Injuries.....:(

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

Erk. This is a thread Free Spirits effect I don't want to jin in with.

BUT, my self selected "injury" is still causing me grief. But at least I am able to row gently and can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Max - GO TO THE DOCTOR!
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
MaxDev
True Free Spirit

Post by MaxDev »

Thanks for the opinions everyone. Having read up a little on it, I don't think it's gout as it's not joint pain (or particularly localised), although the skin was red and hot to the touch.

This evening the skin is less red, just slightly tender and still a little inflamed, but there's no actual pain. Depending how it feels in the morning, I might row tomorrow night, or (more likely) Wednesday night.

If that causes a recurrence I may have to seek medical opinion, but, as I found once before, it's a right pain trying to see a doctor when you're staying away from home... it's alright if you're staying somewhere for LESS than two weeks, but if it's more, then you have to go and see your own GP (which sounds completely the wrong way round, but apparently isn't).

The cold I was showing symptoms of on Thursday night and that gave me a weekend of misery also seems to be clearing up now, so I may only lose a couple of days rowing from this.

Max
Maxim Devereaux
32, 6'1", less than 100kgs if I'm lucky

PBs:

Designed for living; built for erging
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Well, I am pretty sure that I now have a haematoma as a result of my vasectomy. I have a large and painful lump in a personal place that I would not wish on anyone.

This means no rowing at all. I am sitting on the sofa, legs akimbo feeling sorry for myself. Off to the GP on Monday.

Slightly concerned that my return to rowing might have made this happen though the sudden onset of pain was more than 24 hours after my row the previous day.

I suspect all I can do is wait, but one option is more surgery.

Glum. I'll wait for the GP's advice if I can get to Monday.
extremeclimber
Free Spirit

Post by extremeclimber »

Thomas,
Speaking from experience (shudder), :(
I thought that I would be up and rolling 2 or 3 days after mine --
It was a week and a half before I felt normal (as if I know "normal...). I was able to work after a couple of days, but it was a good 2 weeks before I was able to do easy workouts. Stick with it.
btw - a good single malt makes wonderful medicine :wink:

Paul
Laititia Par Dolerum

Jessica-Red
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Jessica-Red »

I have yet ANOTHER ear infection when will it ever end!
taken a month to get a referrral to hospital and now have to wait 2 MORE months for my actual appointment! :? :( :cry:
Carole Sergeant
15 million meters achieved Dec 30th 2009
4.5 stone weight lost since mid Jan 2009
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

this morning I have no voice just a croak accompanied by sore burning throat and cough !!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
TODAY IM NOT ROWING!!!! :? :? :? :? :?
Carole Sergeant
krisplus5
Free Spirit

Post by krisplus5 »

I'm extremely bummed-out right now. I hurt my shoulder in a workout last week. Saw the doc last night. I've strained a rotator cuff tendon. And rowing camp is less than 2 weeks away. If I reschedule camp for later in the summer, I'll lose substantial deposit. I'm not sure which would suck more: losing the deposit, or going to camp and not being able to row. Possible that neither may happen, but right now I'm not feeling very optimistic.
Cheers,
Kris
[giving up on PBs and SBs. Just Row.]
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

Sorry to hear about the injury Kris. Hope you recover quickly -- but it is important you give yourself the chance to recover and dont go back into it too soon. Have you talked to the rowing camp people about the circumstances - they might be reasonable about the deposit.
pb times
krisplus5
Free Spirit

Post by krisplus5 »

I called the camp, and they're being reasonable about it. I'm ambivalent about dropping out now, but think I have to be realistic about being 100% in a week and half. Damn! Well, there are worse things, for sure.
Cheers,
Kris
paulguk

Stiff Neck !!

Post by paulguk »

Anyone experienced a stiff neck as a result of erging ? !! Last couple of days I have had a pain low down on the left side of my neck. All the symptons of sleeping in a draught!

I have increased my intensity over the last 2-3 weeks and am now doing double what i was before that but then pain has only been in last few days.

I suspect it is the rowing but don't wnat it to be since that will mean scaling down or stopping. Also if it is, why one -side ? poor technique ? and why now ? !!

Anybody else suffered the same ?

grrr
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

Afraid I can't comment on the pain in the neck Paul (can't have anything to do with our dustmen surely!) however one of the more experienced rowers, or even medicaly trained, team will be along with a comment or two.
Welcome to the team and the forum.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
krisplus5
Free Spirit

Re: Stiff Neck !!

Post by krisplus5 »

paulguk wrote:Anyone experienced a stiff neck as a result of erging ? !! Last couple of days I have had a pain low down on the left side of my neck. All the symptons of sleeping in a draught!
Yep. I know that pain. Right now I have a shoulder injury that I'm rehabilitating. It is getting better though. When I complained about the neck pain to my doc, he said it's very common for folks with shoulder injuries to complain of neck pain first, mostly due to a weak shoulder encouraging shrugging motion to make up for loss of strength. I noticed this motion at the finish in my stroke.

So, you might want to reduce your DF, pace, or combination a bit until your shoulder has adjusted to your increased regimen. Concentrate on your form, and keep your shoulders low. Don't over-do it. And see a doc if it doesn't improve.
Cheers,
Kris
paulguk

Post by paulguk »

Thanks for your thoughts Kris. I have done anything for a couple of days and was going to stay off for a couple more to see if it eases. The pain does feel as if it is moving towards the shoulder or perhaps just because of your suggestion !

I think it started after I tried the CTC 666m challenge last week !
paulguk

Post by paulguk »

Thought I might as well give an update......it has taken a full 10 erg-free days for the shoulder / neck to clear up. I have just done a gentle 45 minutes in a 5-10-15-10-5 step sequence and at the moment feel fine. :D .....hopefully I'll feel the same in the morning !
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

JR wishes to report she has a "sacro-iliac situation" which i smaking her row slowly and carefully
and ANOTHER ear problem AGAIN which is making her also row lop-sidedly !!!

but I am continuing albeit carefully carefully carefully
pz1800

Post by pz1800 »

Anyone have any experience of coming back after a hernia op? I had mine last Thursday. The doctor says what doctors do - he hasn't really got a clue, he's just the barber - take it slowly, etc etc. I notice Michael Owen had a double hernia operation the day after me, and it seems he'll be playing on the weekend.
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Hi pz1800 - welcome to the forum.

I had a para-umbilical hernia fixed 3 years ago at the same time as having my gall bladder out (lots of nice little holes around my middle!). These were my last 4 rows before the operation from my home spreadsheet (long before I heard of Free Spirits or that there was an erging community!) followed by the ones after the operation

Date Time Distance Ave. Split
28/10/2004 20 5013 1.59.8
29/10/2004 30 7470 2.00.5
03/11/2004 20 5028 1.59.3
05/11/2004 30 7508 1.59.9

My next rows were:

04/12/2004 10 2157 2.19.1 (scary first one)
09/12/2004 10 2348 2.07.8
14/12/2004 20 4706 2.07.5
15/12/2004 20 4879 2.03.0
19/12/2004 30 7253 2.04.1

So less than 4 weeks between the op and rowing again

Hope this helps a little

Plummy
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
pz1800

Post by pz1800 »

um - makes me feel embarrassed to complain about a simple single hernia. Thanks; hope you are fully recovered.
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

Sorry I've been MIA recently - post marathon rest followed by grotty cold.... which turned into even grottier cough....
which has now led to a rib cartilage injury :evil:
Saw doc today so now have painkillers - he reckons 3/4 weeks to heal :evil: :evil:
..since even walking jars my ribs a bit at the mo I can't see myself back on the erg soon. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anyone else had this sort of thing? How fast did you get back?
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Good to hear from you Janet. It sounds like a bowler's injury and they can be tricky. But I imagine you are not planning to bowl at 90mph any time soon.

Best wishes and take it gently...
Jessica-Red

Post by Jessica-Red »

this is what my OH had on our wedding anniversary! after Cricket and rowing !! got taken to A & E by ambulance !

back at work by end of wk but no rowing for wks after

get well soon Janet
Carole Sergeant
Stan

Post by Stan »

Sounds like the usual post marathon illness followed by something nastier. Look after yourself Janet and get well soon.
pb times
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by jainser »

Take care JS
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
BigWaveDave
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by BigWaveDave »

speedy recovery Janet