Useful Resources and Threads

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Useful Resources and Threads

Post by Mike Channin »

This section is for useful resources on the internet in general. It also contains references to useful threads from the Concept2 main UK/US forums.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Mike Channin

Excellent Discussion of Steady State Training

Post by Mike Channin »

Excellent Discussion of Steady State Training on the C2 UK forum:

http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... sc&start=0

(Ignore ranger and his witterings - the rest is a very interesting and well informed discussion between a lot of the most knowledgeable forumites)
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Had a look at that thread last night got half way thru all the postings but the idea of splitting an hour session into 3X20 minute sessions 2 MIN RECOVERY appeared to be the overriding message being pushed. So I gave it a go 1.59, 2.01.9 and 2.09.9 were my splits. Woldn't usually row that fast over that hour period so hopefully I will start to see a benefit, AND BURNT 200 MORE CALORIES!!!

By the way Ranger makes some of our members looked positively sane!!!
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Glad you found it useful Neil.

I think to summarise, it said that you can work a little higher intensity by doing say 3 x 20', rather than a single 60', although you should be careful not to up the intensity too much, which is where training by heart rate becomes useful. Most of the longer sessions in the usual programmes are UT1 or UT2, which aren't supposed to be too hard. So don't overdo it.

That said, Mike Caviston, advocates a single longer piece sometimes as it forces further adaptation compared to shorter 'intervals'.

Oh, and Ranger is a complete fruitcake. It'll be worth going to BIRC just to see if he turns up. There is another topic running, started on July 18th requesting him to post information on the timed piece he was supposed to do. It currently has over 140 PAGES of postings, mostly his deranged gibberings, but interestingly NO actual concrete times. But he's going to break the world record at BIRC, so he doesn't care. Have to admit I've been following it - better than comedy!!!

JanetS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by JanetS »

Mike Channin wrote:There is another topic running, started on July 18th requesting him to post information on the timed piece he was supposed to do. It currently has over 140 PAGES of postings, mostly his deranged gibberings, but interestingly NO actual concrete times. But he's going to break the world record at BIRC, so he doesn't care. Have to admit I've been following it - better than comedy!!!

Was curious - so visited........
:shock: :shock: :shock:
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Like Michelle i dipped my toe into that thread. The narcissicism(?) split all got too much for me. Surely just call Ranger a w8nker and be done with it.
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

Interesting thread on steady states and breaks - thanks for the link Mike. Shame Ranger had to hijack it :x . Couldnt be bothered to read all the 140 pages on the other thread :shock:
Like Gooner I will give this a try just out of interest. However my main priority is training for a marathon in October so I would say for me there is no substitute for getting used to rowing for a long period continueously. Still in total awe of your 7 marathons in a week exploits.
pb times
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Split my hour row into 2 x30 with 3 min rec. Did 7607 (pb) and just paddled the second 30 mins. Psychologically felt better have done the first part of an hour row fast then second slow but the clock slowly ticking down has always been a drag (no pun intended). SPM still crap though don't see how you girls and guys pull a fast/medium time at 20-24 my little body won't play at those rules!!!
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

C2 US Site piece on racing for the first time

http://www.concept2.com/05/training/com ... _intro.asp
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

New thread on the UK training forum about the benefits of doing a HM a day in training - seems appropriate for all you distance junkies out there.

(Actually, that includes me, as I'm trying to cover 21k on each rowing day)

Oh, and don't get sucked into reading the "Ranger, timed pieces" thread (as Gooner Neil did). After all those pages and innumerable promises, the best so far is "I did a time but I'm not posting it". Not worth wasting your time with... (him, or the thread)
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

New UK thread on the use of ultra low stroke rate training in the context of the overall training plan.

http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11943

Started by Terry O'Neill, who knows his stuff, and no sign of DeRanged yet (but sadly, probably only a matter of time).