An accuracy challenge rather than a power one?

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

An accuracy challenge rather than a power one?

Post by Thomas W-P »

I had an idea for one that tests accuracy. Thought of calling it the "Bull's Eye".

1) Set PM to "Just row"
2) Row 2000m in EXACTLY 10.00.0 minutes. You have to row continuously and then stop. No titivating at the end.
3) This is a split of 2:30 I think which (hopefully) all of us can achieve. It might be a struggle for the power boys to row so slow though. My heart bleeds. ;)
4) The problem is recording the score. You want a high score to be the winner. I thought the score could be 100-(seconds you miss x time you miss x 10)
5) I could even make a web page on the site to calculate it if that helped.

Thoughts anyone?
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

First, you'd need to put in on distance or time, rather than just row, as just row continues for about 4 seconds after you stop, which would ruin the result.

This is actually quite easy to do, within a second or so. I do this on an irregular basis for a heart rate comparison where I keep the pace exactly the same as previous pieces to aid comparison.

But an interesting idea, nonetheless.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Good idea.

You might want to expand the scoring a bit. It would be relatively easy to do 3 x 2:20 ans 1 x 3:00 and get a perfect score. As this is an accuracy challenge, each 500 split should be at 2:30 with deductions from the 100 base for missing.

Also should the penalty for missing "below" i.e. 2:25 and not 2:30 be more than for missing above?

Presumably this type of challenge could be applied to all distances, i.e. 10k in 45 minutes or 6k in 25 minutes?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
PSims
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Try this - 10 min or more

Post by PSims »

Make it a 2k distance challenge. Record the time taken on ELM
The lowest time gets ranked first - everyone else above 10 mins ranked lower which is correct.

Any entries under 10 minues DO NOT COUNT and can't be entered!!
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

Thomas W-P
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

Mike Channin wrote:First, you'd need to put in on distance or time, rather than just row, as just row continues for about 4 seconds after you stop, which would ruin the result.
But that is the whole point. You have to let go and trust to your skill when you throw a dart at the dart board.

I like the suggestions re not scoring if you are under 10 minutes.

I also had the idea of a "500m blindfold" row too (or any other distance) - where you row with your eyes shut and stop when you think you are at the 500m mark. Same rules apply. Under is not allowed and your score is 500 less the distance over.

This too rewards skill not power and might be more popular. Tamsin says "She might do it", but is "more likely to keep doing her half hours" (no imagination that woman...) (ouch!)
51 yrs - A cyclist these days