BIRC 2006 + weight loss.

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

BIRC 2006 + weight loss.

Post by Thomas W-P »

So, I have entered BIRC, and my plan is to row the following:
  • Sub 7 minutes
  • Under 18.5 stone
Any tips/rough programmes on how to knock 14lbs off my weight and 9 seconds off my time in two months?

If one was to slip - I would prefer to be sub 7 than sub 18.5 stone!
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
PSims
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Have you seen this?

Post by PSims »

Have you tried this guide....

http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/downloads.php
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

Phil

Post by Phil »

Thomas the easy part is losing the 14lbs, just cut out all the junk in your diet, I lost 2 stone earlier this year by cutting out biscuits,all sweet stuff, and started eating more stir fries, pasta dishes and drinking more water instead of tea/coffee.
As for the time improvement review your training, my motto is "you only get out what you put in" ie intensity, endurance & power
Thomas W-P

Re: Have you seen this?

Post by Thomas W-P »

PSims wrote:Have you tried this guide....

http://www.concept2.co.uk/guide/downloads.php
No! I have printed the appropriate pages. I am guessing I am "fit" rather than "trained". BUt I will follow the trained programme anyeay ;)
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

I am starting the "Trained" programme today on week two session two. I chose trained not because of my finely sculpted six pack ;) but because it is six sessions a week - something I think I need to do to keep having a go at the weight.

I have worked out my UT etc. using a resting of 60 and a maximum of 190 (I got 192 on my 500m effort the other day when it got pretty ugly, but have not seen above 186 before).
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

My big piece of advice would have to be, pick one of the two to aim for - weight loss OR 2k improvement. Trying to do both will hinder your chances of doing either.

The theory says, concentrate on training to improve the 2k time, and the weight should come off by itself. Doesn't work for me though, although the weight redistributes towards the shoulders and away from the gut...

What %ages did you use to calculate UT, etc. Are you going to post the ranges given for others to see how you did it? Also, you hit 192, so use 192 as your max pulse.

And as you've entered the race, that also suggests to go for the 2k time improvement. (Note that there's nothing to stop you doing plenty of low intensity distance as well as high intensity stuff - I do just that. The trick is to make sure the low intensity enhances your recovery from the high intensity, rather than hindering it.)
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

I will post my ranges another time - they are pinned to the wall in my office/gym. My UT1 is 158 though - =60+((190-60)*0.75)=157.5

I was wondering about doing the long low intensity pieces as well as the 2000m training. Can you do both? Not sure I will have the time once term starts.

2000m time is definitely my target - and I am not worried about gut moving to shoulders since that has already started to happen - as long as the gut moves that is OK!
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

Well, as far as I can remember on the usual plans, the UT1 and UT2 stuff IS the long low intensity stuff. Not certain I'd call 75% WHRR low intensity though.

I've also seen the training bands done by %age of 2k power, but trying to use that sent me hopelessly outside the HR ranges I wanted to stay within. So at least the HR controlled bands seem more sensible and realistic (and cover issues like HR drift and HR variation).

All my weight loss from the 7 x 50k has now shown to be muscle, as the harder training has started to bulk me up again, and the weight is back! Guess I'll never be a lightweight again...
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)