Racing the 2k - Pacing and Rating Advice

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Racing the 2k - Pacing and Rating Advice

Post by Mike Channin »

Thought I'd share this with you all.

May not be the quickest way to row a 2k, but it does make sure that you get to the end.

Row the 2k as four quarters. Row the quarters FAST, SLOW, SLOW, FAST. This makes best use of the fact that you're fresh at the start, and that after 1k relatively easy, you can time your sprint to the line better. The easing back at 500m REALLY helps you to feel you'll get to the end.

For me, when competing in the Grand Prix series a few years back, I'd aim for 1:40, 1:44, 1:44, 1:40 ish (total 6:48 ) or similar, and hopefully if I got it right, I'd pull a bit inside all of them.

Oh, and make sure you have the PM2/3 on Average Split so you know how you're doing.
Last edited by Mike Channin on Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

Yes, the most important thing is to know what you are aiming for. I do it slightly differently and try and maintain three even splits and build through the last 500m.

In Mike's scenario where he is aiming for 1:42 throughout I would probably do splits of 1:42, 1:42, 143, 1:41 (in my dreams). I find that doing it this way, the first 500m feels pretty easy and they you have the confidence to keep it going.

For me, the most important thing is to relax in the middle 1000m and not worry if the split dips below my target.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Further info on this from some people who know their stuff:

http://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=326

Seems they advise AGAINST a fast first 500m. Maybe I'll have to revise my race plans! :D
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
johnglynn
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by johnglynn »

I think the fastest way for me is

Cruising speed is about target pace+1

Start 0-300
Row extremely fast for the first 5 or so strokes, then gradually slow down to your cruising speed. You should be getting to your cruising speed around 300m in .
Note
I know the muscle science says a fast start is a no no but ...
1 - I think It throws your body quickly into race mode . When I got my heart monitor I used to max my heart out only at 1200m in of a 2K . I couldn't reach my Max on either a 500m or 1K race . I think the quicker the body (I'm thinking more heart, lungs and brain then muscles) gets up to speed the better.
2 - A 2K is a very fast race . I do relativly little training at or faster then 2K pace . By going a few strokes well faster then your cruising speed, it makes your cruising speed seem not so suicidal.
3 - The current World Champion Graham Benton rows his first few strokes very fast . This doesn't mean of course it's the optimal strategy, but it is a very good one . Otherwise other people would be faster, or his top coachs would have told him a better strategy.

Middle 300-1600
Row at around cruising pace this whole time . I tend to slow down slightly up to 1200 in at which point I pick it slightly up again. Speeding up to the End.

End 1600-2000
Gently up your pace and try to start going 100% at 1700 in . Try to pace your sprint to stop at 1900, your momentum and dying strokes will keep you fast in the final 100.
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Another relevant thread on the UK forum has just started.

http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... 66&start=0
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

New thread on the UK board about optimum stroke rates for the 2k.

http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11817
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Xeno Muller's pacing guide for the 2k.

http://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=57777#57777

He _doesn't_ use a negative split.