But Friday did 7k in 24:20.9 1:44.3 31spm... Monday did another 40 minutes: 11271m 1:46.4 31spm... Closing in on 11300m... :fsgrin: Saturday I was at a wedding, that is, it was my niece getting married at my sister´s garden party. And the priest was actually the same one from my father´s funeral services some 6 weeks earlier... :o :o Last night a really hard night shift and today a meeting with my lawyer´s secretary - taking care of a lot of the practical issues concerning the heritage - was only able to do a little bit of strength training afterwards... :fswink:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
Jon
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Jon »

Thanks Erik. Considering you've had so much going on with your work, a wedding and organizing your father's estate, you've done extremely well to train as you have Erik. 40 minutes at 1:46 takes some steely determination, very close to 11300 now :shock: ^O^ ^O^ ^O^ 8)

Amazing to be getting closer to all your PBs from as far back as six years ago. Keep this momentum going and you are certain to set several new PBs this year which will be remarkable....and I've got a ringside seat! :wink:

It's at times when I'm improving I need to just keep training. A two week trip to Tennessee without much in the way of training opportunities will be my biggest challenge this year, and resuming training when I return, when typically then I'm busier with work. No doubt a familiar story to so many!

Rowing for health
thornmaster
Rower and forum addict...

Post by thornmaster »

More good sessions from everyone apart from me. I missed a few more sessions where I really could have done something. Yesterday I did my favourite session of 3x3k with 3 rest to try and get some of my mojo back. Well I finished, but it was tougher than normal. Managed to keep the average below 1:50 and was reasonably happy with that. Still a long way to go though.
Andy 48 6'9" 125kg

Jon
True Free Spirit

Post by Jon »

Ok, so now Stateside visiting family in Knoxville Tennessee! Just arrived last night so feeling smug I've already had a workout. I'm terrible at running though it is the most easily accessed exercise. I've just been for a run around the neighborhood, two hilly (very) loops taking 11mins each with five mins rest in between, a UT1 workout as it were in the heat! Not used to running it almost killed me, the challenge will be doing something when the inevitable pain hit. I've always fallen down on exercise whilst away before, then fail to puck it back up again on my return. I feel beaten up already :oops: TE 3.0 on the watch, HR up to 175 in places :oops: , so possible a bit of TR in there also :cry:

Hope everyone's training is going well, where is everyone?

Rowing for health
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Good to hear from you, Andy, and that you keep confronting those hard UT1 sessions :!: =D> =D> =D>

And very nice running, Jon :!: =D> =D> I was just about to suggest you can always put on some running shoes and get moving... :lol: Presumably not so much TR - your HR tends to get to significant heights while training... :fswink:

Really busy at work and not much erging lately from me - not much quality in either case... Friday did the ctc again and got just above 3300m. Felt really tired before, during and after the 9th rep where I only got to 325m and considered an HD, but luckily I picked up the handle for the last rep.

Saturday I was at the Beach Party I go to every year. Very near the stage I suddenly got very dizzy - turned around to get out from the dense crowd - and then suddenly passed out like a little teenage girl... :lol: :lol: Well - not much "little" about my +100kg - hope noone got hurt from my fall..... :oops: Anyways - the surrounding people must have helped me up again - got back to my car and sipped a little water and took a few pain killers - and back I went - cause I had decided I wanted to see the Italo Brothers close down the Party - like they do every year - just not been there to the bitter end before - absolutely stunning and amazing performance... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Today back to my 40´ sessions - just wanted to get back in the game with 11k: 11081m 1:48.2 30spm. Very humid in the gym...

thornmaster

Post by thornmaster »

Went for a bike ride yesterday as the gym was closed and too hot to row in the conservatory at home. Think that is the first time I have been out on a bike for training (riding before has always been with family or to the shops/pub). Covered about 20k in around 1hr 10 min with just under 300m of climbing. Was nice to get out into the local countryside and I think I'll try to include more rides in my training while the weather is nice. I did learn that while I like climbing I'm definitely not built for it at 115 kg :fsgrin:
Andy 48 6'9" 125kg

Jon
True Free Spirit

Post by Jon »

Whilst you might not have been training to your usual volumes Erik, a c2c and 40 mins of fine quality will still be keeping the cogs moving very nicely, and the break will no doubt aid useful recovery.

There's no better cross training than cycling Andy, a very useful mix to improve your endurance and no doubt also help with strength on any of those climbs.

I know how weighing a lot affects things where hills are concerned! I am very keen to get back on my bike, plus I've got a new MTB I'm building, based around a Santa Cruz Tallboy long travel carbon frame .... I just can't afford the components now :lol:

I've continued to be active, the running has beaten up my legs but I've kept walking an hour a day and today did an hour or so of swimming, some of it spent splashing the children! Hopefully erg fitness won't take too long to re-establish.

Rowing for health
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

I just love your strategy, Jon: If you can´t erg, then run. If you can´t run, then walk. If you can´t walk, then swim. If you can´t swim... then relax and have some beer... :D :D Looking forward to those MTB reports :!: 8)

Yes, cycling is excellent training, Andy... Yes, I believe that 115kg is not ideal for competitiveness... Just as long as it´s flat you should be able to get significant pace through your immense power, and climbing is excellent training, still :!: :idea: 8)

Summer heat is not too kind towards my endurance endeavours, so have cut off some these last few days... Yesterday, stopped at 20 min: 5652m 1:46.1 30spm. Today 4k in 13:48.3 1:43.5 32spm. Also been including some weights, for instance Squats and Good Mornings... :fssmile:

strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by strider77 »

Good to see you big boys having fun :wink:

Erik your 10k and hour times are amazing this season, very very close to your PBs, you must let me into your secret-I need all the help I can get as an almost 63 year old midget (in rowing terms at least!).

I like your style Jon, I went for a lovely early morning run a few weeks ago and it was really great and have been going swimming once a week for the last 3 weeks, I may even go for a run tomorrow if it's not too hot-around 30 degrees C here today :shock:

Andy, the bike is hard and unforgiving for larger framed guys, keep with it, it's good training :wink:

I look forward to reading more incredible exploits, always read but do not come in to comment very often :oops:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Thanx for the visit, Alan :!: :fsgrin:

I´m sure you know most of the secret: beginning with Jason´s (or was it Stewart Wyllie´s :?: :fswink: ) 31 days of December. Like you I found it very rewarding to go at a challenging pace towards a distance of less than 10k, which I later repeated with a lot of 30 minutes rows: day in - day out. For the past month I have done some 40´ rows - clearly aiming at endurance and eventually perhaps an hour PB. Right now I have a lot of other stuff on my mind - a lot of work and managing my father´s estate and so on. On top of that the heat makes hard longer rows very demanding, and I guess I will rather play safe after my litlle "incident"... So right now doing some shorter erging stuff, some Watt Bike intervals (for instance 1´ on/1´ off or 40" on/40" off) and strength training. :D

Today I did 5 minutes 1´ on/1´ off first on the Watt Bike (av. 367 watt) and then on the erg: 1482m (319m - 258m - 317m - 265m - 324m)... 8)

Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Heat wave now also in Denmark... Yesterday 6k in 20:49.0 1:44.0 30spm (Jason´s Facebook Challenge) and today 6x1´+1´: 1993m 1:30.3 39spm... Can still hope for a little improvement in the ctc... 8)

Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

A bit quiet in here for the summer... 8)

Much heat here in this part of Europe - until today done some shorter pieces...

Thursday: 2x750m+4´: 2:22.3 - 2:21.4.

Friday: 15 min: 4353m 1:43.3 31spm.

Saturday: 10 min: 2981m 1:40.6 31spm.

Sunday: 2k 6:35.2 1:38.8 33spm.

Today: 40 min: 11165m 1:47.4 29spm. Temperature down to 28 degrees today... :lol:

Jon
True Free Spirit

Post by Jon »

Thanks for keeping the thread alive Erik despite the intensity of the heat, you've continued to accomplish more formidable training leaving with even more catching up to do (but I'll enjoy trying)! It seems as though you've been working a lot on the shorter distances at very high intensity.

Thanks for your visit Alan. You are probably in better shape proportionately than I, with perhaps a few more reserves / vestiges of youth and more considerable bulk (some not wanted) and longer levers to help spin the flyweel!

I like your c2c Watt bike / C2 session Erik, I bet other gym users wondered what the heck was going on (but I'm sure they kept well clear to allow you some room to groove)! ^O^ =D>

Extremely nice Facebook challenge and very fast 6*1 intervals, I bet there is something more you can do in the c2c yet. I don't know whether I can get moving enough to improve given the relative lay off, and I don't know whether it is sensible to try just yet. A fine most recent tally of sessions with a highly commendable 2K, especially in heat!

I've not too much to report, though I have kept some training going and have actually lost around 4lbs whilst in the USA, which is no mean feat with all the food. We found an excellent Mexican restaurant which served enormous portions which we visited twice! Sorry, err, training, I walked pretty much every day (bar one or two), swam most days (on one day I did 300 lengths of the pool, 150 on another), and I did 4 running sessions. These were quite short and violent in the very hilly environment. I think the longest session was 2*15 on the first day. The longest single session was 20minutes when I took a wrong turn in the neighbourhood!

We had a journey horribilis on the return flight when part of the baggage floor was damaged and required a spare part to be located and installed ... whilst we sat on the runway, adding 2hours to a long journey ... 24hrs door to door in total, arrrgh! We returned Sunday, now it is Tuesday and I feel up to some training, not sure what to do, just to get back on the erg would be good!

Rowing for health
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by Wolfmiester »

You can do it Jon!
Maybe just a gentle 10k whilst watching the tv :-)

Erik - amazing. Love it.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Jon
True Free Spirit

Post by Jon »

Thanks Steve! 10k it was :!:

36:47.3. 1:50.3. 23. 169avEHR TE on watch was 5.0

That was tough, a baptism of fire which was not planned but probably inevitable! It is interesting to see quite how much the initial losses are, from June 8th:

35:49.4. 1:47.4. 24. 170avEHR

Almost a minute for almost identical average heart rate / effort, but I know gains should be swift especially with the re-establishment of those neuromuscular pathways. Despite the workout and cleaning windows last night for an age, I still didn't sleep at all well so no workout this morning (except the coffee press) :lol:

Rowing for health
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Thanx, Wolfie :!: :fssmile: Keep up the good work :!: :D

Definitely showed some character after travelling a long, long time, Jon :!: ^O^ ^O^ And then - no less than a 10k... ^O^ ^O^ Maybe you lost a bit pace during your vacation - but we all know how fast the fast pace comes back to you... :fswink:

Extremely hot yesterday: 1500m in 4:56.4 1:38.8 32spm.

Today a bit cooler - but still hot - and HD after 20 minutes of a proposed 30 min: 5703m in 20:01.9 1:45.3 30spm...

Jon
True Free Spirit

Post by Jon »

Thanks Erik, I did though have a days rest the day after traveling, which was a bit lame, but listened to my body :lol:

A fast 1500m, at just less than full 2k pace? Certainly followed by yet another high (for the uninitiated.... Or even initiated) pace 20mins even f you did stop short of the intended 30' and great training. Commendable to do this in the heat!

Just a 40' session today, I had an extreme day at work yesterday, very busy then called straight from daytime job to cover an ill doctor in our most busy base, lots of very sick children last night :(

40 10325. 1:56.2. 20. 155

Heart rate response not settled but could be stress of travel and sleep still, plus need to still re familiarize :wink: those are my excuses anyway!

Rowing for health
Mat
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Mat »

Just a very quick visit guys - was in front of the PC with a few minutes spare and thought I'd look in

Great to see so many solid training sessions going on - keep up the good work Erik and Jon =D> ^O^ =D> ^O^ =D> ^O^

I must confess that I haven't sat on my erg since April, and even stored it in a corner of the barn a couple of weeks ago as I needed the space. I may soon need to put a blanket over it though, as it glares at me every time I go in to get my bike out!

I'm really enjoying running and cycling at the moment, with open water swimming starting to come a little more regular (though tide dependant) now that the summer is here. Almost broken the sub 42' 10k on my regular route, and most cycle sessions are now averaging over 30 km/hr so it's getting better.

Next tri is about six weeks away, and the final one early October after which I'll hopefully get back on the erg and set myself a few targets for the winter period. Mind you, after 6 months off, and now weighing about 85kg, I'm not looking forward to the first few sessions

Take care, and keep on pulling the chain :D :D
53, 6'2" and trying to get back to 95kg post hip replacement. Looking back fondly on past achievements I've no chance of repeating
Jon
True Free Spirit

Post by Jon »

I was just wondering how you were getting on Mat, and had expected to see you back on here late Autumn like last year. No need to apologize for substituting an indoor sport with 'proper outdoors stuff' though 8) You are in a great environment for swimming, running and cycling (though perhaps a little windy for the latter at times). You'd have to be mad almost to be on the erg ... like so many of us are, certifiably! [-X :lol:

Good luck with the triathlon preparations, weighing in at 85Kg is surely a huge advantage to adapt yourself to triathlon. I always found with cycling, my weight used to drop off quickly with a good volume of training. A 2.5Kg weight gain, and it feels like someone's pulling you back on the hills with rope. I can't remember how much you've lost, but surely it must be in excess of 5Kg at least (more like 10Kg)? ^O^ ^O^

I lost weight in the USA, around 2.5Kg, despite eating very well. I did concentrate on eating as many veg as possible and upped my fruit consumption considerably. I particularly devoured a lot of cantaloupe, strawberries and kiwi fruit, though only when hungry. The running I did (OK only four sessions) was on steep roads, much probably around 1/4 gradient and I really felt my weight. It was very hot and I did drink loads of fluids.

I wonder whether the weight loss, coupled with effectively three weeks off (when you factor in not training immediately before and after holiday) has lost me quite a bit of erg fitness.

Today 40' again, felt easier mind,
40' 1:53.0 22 166avEHR

I've not had such a high HR since before December, and I'd not been training much prior to this point. So it would appear I've lost months of fitness ... yes, I'm sure I can get a lot of this back and probably quickly, but it is easy if not determined to lose heart! I have been hammered with work this last week, hence not done nearly as much as would have liked to.

Rowing for health
thornmaster

Post by thornmaster »

Nice to hear from you Mat, keep us updated on your triathlon training and comps.

More good sessions from Eric and Jon as usual. Most impressive was the fact than Jon managed to loose weight while in the US, most people seem to come back at least half a stone heavier.

I'm still struggling with motivation and finding time to train while working shifts and family comitments. July was another month of little training and handle downs when going a bit faster. Managed to complete the CTC on the last day again, so was probably a bit conservative to make sure I finished.

July CTC
1 313 1:35.8 r29 2 314 1:35.5 r29 3 313 1:35.8 r29 4 313 1:35.8 r29 5 313 1:35.8 r28 6 313 1:35.8 r28 7 313 1:35.8 r28 8 314 1:35.5 r28 9 313 1:35.8 r28 10 333 1:30.0 r30
Today Thought I'd get an early go in for this months CTC.
1500 4:59.5 1:39.8 r27 1000 3:17.0 1:38.5 r27 500 1:31.6 1:31.6 r30 T 3000 9:48.2 1:38.0 r28
Followed up with a 5k
5000 18:55.0 1:53.5 r24
Andy 48 6'9" 125kg

Jon
True Free Spirit

Post by Jon »

Well done for getting a late c2c entry in Andy for July and great first attempt on this months, seems like you're already making up for the HD's. It is always worth dropping the pace and hanging in there if at all possible, the final result is usually far better than the HD demons would have you think 8) It's certainly not easy with family commitments to get anywhere near potential. Paul Buchanon had said to me, just try and get a gentle 30 minutes in ... still difficult when feeling tired and pressured, but it does help get the cogs turning and usually helps productivity.

Great go also Erik on your first c2c attempt. I'm expecting a great list of training pieces forthcoming, which will make me feel lazy again :oops: :roll:

I've struggled with work since returning home, being called in for additional busy sessions on four consecutive standby sessions on top of my regular sessions, plus my day job. I think this has played a part in the high heart rate response. I felt a little more lively today after getting in early last night (half past midnight)!

3* 12' with r3' average pace 1:48.8 (final HR something like 179) rate was about 23
Pretty gruelling session and compares to a similar session in March (except then had 2 minutes of rest).

I definitely fought for mental strength to continue especially to start the third rep, but did let the pace gradually slip ... no option otherwise really! Pleased with the final result. I hope to concentrate on these UT1 intervals and to try and get sub 1:45 again on 2' rest eventually ... first target sub 1:47.5 average.

My weight continues to fall with healthy eating which has been a particular challenge with the weird shift pattern. 222lb's today though probably a little dehydrated before starting exercise, present goal is sub 220lb's, then onto sub 215lb's hopefully which should be about right unless I can integrate some weights ... something I've always failed to manage ...then I'll see how I feel!

Rowing for health
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

As Jon said, well done for getting that late ctc entry done, Andy - I was afraid you weren´t going to make it in time :!: =D> And stunning new ctc attempt :!: ^O^ ^O^ You actually beat me... :lol:

And good going, Jon, with those 3x12´ - I am sure the pace will soon get back to where you want it to be :!: =D> =D> =D> 8) And interesting with your weight loss - and what effect it will have on your erging :!: :idea:

If you find yourself struggling a bit, Jon... I can surely relate to that. Friday and Saturday went for a bike ride near my father´s house - I can feel the power coming back slowly... :D Sunday was the day of the ctc - went fine in the 1st rep - then in the 2nd one had a major "energy" crisis with 400m to go and again in the last one didn´t feel 110% on top of things... Went something like this:

1: 4:56.4 1:38.8 34
2: 3:17.8 1:38.9 34 :oops:
3: 1:34.6 35
T= 9:48.8 1:38.1 35

Yes, I surely agree with Butch that a 30 minutes is always beneficial - it´s just that with my current level of energy I can only row for 20 minutes... But went very fine today: 5734m 1:44.6 29. One positive experience after several handling and slowing down incidents lately... :fswink:

Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

Yesterday´s 20 min after a hard day at work: 5635m 1:46.4 29spm

Today´s after a not so hard day: 5762m 1:44.1 31spm

Has a bought a barbell and some more weights so am doing my training at home now - which hopefully will help me focus better during training... :fssmile:

Jon
True Free Spirit

Post by Jon »

Amazing what a difference intensity at work can make Erik, though there's nothing you've done which could be considered as rest, or even remotely close it! Good to be mixing in the cycling, i would imagine you've been helping sort your Father''s affairs, since you live some way away from Copenhagen, probably not easy but great to be out cycling especially with the fine weather. (I'm assuming you've been enjoying nice weather also). Some very good training as usual, I'm not surprised power is returning, especially with the focus on shorter stuff.

I've done two 40' sessions Thursday and African, 1:53.x and 1:57.x I think around R20, HR response not much better yet, it would really help to get some cycling in also.

Today between two work sessions had a quick go at the c2c... I was a bit hot after cutting the grass, strimming and edging so was quite pleased in some respects, overall average was 1:36.6, I managed around 1:36.5 for first, 1:37.x on second and I think. 1:33.x on third. I had done 2K in 6:24/6:25 I think a month or so back with relative ease, so was a bit dismayed to have to work so hard during the first 1.5Km, I really struggled on the second interval and the third hurt, but not as much. I had hoped 1:35 would have felt possible but not by how I've been since returning from holiday. I'd like to have another go, but no point until feeling a little stronger as that was close to maximal effort... Off to Deutchsland soon though, so the training may yet get wurst :lol: [-X

Rowing for health
Jon
True Free Spirit

Post by Jon »

3*12 with 2:30' rest; 10014 1:47.8. 23 :D

Planned pace was 1:50/500

12. 3315. 1:48.5. 22. 164
12. 3332. 1:48.0. 24. 169
12. 3368. 1:46.8. 25. 179

Very pleased with this as it represents a 1sec/500m improvement over my last attempt and it felt easier, though probably just because of having had a good nights rest and the day off training yesterday, plus I only worked half a day with the evening off and had a lovely meal out with the family. Amazing what a break can do, feeling back on track now, but another holiday looming :roll: 8) :)

Rowing for health