Metronome/Control Freak

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Metronome/Control Freak

Post by Thomas W-P »

Not sure how to post this on ELM or even whether we could. I often do long (10km+) rows at heart rate of 130 and strokes per minute of 22.

To keep myself focussed I have recently tried to get as many strokes in a row that are exactly 130/22 on the PM2+ readout. I count from the end of the stroke and any deviation at all on the readout is a default.

My record is 5. :(

Anyone beat that? :P
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
PSims
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

HR stuff.

Post by PSims »

One of our new guys was telling me he rows for long periods at Heart Recovery Rate. This is 80% of Max HR. So it varies per person. I tried it today at HR 145 with split of 2:06 and felt I could keep going much longer. It was comfortable.

Possibly good for fat burn too?

Max HR supposed to be 220 - age although other ways give different results but they tend to hurt. I'm 43,so 220 - 43 is, er, um, doh, 177, 80% is err....142 - so it works.

How about 15k at recovery HR?
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

I did this post the other day since we had an assembly at school...

The bottom line is that it is not 80% of your 0-HR max spread but 80% of your resting to HR max spread.

You should find that your 80% is higher than 145.

(posting because anything is better than marking obsolete science GCSE coursework. On #1 out of 28 :-( )
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

My metronome best today was 3 :(
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Constant split

Post by webberg »

I don't have a HR monitor mainly because I've got a very low resting rate and the ranges never seem to work for me.

I do however try to keep a constant split on long rows. Today I managed 18 at 2:09 during a 15k. If I'm allowed to go 1 sec difference (in this case up to 2:08 ) I did 43.

Does this count? :?:
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Thomas W-P

Re: Constant split

Post by Thomas W-P »

webberg wrote:I don't have a HR monitor mainly because I've got a very low resting rate and the ranges never seem to work for me.

I do however try to keep a constant split on long rows. Today I managed 18 at 2:09 during a 15k. If I'm allowed to go 1 sec difference (in this case up to 2:08 ) I did 43.

Does this count? :?:
I think the rules are that neither stroke rate or heart rate (I know you can't do that) can change at all. What would you get if you were not allowed to fluctuate at all and stayed at 2:09?

About the "ranges" - they **should** work even with your very low resting rate - if you know your maximum. When it is 80% say, as I understand it it is 80% of the gap between resting heart rate and maximum heart rate.
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Heart rate

Post by webberg »

Thomas, I have a resting rate of around 42. Maximum I don't know. I have used a cross trainer in a gym with the hand grips. This I could peak out at 169/170 whilst working quite hard. I suspect that if I went to exhaustion then I might get a few more.

Your calculation for 80% should get me 42 + (170-42)*.8) = 144. yes?

When I used a cross trainer at less than 150 I was basically SLOW. I would not be happy at that pace on the erg and suspect that I would lose interest quickly.

I have a birthday later in the year. Perhaps I'll drop some hints and get a HR monitor. Do I need a piece of software for the PM3?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904