Injuries.....:(

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

mardix
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: Injuries.....:(

Post by mardix »

Paul Victory wrote:I decided not to do any erging yesterday. My back wasn't too bad today (a bit of a twinge, but I wasn't listing to the side like a drunken sailor, which is a big improvement on Friday :roll: ), so I decided to do another just row. Felt a bit stiff at the start, but I felt fine after I'd warmed up, so I ended up doing 16355m @ 1:59.2 pace.

Back to the physio tomorrow morning. Hope to get the all clear as I still have to do 2500m for this month's IRL challenge and I'd also like to have a go at the Facebook 4 x 750m challenge.
Paul, your injured, easy, slow, hurt, stiff row is faster and harder than my normal, feeling fine, all's well, no problems row. :lol:

Good luck at the physio and heal well.
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Iain »

Seconded. You are going to be signed off, you seem to have jumped the gun!

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
gregsmith01748
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

So much for paradise. My wife and I escaped the cold and snow in Boston down to Aruba. The first three days were great, but then I came down with some kind of a nasty bug. Now its four days later, I'm back in the snow and cold, and I still haven't shaken the flu. :(

Hopefully, I start some gentle paddling tomorrow.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
dr3do
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by dr3do »

gregsmith01748 wrote:Hopefully, I start some gentle paddling tomorrow.
Good luck! [-o<
mardix

Post by mardix »

gregsmith01748 wrote:So much for paradise. My wife and I escaped the cold and snow in Boston down to Aruba. The first three days were great, but then I came down with some kind of a nasty bug. Now its four days later, I'm back in the snow and cold, and I still haven't shaken the flu. :(

Hopefully, I start some gentle paddling tomorrow.
Threes days for the flu symptoms to show up probably means that you caught something en route. Unless you rowed to Aruba, you probably got it on the plane.

Speedy recovery, Greg.
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Maybe we should re-name this thread "Injuries and Illness"? I can't shake the back end of this sore throat and head cold I've had for a week and have a new symptom called "pulsatile tinnitus" which basically means I can hear a "whoosh" in my right ear in time with my heartbeat. Add to that a degree of semi-deafness in the same ear that came on at the same time - very annoying!!!
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
kirbyt
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by kirbyt »

Yeesh, Paul. This really is your thread, the rest of us are just visiting. :wink: hope you recover quickly to your former glory. Plummy, that tinnitus thing sounds awful. I get tinnitus a little bit with certain high frequency sounds (still can't get my Dad to stop whistling, he thinks everyone loves it but I digress) and it's disconcerting. I'm getting my stitches out today. I also did my first row in nearly two weeks today and it went okay! My knee still won't go quite flat at the finish but a lot flatter than pre-op.
54 years old probably around 77kg.
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Would it be possible to amalgamate this thread with the one already on the Main Forum as not all the injuries and illnesses are rowing and training related? That way nobody is overlooked, as some of us, ahem, well okay, me, tend not check this thread very often. :roll:

Best wishes to all of you who have been in the wars lately, ( thank you Kirby for the ' Kirby Katch Up ' )and hope that you'll soon be fighting fit again. :D

Jill :)
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

kirbyt wrote:I also did my first row in nearly two weeks today and it went okay! My knee still won't go quite flat at the finish but a lot flatter than pre-op.
Wooohoooo Image Image Image
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

kirbyt wrote:I'm getting my stitches out today. I also did my first row in nearly two weeks today and it went okay! My knee still won't go quite flat at the finish but a lot flatter than pre-op.

That's great news Kirby. Hopefully you'll be able to get back into regular training before too much longer. It must have been a very frustrating couple of months for you.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

kirbyt wrote:- Yeesh, Paul. This really is your thread, the rest of us are just visiting. :wink: hope you recover quickly to your former glory. Plummy, that tinnitus thing sounds awful. I get tinnitus a little bit with certain high frequency sounds (still can't get my Dad to stop whistling, he thinks everyone loves it but I digress) and it's disconcerting. I'm getting my stitches out today. I also did my first row in nearly two weeks today and it went okay! My knee still won't go quite flat at the finish but a lot flatter than pre-op.
I'd like to echo Paul's good wishes, great to hear that its over mate.

Good luck with the rehab :D
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Iain »

Great news Kirby, look forward to watching your rapid progress!

Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

It's almost exactly a year since the last post on this thread.

I've picked up a fair few injuries over the years - mainly due to overtraining and bad technique. But I'm currently off the erg because of two unrelated injuries. Both were incurred in my recent travels across New Zealand. In both cases, I fell when out walking and injured my left shoulder and left knee respectively.

The first injury was over a month ago and didn't prevent me from rowing. However, I still can't raise my arm above shoulder height without it being quite painful and it becomes quite sore if I roll over onto my left side while sleeping. The second injury happened just over two weeks ago during a descent on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing (doing this challenge seemed like a good idea at the time :roll: ). It seemed to be better after a couple of days, but got worse when I did some erging, so I took a break from erging for the remainder of my trip. I did a few k when I got home on Thursday and that made it sore again, so I went to the physio on Friday.

He's not sure if I'll need an operation on the knee, but gave me some exercises to do and I'm going back to him on Wednesday morning at which stage he'll also have a look at my shoulder. He told me to stay off the erg and avoid walking on any hilly terrain, but I'm very tempted to have a go at the CTC to keep my 'streak' going. Hopefully, common sense will prevail. :^o

Anyway, the icing on the cake arrived yesterday. Having survived 5 weeks' travels without incident, Jennifer lost her footing coming down the stairs on Friday night and damaged her left foot. It was very painful overnight, so we went to the local 'SwiftCare' clinic first thing yesterday morning. Four hours, X-rays and a walletectomy later (apparently private medical insurance doesn't always 'do what it says on the tin') she emerged on crutches, with her foot in plaster. Back on Wednesday for a possible operation to mend the broken bones in her little toe and the toe next to it.

It never rains but it pours!
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Yes, read about your trip to Australia on Facebook, Paul. But didn´t have any idea that you had hurt your shoulder and your knee... And now poor Jennifer. Take care while recovering, both of you :!: Doesn´t sound like a good idea to do the ctc - unless you do it with your "good leg" only... Best wishes :!:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

Paul Victory wrote:but I'm very tempted to have a go at the CTC to keep my 'streak' going.
Liefcat wrote:Doesn´t sound like a good idea to do the ctc - unless you do it with your "good leg" only

:roll: ^O^
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Peter_S
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by Peter_S »

Paul Victory wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul,

Ann, Dave McOnie and I just watched Boris' response to you. We think he was spot on, and that you do not really realize the seriousness of the situation! :shock:

Please take care of yourself. [-o<

Peter (& Ann :fsbgrin: & Dave)
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Peter_S wrote:
Paul Victory wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul,

Ann, Dave McOnie and I just watched Boris' response to you. We think he was spot on, and that you do not really realize the seriousness of the situation! :shock:

Please take care of yourself. [-o<

Peter (& Ann :fsbgrin: & Dave)
Peter and co.

Thanks for your concern. My laughter was directed partly at the sketch, but also partly at its aptness in describing how I usually deal with injuries.

Before I got up this morning, I was debating whether to do a 'gentle' CTC just to maintain my streak. But the soreness in my knee when I stood up was enough to convince me not to try. Well, that and Boris's video! :lol:
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Paul

Really sorry to hear of your and Jennifer's travails and hope you are both back to rude health soon

Take it easy both of you
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Jill

Post by Jill »

Paul, I’m very sorry to hear that since your arrival home, Jennifer has also fallen and hurt herself. You poor lambs.

I hope that you both get on okay tomorrow - I’m sure that everything will be fixable - as long as the patients have patience. :wink:

Best wishes to you both and take care. xx

Jill and Richard :)
Jill

Post by Jill »

Paul, glad to hear that your physio has okayed some gentle erging. ( The spellchecker changed this sentence to ( Paul, glad to hear that your psychic has okayed some gentle urging :lol: ) - does that mean that you’re not likely to need any sort of surgery. Hope so. :)

How did Jennifer get on?
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Hi Jill

Haven't got back on the erg yet, but may do a bit later today. I probably won't need an operation on my knee, but not definite yet.

Jennifer, on the other hand, is having an operation on her foot this morning. Probably in surgery at this moment. She will be out of action for around three months, assuming all goes well.

The good news is that I'm finally going to have to learn how to cook! :oops: #-o

Paul V
commodoreann
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by commodoreann »

Paul Victory wrote: The good news is that I'm finally going to have to learn how to cook! :oops: #-o

Paul V
Is it bad to say, "serves you right. " Just kidding. :wink:

We wish you both speedy recoveries.

Ann :fsbgrin: & Peter
I am not getting older, just better. (not bad for a 74 year young lady)
CRASH B silver medal 65-69 lwt 2016
33 million lifetime meters plus and counting......(05/12/20)
5 million season 4/07/11
actually 5.301,526 4/30/11
#44 on the C2 board
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

commodoreann wrote:We wish you both speedy recoveries.

Ann :fsbgrin: & Peter
Thanks for the good wishes.

Jennifer had her operation yesterday and everything went OK. They kept her in overnight, but she's home now and resting up.

I ventured back on the erg today and did a gentle 5.4k at around 2:03 pace. Felt OK, but I guess the acid test is how I'll feel tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Paul V
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Paul Victory wrote:I ventured back on the erg today and did a gentle 5.4k at around 2:03 pace. Felt OK, but I guess the acid test is how I'll feel tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Paul V
Didn't quite work out as I hoped it might. My knee was very stiff today, so I think I should probably wait until I have spoken to my physio before doing any more rowing. :evil: